Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Disk corruption? Cant run fsck.... Post 303020027 by hicksd8 on Thursday 12th of July 2018 08:24:42 AM
Old 07-12-2018
Be careful. You can't run fsck on a volume that you are booted from anyway.

It's telling you to run fsck manually so you will need to boot from DVD into single user:

Code:
ok> boot cdrom -s

Then run 'fsck' on your boot device and use the -n switch to ensure it doesn't write anything to the device until you know how extensive the damage is. If you let it auto-repair (-y switch) it might destroy the whole filesystem on the ground faster than you can blink. So use the -n switch and assess the damage first.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

run fsck on swap slice?

Hi.. i am using sun solaris...and this is the filesystem information... you can see th slice(swap) c0t0d0s1 is giving some absord information......and during rebooting it is asking to run fsck mnually..when i run fsck manually it is giving error incorrect starting and end header...smthing like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

FSCK on veritas managed disk

I've had a VXFS filesystem get corrupted and now it won't mount. Can I run a fsck -y on the raw disk device or should something be done within veritas? Veritas does not see the disk at the moment. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzmosiz
2 Replies

3. Solaris

fsck run

Hi, Can anybody tell me that is it the command "fsck" can be run by the root account only? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: efang
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Run fsck from standard login

Hello. I have created a FS /u00/ and created a non-root login under this FS. Also, disabled direct root login. Now is it possible or worth moving this login over to the root partition or allowing mount/umount + fsck from a standard account. As I am not able to run fsck for this FS. How to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having a run fsck manually problem...

so i am pretty dumb when it comes to unix. but i am in the navy and the system i work on is unix based. and we have come across this problem. COULD NOT FIX FILE SYSTEM WITH fsck -P, RUN fsck INTERACTIVELY! LOGGING IN AS root FOR MANUAL fsk, ENTER ^D WHEN FILE SYSTEM FIXED (in bcheckrc)# ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: afouts
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

fsck doesn't work - not even run?

Hi, please consider, I'm pretty new to HP-UX, thanks. Our server (rp7420 with HP-UX 11.31) has crashed due to disk write error (not boot partition). So I replaced damaged device with the new one of the same size and performed dd copy 1:1 to restore data - vxfs partition "/dev/vg01/lvol1"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Morhoo
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run fsck on root file system

If i run fsck on one filesystem and fsck need to repair some things then this partition must be unmounted correct ? So running fsck on root file system isn't possible within same OS ? correct ? What is the best way to do that, live cd ? BR, Jurif (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jurif
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Not able to run fsck on root file system

I am trying to root disk mirroring on SunFire V210 Server. There are two disks on this server c1t0d0 and c1t1d0 . I completed all the steps and I updated the vfstab file too. After I have updated the vfstab file I run df -h command but could not see the changes i made in vfstab. Suddenly the server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbi8321
1 Replies

9. Solaris

unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0)

What can I fix this issue? I have ran below commands but everything is same.:confused: WARNING: Last shutdown is later than time on time-of-day chip: check date. The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0) is being checked WARNING - unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
4 Replies
fsck_cachefs(1M)					  System Administration Commands					  fsck_cachefs(1M)

NAME
fsck_cachefs - check integrity of data cached with CacheFS SYNOPSIS
fsck -F cachefs [-m] [-o noclean] cache_directory DESCRIPTION
The CacheFS version of the fsck command checks the integrity of a cache directory.This utility corrects any CacheFS problems it finds by default. There is no interactive mode. The most likely invocation of fsck for CacheFS file systems is at boot time from an entry in the /etc/vfstab file. See vfstab(4). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -m Check, but do not repair. -o noclean Force a check on the cache even if there is no reason to suspect there is a problem. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using fsck_cachefs to Force a Check on the Cache Directory The following example forces a check on the cache directory /cache3: example% fsck -F cachefs -o noclean /cache3 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cfsadmin(1M), fsck(1M), mount_cachefs(1M), vfstab(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2002 fsck_cachefs(1M)