Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with PATH
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with PATH Post 303020759 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 26th of July 2018 09:30:52 PM
Old 07-26-2018
I'm not sure what you think a PATH variable does. If a file has execute permissions (meaning you can run it by just typing the correct name of the file) then it can be run by typing the whole filename from anywhere

Code:
# example:
/path/to/shell.sh parameter1

This is awkward if you have your current directory somewhere else. So. PATH allows you to put directories into the variable. Then when you type the name no matter where your current directory is set, the PATH looks up the file, then lets you run it.

Example after adding the directory where shell.sh lives to PATH:
Code:
shell.sh parameter1

Not delete it
Not write to it.
Just execute it.

The which command helps you figure out what file you will execute before you try to run it. Why? Well, in the example: shell.sh could be in several places. So if you type shell.sh you could be running another script by accident. PATH can be a cause of this.

Code:
export PATH=".:${PATH}"

makes the current directory part of the PATH. Dangerous.

Example: I use t.shl as a throwaway temporary filename. So it could be in any of the my own directories.
Code:
which t.shl

tells me which one will run when I type the command.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 07-26-2018 at 10:37 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PATH variable problem

root->echo $PATH /usr/ccs/bin:/opt/sfw/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin root->find / -name gcc /usr/local/bin/gcc /usr/local/doc/gcc root->which gcc no gcc in /usr/sbin /usr/bin Why cant it find gcc - the path looks okay doesnt it? I am running solaris 9 - and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cc path problem - no acceptable path found

Hello everyone, I'm a unix noob. I have a powerbook running mac os x 10.4 and for one of my classes I need to install the latest version of php (5.0.5). I'm following the instructions at http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/php.html to install but I've run into a problem. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kendokendokendo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

path problem

hi , i have written csh script i am unable to set PATH variable in my script. my script is like this ===================================== # ! /bin/csh -f setenv PATH "$PATH:/opt/terascan/bin" ls -l > list lspass > pas peekauto > schedule \ num_days = 1 \ exit 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

path problem

Hi i am writing a script containing processing commands which are reside in /opt/terascan/bin dir. if i run the script from command prompt it is working fine. but in crontab it is not working. if i give env command from command prompt it is showing /opt/terascan/bin dir in PATH variable. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with File path

How to pass a file path to open a file? I am using cygwin. I want to open a file from a particular path, say C:\Test\File1,. This file path is stored in a variable. I am able to cat a file like this : cat "c:\Test\File1" but i want the same thing to happen in my script file through a variable... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Problem Setting $PATH

I am trying to install the pkg-get package to a fresh install of Solaris 10. I am able to download and install correctly using the default directory for both pkg-get and wget as found on blastwave.org. When I issue the command "which wget and which pkg-get" it returns no wget or pkg-get found in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greengrass
1 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

Problem with PATH

On one of the machines at work, we had Net-SNMP 5.2.3 installed, and I wanted to upgrade that to 5.4.2.1. So I downloaded the tar file, extracted it, did the configure, make, make test, make install, and everything worked. All the executable files (like snmpget, snmpset, snmpwalk) got copied to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sllinux
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

if PATH contains a certain string problem!

Hi I am using MKS Toolkit c shell. I want to basically check if my PATH variable already contains a certain path directory so I tried this (it didnt work!): if: Expression Syntax if ( echo $path |grep -c c:/PROGRA~1/blah/blah ) then please help me get this little statement to work. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vas28r13
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with spaces in the path

Hi all, I have a variable test has the following value assigned.. could you please help on doing cd or ls to the value in the varible ... $echo $test /bdm/sdd/compounds/AD4833XT/requests/clin/Watson_20090420/docs/MHRA\ Comments\ \&\ Responses $cd $test ksh: cd: bad argument count $cd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

PATH problem

For the sake of not going insane and not buggering a load of needed system stuff, I have created a dir /mybin. (This is a Debian system.) I have then edited the /etc/profile and /etc/login.defs files and added :/mybin to all of the path variables. I have the file /mybin/mtp for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuntyScrunt
2 Replies
qmail-queue(8)                                                System Manager's Manual                                               qmail-queue(8)

NAME
qmail-queue - queue a mail message for delivery SYNOPSIS
qmail-queue DESCRIPTION
qmail-queue reads a mail message from descriptor 0. It then reads envelope information from descriptor 1. It places the message into the outgoing queue for future delivery by qmail-send. The envelope information is an envelope sender address followed by a list of envelope recipient addresses. The sender address is preceded by the letter F and terminated by a 0 byte. Each recipient address is preceded by the letter T and terminated by a 0 byte. The list of recipient addresses is terminated by an extra 0 byte. If qmail-queue sees end-of-file before the extra 0 byte, it aborts without placing the message into the queue. Every envelope recipient address should contain a username, an @ sign, and a fully qualified domain name. qmail-queue always adds a Received line to the top of the message. Other than this, qmail-queue does not inspect the message and does not enforce any restrictions on its contents. However, the recipients probably expect to see a proper header, as described in qmail-header(5). Programs included with qmail which invoke qmail-queue will invoke the contents of $QMAILQUEUE instead, if that environment variable is set. FILESYSTEM RESTRICTIONS
qmail-queue imposes two constraints on the queue structure: each mess subdirectory must be in the same filesystem as the pid directory; and each todo subdirectory must be in the same filesystem as the intd directory. EXIT CODES
qmail-queue does not print diagnostics. It exits 0 if it has successfully queued the message. It exits between 1 and 99 if it has failed to queue the message. All qmail-queue error codes between 11 and 40 indicate permanent errors: 11 Address too long. 31 Mail server permanently refuses to send the message to any recipients. (Not used by qmail-queue, but can be used by programs offering the same interface.) All other qmail-queue error codes indicate temporary errors: 51 Out of memory. 52 Timeout. 53 Write error; e.g., disk full. 54 Unable to read the message or envelope. 55 Unable to read a configuration file. (Not used by qmail-queue.) 56 Problem making a network connection from this host. (Not used by qmail-queue.) 61 Problem with the qmail home directory. 62 Problem with the queue directory. 63 Problem with queue/pid. 64 Problem with queue/mess. 65 Problem with queue/intd. 66 Problem with queue/todo. 71 Mail server temporarily refuses to send the message to any recipients. (Not used by qmail-queue.) 72 Connection to mail server timed out. (Not used by qmail-queue.) 73 Connection to mail server rejected. (Not used by qmail-queue.) 74 Connection to mail server succeeded, but communication failed. (Not used by qmail-queue.) 81 Internal bug; e.g., segmentation fault. 91 Envelope format error. SEE ALSO
addresses(5), envelopes(5), qmail-header(5), qmail-inject(8), qmail-qmqpc(8), qmail-send(8), qmail-smtpd(8) qmail-queue(8)