Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Javascript CDN Loading Issues - Changed to Google CDN Post 303020991 by Neo on Thursday 2nd of August 2018 01:34:25 AM
Old 08-02-2018
Javascript CDN Loading Issues - Changed to Google CDN

Yesterday a couple of people on the West Coast of the US reported some issues loading the home page, and in particular it seemed like parts of the site was blocked from loading because of some networking issues.

In order to hopefully fix this issue, I have changed a couple of our Javascript libraries to load from the Google CDN, in particular:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/yui/2.9.0/build/yahoo-dom-event/yahoo-dom-event.js?v=387"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/yui/2.9.0/build/connection/connection-min.js?v=387"></script>

The two YUI libs were served from Yahoo's CDN, but this seems to cause problems compared to serving the same from Google.

If you see any more blocking issues, please let us know.

I think the problem is solved, because I tested both the Yahoo libs and the Google libs and the Google libs seem to load faster without any issues; however, we experienced an issue on the West Coast of the US, so perhaps Yahoo had a problem with their CDN.

Actually, I would like to move completely off these old Yahoo YUI JS libs, but that would mean I would have to rewrite a lot of legacy JS code to work with JQuery instead of YUI; and it's not a priority.

If anyone wants to take this huge project on, please let me know! Smilie

Anyway, I'm not convinced this was the problem for our West Coast users yesterday, because normally these Javascript libs are cached in memory, so even if the network is having problem, the libs should load from memory (or disk cache).
Javascript CDN Loading Issues - Changed to Google CDN-screen-shot-2018-08-02-124110-pmpng

sdl-config(1)						      General Commands Manual						     sdl-config(1)

NAME
sdl-config - script to get information about the installed version of SDL SYNOPSIS
sdl-config [ --prefix= DIR] [ --exec-prefix= DIR] [ --version ] [ --libs | --library-libs | --plugin-libs ] [ --cflags ] DESCRIPTION
sdl-config is a tool that is used to configure and determine the compiler and linker flags that should be used to compile and link pro- grams, libraries, and plugins that use SDL. It is also used internally by the m4 macros that are included with SDL. OPTIONS
--cflags Print the compiler flags that are necessary to compile a program or library that uses SDL. --exec-prefix=DIR If specified, use DIR instead of the installation exec prefix that SDL was build with when computing the output for the --cflags, --libs, --library-libs, and --plugin-libs options. This option must be specified before any of the --cflags, --libs, --library- libs, and --plugin-libs options. --libs Print the linker flags that are necessary to link a program that uses SDL. --static-libs Print the linker flags that are necessary to statically link a program that uses SDL. --library-libs Print the linker flags that are necessary to link a library that uses SDL. (This excludes any static objects required for linking, since these must be linked only by executable programs.) --plugin-libs Print the linker flags that are necessary to link an SDL-using object that is to be accessed via dlopen(3). This may include static objects with PIC symbol information. This option should not be used for ordinary shared libraries or standalone applications. --prefix=DIR If specified, use PREFIX instead of the installation prefix that SDL was built with when computing the output for the --cflags, --libs, --library-libs, and --plugin-libs options. This option is also used for the exec prefix if --exec-prefix was not specified. This option must be specified before any of the --cflags, --libs, --library-libs, and --plugin-libs options. --version Prints the currently installed version of SDL on standard output. EXAMPLES
gcc -o main.o $(sdl-config --cflags) main.c is how you might use sdl-config to compile a C source file for an executable program. gcc -o my_app $(sdl-config --libs) main.o util.o is how you might use sdl-config to link compiled objects into an executable program. gcc -o libSDL_nifty-1.2.so.0.0.1 $(sdl --library-libs) read.o write.o munge.o is how you might use sdl-config to link compiled objects into a shared library. gcc -o libnifty_xmms.so $(sdl --plugin-libs) stream.o blit.o deinterlace.o is how you might use sdl-config to link compiled objects into a plugin for use by another program. AUTHOR
The Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) library was written by Sam Lantinga. This manual page was written by Branden Robinson, originally for Progeny Linux Systems, Inc., and the Debian Project. SDL 1.2 2001-12-25 sdl-config(1)