Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Regarding thoughts for encourage more users to post/participate on UNIX.com site. Post 303020958 by wisecracker on Wednesday 1st of August 2018 06:35:08 AM
Old 08-01-2018
Here is one thing that might be useful.
(Apologies for typos etc...)

The 'Thanks' button could be open to the public and not to the logged in members only.
There is many a time where I have searched for something and would love just to give a thanks or an upvote because it was just what I was looking for.
It doesn't need to be hidden until logged in after all it is just a counter and you get the word 'Guest' appear on your post, whether the post is locked or not, to acknowledge the fact.

On the front page you could mention:
"If you have found a solution to your query please press the 'Thanks', <icon_here>, button on the relevant post(s)."

As it stands the UNIX pages are fast loading, nothing infuriates me more than a large page taking all day to load. I have no problem with bringing the code up to current standards but if it slows down the user experience then it is not necessarily a good move.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to wisecracker For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

New Site/Info for Linux Users

Check out this site. This will be helpful for all. Link removed. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jadebellant
3 Replies

2. AIX

Finding a specific UID on a site with hundreads of users.

Hello, I am not the AIX guru.. This might seem simple for a lot but I am not sure where to start.. So here is my question: I have a unix account on a remote site. My UID is 999999. Now I need to create my account at my main site, with the same UID. So i have to make sure the UID 999999 is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxalarie
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

documentation for beginners setup virtual site, users, mailaccounts on raq 550

Greetings to all reading this, I am a Linux/Unix newbie webmaster with a dedicated server, a RaQ 550. I am looking for some step by step documentation about managing a server with shell (not the GUI), from adding a virtual site to adding users, email accounts etc. I can find only parts of this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rolandk
0 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

How Many Technology Forums Do You Actively Participate In?

How Many Technology Forums Do You Actively Participate In? (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
29 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

How to encourage emerging users in forum to give better solution:?

Our moderators/admins/users are doing great job by sharing knowledge with each other, they do correct/appreciate us in posts. This poll is to encourage emerging users to go in a better direction, kindly do give your thoughts on same. 1- Giving them a reward/appreciation if they are... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
31 Replies

6. Web Development

Some Thoughts on Vue.js at UNIX.com

Recently, have been learning Vue and, as always, learning-by-doing, which means writing code for real-world applications. In this process, I have learned something that is not really mentioned in the majority of online Vue tutorials. Basically, when you create a Vue instance in your browser,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
squid_unix_group(8)					      System Manager's Manual					       squid_unix_group(8)

NAME
squid_unix_group - Squid UNIX Group external_acl helper SYNOPSIS
squid_unix_group [-g groupname] [-g groupname...] [-p] [-s] DESCRIPTION
This helper allows Squid to base access controls on users memberships in UNIX groups. -g groupname Specifies a group name to match. -p Also match the users primary group from /etc/passwd -s Strip NT domain name component from user names (/ or separated) EXAMPLES
This squid.conf example defines two Squid acls. usergroup1 matches users in group1, and usergroup2 matches users in group2 or group3 external_acl_type unix_group %LOGIN /usr/local/squid/libexec/squid_unix_group -p acl usergroup1 external unix_group group1 acl usergroup2 external unix_group group2 group3 NOTES
By default up to 11 groups can be matched in one acl (including commandline specified groups). This limit is defined by MAX_GROUPS in the source code. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> squid_unix_group is written by Rodrigo Campos <rodrigo@geekbunker.org> KNOWN ISSUES
Does not understand gid aliased groups sometimes used to work around groups size limitations. If you are using gid aliased groups then you must specify each alias by name. QUESTIONS
Any questions on usage can be sent to Squid Users <squid-users@squid-cache.org> REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs or bug-fixes to Rodrigo Campos <rodrigo@geekbunker.org> or Squid Developers <squid-dev@squid-cache.org> SEE ALSO
group(5),passwd(5) Squid UNIX Group helper 12 August 2002 squid_unix_group(8)