Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Print byte position of extended ascii character Post 303020573 by rosebud123 on Monday 23rd of July 2018 11:47:06 AM
Old 07-23-2018
The input file had control M characters, thats the reason the script did not work properly. After fixing the control M characters it gave me the output.

Issue # 1

I have another peculiar situation, when I use files that are very large in size the script hangs , I am thinking that this could be due to records not having line feeds as record terminator in the file ? how can we account for such variable length files ?

Issue # 2

Additionally is there a way to roll the output so we have only 1 record per position

Example

Code:
7 â 4

As oppose to multiple records

Code:
7 â 1
7 â 2
7 â 3
7 â 4

Issue # 3

Is there a way to print the position of double byte characters

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Extended ascii

Hi all, I would like to change the extended ascii code ( 128 - 255). I tried to change LC_ALL and LANG in current session ( values from locale -a) and for no good. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avis
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extended ascii problem

hi i would like to check text files if they contain extended ascii characters within or not. i really dont have any idea how to start your kind help would be very much appreciated thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smooth
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Processing extended ascii character file names in UNIX (BASH scipts)

Hi, I have a accentuated letter (ö) in a script for an Installer. It's a file name. This is not working and I'm told to try using the octal value for the extended ascii character. Does anyone no how to do this? If I had the word "filförval", can I just put in the value between the letters, like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: peli
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with specific character at nth position in a file

I need to print lines with character S at nth position in a file...can someone pl help me with appropriate awk command for this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manaswinig
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with specific character at nth position in a file

I need to print lines with character S at nth position in a file...can someone pl help me with appropriate awk command for this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manaswinig
1 Replies

6. AIX

Printing extended ASCII

Hi All, I'm trying to send extended ascii characters to my HP2055 as part of PCL printer control codes. What I want to do is select a bar code font, print the bar code and reset the printer to the default font. Selecting the bar code font works good. Printing the bar code goes almost ok too. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the next ASCII character

Hi, In my file, for few field I have to print the next ASCII character for every character. In the below file, I have to do for the 2,3 and 5th fields. Input File ======== 1|abc|def|5|ghi 2|jkl|mno|6|pqr Expected Ouput file ======= 1|bcd|efg|5|hij 2|klm|nop|6|qrs (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace Extended Ascii Characters

We are getting extended Ascii characters in the input file and my requirement is to search and replace them with a space. I am using the following command LANG=C sed -e 's// /g' It is doing a good job, but in some cases it is replacing the extended characters with two spaces. So my input... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
12 Replies

9. Programming

How to read extended ASCII characters from stdin?

Hi, I want to read extended ASCII characters from keyboard using c language on unix/linux. How to read extended characters from keyboard or by copy-paste in terminal irrespective of locale set in the system. I want to read the input characters from keyboard, store it in an array or some local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal Extended ASCII using awk

Hi All, I am trying to remove (SELECTIVE - passed as argument) Extended ASCII using Awk based on adhoc basis. Can you please let me know how to do it. I have to implement this using awk only. Thanks & Regads (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
14 Replies
AGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  AGREP(1)

NAME
agrep -- print lines approximately matching a pattern SYNOPSIS
agrep [options] pattern [files] DESCRIPTION
Searches for approximate matches of pattern in each FILE or standard input. OPTIONS
Regexp selection and interpretation -e pattern, --regexp=pattern Use PATTERN as a regular expression; useful to protect patterns beginning with '-'. -i, --ignore-case Ignore case distinctions (as defined by the current locale) in pattern and input files. -k, --literal Treat pattern as a literal string, that is, a fixed string with no special characters. -w, --word-regexp Force pattern to match only whole words. A ``whole word'' is a substring which either starts at the beginning or the record or is preceded by a non-word constituent character. Similarly, the substring must either end at the end of the record or be fol- lowed by a non-word constituent character. Word-constituent characters are alphanumerics (as defined by the current locale) and the underscore character. Note that the non-word constituent characters must surround the match; they cannot be counted as errors. Approximate matching settings -D num, --delete-cost=num Set cost of missing characters to num. -I num, --insert-cost=num Set cost of extra characters to num. -S num, --substitue-cost=num Set cost of incorrect characters to num. Note that a deletion (a missing character) and an insertion (an extra character) together constitute a substituted character, but the cost will be the that of a deletion and an insertion added together. Thus, if the const of a substitution is set to be larger than the sum of the costs of deletion and insertion, direct substitutions will never be done. -E -num, --max-errors=num Select records that have at most num errors. -# Select records that have at most # errors (# is a digit between 0 and 9). Miscellaneous -d -pattern, --delimiter=pattern Set the record delimiter regular expression to pattern. The text between two delimiters, before the first delimiter, and after the last delimiter is considered to be a record. The default record delimiter is the regexp `` '', so by default a record is a line. pattern can be any regular expression that does not match the empty string. For example, using -d file ... defines mail messages as records in a Mailbox format file. -v, --invert-match Select non-matching records instead of matching records. -V, --version Print version information and exit. -y, --nothing Does nothing. This options exists only for compatibility with the non-free agrep program. --help Display a brief help message and exit. Output control -B, --best-match Only output the best matching records, that is, the records with the lowest cost. This is currently implemented by making two passes over the input files and cannot be used when reading from standard input. --color, --colour Highlight the matching strings in the output with a color marker. The color string is taken from the GREP_COLOR environment variable. The default color is red. -c, --count Only print a count of matching records per each input file, suppressing normal output. -h, --no-filename Suppress the prefixing filename on output when multiple files are searched. -H, --with-filename Prefix each output record with the name of the input file where the record was read from. -l, --files-with-matches Only print the name of each input file which contains at least one match, suppressing normal output. The scanning for each file will stop on the first match. -n, --record-number Prefix each output record with its sequence number in the input file. The number of the first record is 1. -q, --quiet, --silent Do not write anything to standard output. Exit immediately with zero exit status if a match is found. -s, --show-cost Print match cost with output. --show-position Prefix each output record with the start and end offset of the first match within the record. The offset of the first character of the record is 0. The end position is given as the offset of the first character after the match. -M, --delimiter-after By default, the record delimiter is the newline character and is output after the matching record. If -d is used, the record delimiter will be output before the matching record. This option causes the delimiter to be output after the matching record. With no file, or when file is ``-'', agrep reads standard input. If less than two files are given -h is assumed, otherwise -H is the default. EXAMPLES
agrep -2 optimize foo.txt outputs all lines in file foo.txt that match ``optimize'' within two errors. E.g. lines which contain ``optimise'', ``optmise'', and ``opitmize'' all match. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if a match is found, 1 for no match, and 2 if there were errors. If -E or -# is not specified, only exact matches are selected. pattern is a POSIX extended regular expression (ERE) with the TRE extensions. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to the TRE mailing list <tre-general@lists.laurikari.net>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002-2004 Ville Laurikari. This is free software, and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. You are welcome to redistribute this software under certain conditions; see the source for the full license text. BSD
November 21, 2004 BSD