Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete oldest folder based on folder named as date Post 303020907 by humble_learner on Monday 30th of July 2018 08:29:44 PM
Old 07-30-2018
Delete oldest folder based on folder named as date

Hi,

I have a script doing backup to synology server, the script create new folder each day with the date as being folder name i.e. 2018-07-30. Just before creating the new folder I want the script to find the oldest folder from the list and delete it including its content.

for example looking at the list below folder 2018-01-01 is the oldest folder as per directory naming. I want the expect code code below to find and delete it.

Code:
2018-07-30
2018-07-29
2018-07-28
2018-07-27
2018-07-26
2018-07-25
2018-01-01

Code:
expect << 'EOF' >> $today.log
set dir [timestamp -format "%Y-%m-%d"]
spawn sftp server@ip
expect "Password:"
send "Password\r"
expect "sftp>"
send "lcd /backup/\r"
expect "sftp>"
send "cd /BackupDirectory/\r"
expect "sftp>"
send "Here I want the code to find the oldest directory as per name and delete it\r"
expect "sftp>"
send "mkdir $dir\r"
expect "sftp>"
send "put -r /backup/$dir/*.gz /BackupDirectory/$dir/\r"
set timeout -1
expect "sftp>"
send "!rm -rf /backup/$dir\r"
expect "sftp>"
send "bye\r"
EOF
}

Last edited by humble_learner; 07-31-2018 at 12:09 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i delete files in folder by date?

Hi, I have some files on a folder and i want to delete all the files that were created on July. Thanks, Kobi. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobibn
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to delete folder based on text file information

I have been working on a script to list all the name's of a subfolder in a text file then edit that text file and then delete the subfolder base on the edited text file so far I have been able to do every thing I just talked about but can't figure out how to delete the subfolers base on a text file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bone11409
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete all the files in folder a which exist in folder b

Hi , I need a script which basically deltes all files in folder a which are alreasy present in folder b say folder a has files abc.txt pqr .txt and b has abc.txt pqr.txt rmr.txt then file abc.txt and pqr.txt from a should be deleted (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: viv1
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the oldest date based on date in the filename

I am using ksh93 on Solaris. Ok, this may seem like a simple request at first. I have a directory that contains sets of files with a YYYYMMDD component to the name, along with other files of different filespecs. something like this: 20110501_1.dat 20110501_2.dat 20110501_3.dat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary_w
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To delete the oldest files in a file when file count in the folder exceeds 7

Hi All, I need to delete the oldest file in folder when the file count in the folder exceed 6 ( i have a process that puts the source files into this folder ) E.x : Folder : /data/opt/backup 01/01/2012 a.txt 01/02/2012 b.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akshay01987
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select all files in a folder based on creation date (ls command)

Hi All, <Re-posting in Correct group> I'm trying to select all the files in a folder that starts with a particular name format and are created in a gven date range using 'ls' command...but i'm not successful.... Example : I'm trying to see all the text files in a folder who names start... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satya C1
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to select oldest folder in directory automatically and log process

The `bash` below uses the oldest folder in the specified directory and logs it. The goes though an analysis process and creates a log. My problem is that if there are 3 folders in the directory folder1,folder2,folder3, the bash is using folder2 for the analysis eventhough folder1 is the oldest... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to select oldest folder in directory and write to log

In the bash below the oldest folder in a directory is selected. If there are 3folders in the directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/test and nothing is done to them (ie. no files deleted, renamed) then the bash correctly identifies f1 as the oldest. However, if something is done to the folder then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for Shell script to move files from Subfolder to Parent folder and delete sub folder

Hi Team, I am new to shell script and there is a requirement where files should be moved from Subfolder to parent folder. Eg: parent folder --> /Interface/data/test/IN Sub folder -->/Interface/data/test/IN/Invoice20180607233338 Subfolder will be always with timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivarun15
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep date pattern folder and zip -->delete

Hi All, OS: Redhat Linux 7.5 Shell: Bash I have some folder like this 2018-09-16 2018-09-17 2018-09-18 2018-09-19 and so on... Everyday one script create a folder with pattern YYYY-MM-DD (it will have so many sub directories files in it) Now what I would like to achieve is a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onenessboy
1 Replies
rmf(1)							      General Commands Manual							    rmf(1)

NAME
rmf - remove folder (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-help] [-[no]interactive] OPTIONS
Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Asks for confirmation before deleting a folder. By default, rmf deletes a folder and its messages without asking for confirmation. If you specify the -interactive option, rmf asks if you are sure before deleting the folder. You are advised to use this option, since when rmf deletes a folder its contents are lost irretrievably. DESCRIPTION
The rmf command removes all of the messages within the current folder, and then removes the folder itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not part of MH, they are not removed, and an error message is displayed. You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument. If you do not specify a folder, and rmf cannot find the current folder,rmf asks you whether you want to delete +inbox instead. If the current folder is removed, it makes +inbox current. Note that the rmf command irreversibly deletes messages that do not have other links, so use it with caution. If the folder being removed is a sub-folder, the parent folder becomes the new current folder, and rmf tells you that this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. Using rmf to delete a read-only folder deletes the private sequence and current message information from the file, without affecting the folder itself. If you have sub-folders within a folder, you must delete all the sub-folders before you can delete the folder itself. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's Mail directory EXAMPLES
This example shows how rmf asks for confirmation when the -interactive option is used: % rmf -interactive +test Remove folder "test"? y FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
rmm(1) rmf(1)