Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with PATH
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with PATH Post 303020792 by wbport on Friday 27th of July 2018 01:14:34 PM
Old 07-27-2018
Right now my script look like:
Code:
if [ $# -eq 1 -a -s $1 ]
  then
  cp -p $1 $1.bak
echo "While using vi, $1.bak has been created."
sleep 1
fi
/usr/bin/vi $*
if [ -f $1.bak ]
  then
  rm $1.bak
fi

I realize vi can edit a number of files, start at a specific position, or after a search, but we seldom use any extra bells or whistles. Near the end of a Y2K conversion script, a vi searched for "-YEAR" in the command line, but that was 19 years ago.

Thanks for looking at it, I might revisit this thread and check for new ideas in the near future.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PATH variable problem

root->echo $PATH /usr/ccs/bin:/opt/sfw/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin root->find / -name gcc /usr/local/bin/gcc /usr/local/doc/gcc root->which gcc no gcc in /usr/sbin /usr/bin Why cant it find gcc - the path looks okay doesnt it? I am running solaris 9 - and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cc path problem - no acceptable path found

Hello everyone, I'm a unix noob. I have a powerbook running mac os x 10.4 and for one of my classes I need to install the latest version of php (5.0.5). I'm following the instructions at http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/php.html to install but I've run into a problem. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kendokendokendo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

path problem

hi , i have written csh script i am unable to set PATH variable in my script. my script is like this ===================================== # ! /bin/csh -f setenv PATH "$PATH:/opt/terascan/bin" ls -l > list lspass > pas peekauto > schedule \ num_days = 1 \ exit 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

path problem

Hi i am writing a script containing processing commands which are reside in /opt/terascan/bin dir. if i run the script from command prompt it is working fine. but in crontab it is not working. if i give env command from command prompt it is showing /opt/terascan/bin dir in PATH variable. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with File path

How to pass a file path to open a file? I am using cygwin. I want to open a file from a particular path, say C:\Test\File1,. This file path is stored in a variable. I am able to cat a file like this : cat "c:\Test\File1" but i want the same thing to happen in my script file through a variable... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Problem Setting $PATH

I am trying to install the pkg-get package to a fresh install of Solaris 10. I am able to download and install correctly using the default directory for both pkg-get and wget as found on blastwave.org. When I issue the command "which wget and which pkg-get" it returns no wget or pkg-get found in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greengrass
1 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

Problem with PATH

On one of the machines at work, we had Net-SNMP 5.2.3 installed, and I wanted to upgrade that to 5.4.2.1. So I downloaded the tar file, extracted it, did the configure, make, make test, make install, and everything worked. All the executable files (like snmpget, snmpset, snmpwalk) got copied to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sllinux
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

if PATH contains a certain string problem!

Hi I am using MKS Toolkit c shell. I want to basically check if my PATH variable already contains a certain path directory so I tried this (it didnt work!): if: Expression Syntax if ( echo $path |grep -c c:/PROGRA~1/blah/blah ) then please help me get this little statement to work. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vas28r13
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with spaces in the path

Hi all, I have a variable test has the following value assigned.. could you please help on doing cd or ls to the value in the varible ... $echo $test /bdm/sdd/compounds/AD4833XT/requests/clin/Watson_20090420/docs/MHRA\ Comments\ \&\ Responses $cd $test ksh: cd: bad argument count $cd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

PATH problem

For the sake of not going insane and not buggering a load of needed system stuff, I have created a dir /mybin. (This is a Debian system.) I have then edited the /etc/profile and /etc/login.defs files and added :/mybin to all of the path variables. I have the file /mybin/mtp for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuntyScrunt
2 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)														 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)