Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Uncompress several tar.gz files inside several folders Post 303019930 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 10th of July 2018 10:07:47 AM
Old 07-10-2018
Wold you be better with the find command? You can ask it to locate files of the name format you need and call a command for each one found.

Perhaps this will get you started:-
Code:
find /base/path/to/files -name "*.tar.gz" -print -exec tar -tzvf {} \;

Beware that if the files found contain full path archives, you might overwrite any file on your server. Additionally, if you are extracting, you might find that your current directory gets all the extracted files into it if they use relative paths. I have set the command to just list the contents for now so you can check what it will try to do.

I hope that this helps,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uncompress files

I get a compressed file for linux and I want to uncompress it in Unix. Is that possible? I try with te command uncompress but it didnīt work. T.hanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: diegoe
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh and uncompress and tar

Hello, how can I send a compressed file (file.tar.Z) on another server ans uncompresse and extract it there ? My code which is like this uncompress *tar.Z | rsh serveurB -l user1 "cd /d15/store/; tar xf -" does not function. Many thanks before. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

file zip,rar,tar,compress,uncompress,unzip,unrar

i want know how to compress and uncompress file using unix, compress uncompress,zip,unzip,rar,unrar,how its work and more about this.:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ismael xavier
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Cannot uncompress the tar.gz

I've downloaded the tomcat from http://archive.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-5/v5.0.30/bin/ at window 2000 and then ftp to Solaris 5.9 in binary mode. gunzip -c jakarta-tomcat-5.0.30.tar.gz | tar -xvf - tar: directory checksum error if try this one, gzip -d jakarta-tomcat-5.0.30.tar.gz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbox
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

uncompress tar.gz files

i Have 150 tar.gz files and i need to uncompress and extract all the files from those 150 tar.gz and i will have 150 files on daily basis. could any one help me out with the script to uncompress tar.gz files. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaddamshashank
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tar files inside a script?

Hi , I have a file which contains few file names. I need to tar those files but am unable to do inside the script. Any help will be useful. cat /tmp/test aa.txt bb.txt cc.txt I have tried the below code but its not working. for i in `cat /tmp/test';do tar -cvf TEST.tar $i;done (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing folders that have a file inside them

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and putting my foot in the door with SED and AWK. I was wondering if someone could help me as I think I'm making this harder than it needs to be... I have a list of folders named as urls, inside these are log files and possibly a 'status' file. I'm trying to get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KakersUK
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing all files inside folders and updating pos 88-94 with continuous numbering.

Here is expected output:- For each file with following file name pattern we need to look at position 1 inside first file matching our search criteria if first letter of the line is 5 then position 88-94 will be 0000001 then look for line immediately after 5 which starts with i.e. position 1 = 8... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete all the files and folders inside all the directories except some specific directory?

hi, i have a requirement to delete all the files from all the directories except some specific directories like archive and log. for example: there are following directories such as A B C D Archive E Log F which contains some sub directories and files. The requirement is to delete all the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
7 Replies
PTARGREP(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       PTARGREP(1)

NAME
ptargrep - Apply pattern matching to the contents of files in a tar archive SYNOPSIS
ptargrep [options] <pattern> <tar file> ... Options: --basename|-b ignore directory paths from archive --ignore-case|-i do case-insensitive pattern matching --list-only|-l list matching filenames rather than extracting matches --verbose|-v write debugging message to STDERR --help|-? detailed help message DESCRIPTION
This utility allows you to apply pattern matching to the contents of files contained in a tar archive. You might use this to identify all files in an archive which contain lines matching the specified pattern and either print out the pathnames or extract the files. The pattern will be used as a Perl regular expression (as opposed to a simple grep regex). Multiple tar archive filenames can be specified - they will each be processed in turn. OPTIONS
--basename (alias -b) When matching files are extracted, ignore the directory path from the archive and write to the current directory using the basename of the file from the archive. Beware: if two matching files in the archive have the same basename, the second file extracted will overwrite the first. --ignore-case (alias -i) Make pattern matching case-insensitive. --list-only (alias -l) Print the pathname of each matching file from the archive to STDOUT. Without this option, the default behaviour is to extract each matching file. --verbose (alias -v) Log debugging info to STDERR. --help (alias -?) Display this documentation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2010 Grant McLean <grantm@cpan.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2018-08-17 PTARGREP(1)