Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Why does a fakechroot exist?
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Why does a fakechroot exist? Post 303019985 by hicksd8 on Wednesday 11th of July 2018 12:32:35 PM
Old 07-11-2018
To put it plainly, chroot is a real change root and not a fake change root and so it affects the whole system, i.e. all users. Therefore, it takes root privilege to action. The whole system is switched to running on a different root directory. Therefore, a standard user cannot be allowed to do this.

A fake chroot is playing around within a users own environment and nobody else sees any change.

An example of a real chroot can be when a system doesn't boot properly so the sysadmin boots the system from DVD into single user mode. Having booted that way, the system root is the root of the DVD. Now the sysadmin can use chroot to switch to the normal hard disk root to see how the system behaves; stable or wobbly?

Fake change root is exactly what is says; fake!

Last edited by hicksd8; 07-12-2018 at 04:53 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

does it exist in linux?

Is there a jumpstart equivalent tool in the linux environment? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

su: user x does not exist

somehow my user names and groups on one of our machines are changed to numbers 700, 701, etc. thus, i can only ssh into this machine as root. is there a way to migrate the user names and groups to this machine? thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user23
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

testing if files exist

I am trying to test arguments to see if they are files in any directory. I have : but it's not working (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Group Exist Scripting

Hey People, I've got a question! How can i write a function in a script which is looking for if a group exist and if not, that the group "users" is the standard group..I know that i have to use "grep" und "if-else"..I will be very happy for answers ;) Greetz Ali (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AliC
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find out whether files exist.

I have the following data stored in a file. 1 /home/file13 /home/file2 2 /home/file41 /home/file654 3 /home/file61 /home/file45 4 /home/file81 /home/file43 ... I want to print the first column provided the files represented by the second and third column exist. How to do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

if pid exist ?

Hi I need help to whit a script that start a program if a nother program is started first . I thought something like this . if then start program 2 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pelle
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does ${%name} exist in csh?

I have this code in tcsh and would like to know whether the syntax below will work in csh. if( "${%rsl}" == 0 ) then echo "rsl is empty" endif ---------- Post updated at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:53 AM ---------- It does not seem so. Perhaps the best thing is to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: Backfile if backup does not exist

I am trying to work on a script that will first check to see if a backup of a file exists, and if it does it will prompt the user to ask if he/she wants it replace. Of course, if the user says no then the file should be skipped. Here is the code I have written. Does it look as if it is working... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xshellscriptx
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Group Doesn't Exist

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I'm able to create a group but when I'm trying to delete the group it keeps stating Group Doesn't Exist. I know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
2 Replies
chroot(2)							   System Calls 							 chroot(2)

NAME
chroot, fchroot - change root directory SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int chroot(const char *path); int fchroot(int fildes); DESCRIPTION
The chroot() and fchroot() functions cause a directory to become the root directory, the starting point for path searches for path names beginning with / (slash). The user's working directory is unaffected by the chroot() and fchroot() functions. The path argument points to a path name naming a directory. The fildes argument to fchroot() is the open file descriptor of the directory which is to become the root. The privilege {PRIV_PROC_CHROOT} must be asserted in the effective set of the process to change the root directory. While it is always pos- sible to change to the system root using the fchroot() function, it is not guaranteed to succeed in any other case, even if fildes is valid in all respects. The ".." entry in the root directory is interpreted to mean the root directory itself. Therefore, ".." cannot be used to access files out- side the subtree rooted at the root directory. Instead, fchroot() can be used to reset the root to a directory that was opened before the root directory was changed. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, 0 is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned, the root directory remains unchanged, and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The chroot() function will fail if: EACCES Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix of dirname, or search permission is denied for the directory referred to by dirname. EBADF The descriptor is not valid. EFAULT The path argument points to an illegal address. EINVAL The fchroot() function attempted to change to a directory the is not the system root and external circumstances do not allow this. EINTR A signal was caught during the execution of the chroot() function. EIO An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating path. ENAMETOOLONG The length of the path argument exceeds PATH_MAX, or the length of a path component exceeds NAME_MAX while _POSIX_NO_TRUNC is in effect. ENOENT The named directory does not exist or is a null pathname. ENOLINK The path argument points to a remote machine and the link to that machine is no longer active. ENOTDIR Any component of the path name is not a directory. EPERM The {PRIV_PROC_CHROOT} privilege is not asserted in the effective set of the calling process. SEE ALSO
chroot(1M), chdir(2), privileges(5) WARNINGS
The only use of fchroot() that is appropriate is to change back to the system root. SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2003 chroot(2)