Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with PATH
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with PATH Post 303020792 by wbport on Friday 27th of July 2018 01:14:34 PM
Old 07-27-2018
Right now my script look like:
Code:
if [ $# -eq 1 -a -s $1 ]
  then
  cp -p $1 $1.bak
echo "While using vi, $1.bak has been created."
sleep 1
fi
/usr/bin/vi $*
if [ -f $1.bak ]
  then
  rm $1.bak
fi

I realize vi can edit a number of files, start at a specific position, or after a search, but we seldom use any extra bells or whistles. Near the end of a Y2K conversion script, a vi searched for "-YEAR" in the command line, but that was 19 years ago.

Thanks for looking at it, I might revisit this thread and check for new ideas in the near future.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PATH variable problem

root->echo $PATH /usr/ccs/bin:/opt/sfw/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin root->find / -name gcc /usr/local/bin/gcc /usr/local/doc/gcc root->which gcc no gcc in /usr/sbin /usr/bin Why cant it find gcc - the path looks okay doesnt it? I am running solaris 9 - and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cc path problem - no acceptable path found

Hello everyone, I'm a unix noob. I have a powerbook running mac os x 10.4 and for one of my classes I need to install the latest version of php (5.0.5). I'm following the instructions at http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/php.html to install but I've run into a problem. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kendokendokendo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

path problem

hi , i have written csh script i am unable to set PATH variable in my script. my script is like this ===================================== # ! /bin/csh -f setenv PATH "$PATH:/opt/terascan/bin" ls -l > list lspass > pas peekauto > schedule \ num_days = 1 \ exit 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

path problem

Hi i am writing a script containing processing commands which are reside in /opt/terascan/bin dir. if i run the script from command prompt it is working fine. but in crontab it is not working. if i give env command from command prompt it is showing /opt/terascan/bin dir in PATH variable. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with File path

How to pass a file path to open a file? I am using cygwin. I want to open a file from a particular path, say C:\Test\File1,. This file path is stored in a variable. I am able to cat a file like this : cat "c:\Test\File1" but i want the same thing to happen in my script file through a variable... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Problem Setting $PATH

I am trying to install the pkg-get package to a fresh install of Solaris 10. I am able to download and install correctly using the default directory for both pkg-get and wget as found on blastwave.org. When I issue the command "which wget and which pkg-get" it returns no wget or pkg-get found in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greengrass
1 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

Problem with PATH

On one of the machines at work, we had Net-SNMP 5.2.3 installed, and I wanted to upgrade that to 5.4.2.1. So I downloaded the tar file, extracted it, did the configure, make, make test, make install, and everything worked. All the executable files (like snmpget, snmpset, snmpwalk) got copied to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sllinux
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

if PATH contains a certain string problem!

Hi I am using MKS Toolkit c shell. I want to basically check if my PATH variable already contains a certain path directory so I tried this (it didnt work!): if: Expression Syntax if ( echo $path |grep -c c:/PROGRA~1/blah/blah ) then please help me get this little statement to work. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vas28r13
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with spaces in the path

Hi all, I have a variable test has the following value assigned.. could you please help on doing cd or ls to the value in the varible ... $echo $test /bdm/sdd/compounds/AD4833XT/requests/clin/Watson_20090420/docs/MHRA\ Comments\ \&\ Responses $cd $test ksh: cd: bad argument count $cd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

PATH problem

For the sake of not going insane and not buggering a load of needed system stuff, I have created a dir /mybin. (This is a Debian system.) I have then edited the /etc/profile and /etc/login.defs files and added :/mybin to all of the path variables. I have the file /mybin/mtp for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuntyScrunt
2 Replies
cmp(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cmp(1)

NAME
cmp - Compares two files SYNOPSIS
cmp [-l | -s] file1 file2 STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: cmp:XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Prints the byte number (decimal) and the differing bytes (octal) for each difference. Does not print data for differing files; returns only an exit value. OPERANDS
The path name of a file to be compared. The path name of a file to be compared. DESCRIPTION
The cmp command compares two files. If file1 or file2 is - (dash), standard input is used for that file. It is an error to specify - for both files. By default, the cmp command prints no information if the files are the same. If the files differ, cmp prints the byte and line number where the difference occurred. The cmp command also specifies whether one file is an initial subsequence of the other (that is, if the cmp command reads an End-of-File character in one file before finding any differences). Usually, you use the cmp command to compare nontext files and the diff command to compare text files. Note that bytes and lines reported by cmp are numbered from 1. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: The files are identical. The files differ. This includes files of different lengths that are identical in the first part of both files. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To determine whether two files are identical, enter: cmp prog.o.bak prog.o The preceding command compares the files prog.o.bak and prog.o. If the files are identical, a message is not displayed. If the files differ, the location of the first difference is displayed. For instance: prog.o.bak prog.o differ: byte 5, line 1 If the message cmp: EOF on prog.o.bak is displayed, then the first part of prog.o is identical to prog.o.bak, but there is addi- tional data in prog.o. If the message cmp: EOF on prog.o is displayed, it is prog.o.bak that is the same as prog.o but also contains addition data. To display each pair of bytes that differ, enter: cmp -l prog.o.bak prog.o This compares the files and then displays the byte number (in decimal) and the differing bytes (in octal) for each difference. For example, if the fifth byte is octal 101 in prog.o.bak and 141 in prog.o, then the cmp command displays: 5 101 141 . . . ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of cmp: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: comm(1), bdiff(1), diff(1), diff3(1), sdiff(1) Standards: standards(5) cmp(1)