Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Uncompress several tar.gz files inside several folders Post 303019925 by shellX on Tuesday 10th of July 2018 09:31:56 AM
Old 07-10-2018
Uncompress several tar.gz files inside several folders

Hi,

I need to uncompress sevral tar.gz files that are located insides sevral folders using a shell script.

Folder tree looks like this :
Code:
/folder/001
/folder/002
/folder/003

Inside each folder dossier (001,002,003) we can find 1 or several tar.gz files.

I've scripted something like this :
Code:
!/bin/bash
liste_fichier="/folder/*"
for fichier in $liste_fichier do
tar -xzvf $fichier/*.tar.gz --directory $fichier/
done
exit

Issue:
This scripts only works with one tar.gz file inside the folder.
When it finds more then one tar.gz file it crashes the message tar : <path/file.tar.gz> : not found in archive

Some other tests:
-I've tested the code below inside one folder(001) containing several tar.gz.file :
Code:
for i in *.tar.gz 
do 
tar -xzvf $i 
done

It works.

I try to run it inside my script without success. To many loops I guess

Any "good" ideas are welcome.
Thank you

Last edited by shellX; 07-10-2018 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Added CODE & ICODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uncompress files

I get a compressed file for linux and I want to uncompress it in Unix. Is that possible? I try with te command uncompress but it didnīt work. T.hanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: diegoe
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh and uncompress and tar

Hello, how can I send a compressed file (file.tar.Z) on another server ans uncompresse and extract it there ? My code which is like this uncompress *tar.Z | rsh serveurB -l user1 "cd /d15/store/; tar xf -" does not function. Many thanks before. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

file zip,rar,tar,compress,uncompress,unzip,unrar

i want know how to compress and uncompress file using unix, compress uncompress,zip,unzip,rar,unrar,how its work and more about this.:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ismael xavier
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Cannot uncompress the tar.gz

I've downloaded the tomcat from http://archive.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-5/v5.0.30/bin/ at window 2000 and then ftp to Solaris 5.9 in binary mode. gunzip -c jakarta-tomcat-5.0.30.tar.gz | tar -xvf - tar: directory checksum error if try this one, gzip -d jakarta-tomcat-5.0.30.tar.gz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbox
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

uncompress tar.gz files

i Have 150 tar.gz files and i need to uncompress and extract all the files from those 150 tar.gz and i will have 150 files on daily basis. could any one help me out with the script to uncompress tar.gz files. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaddamshashank
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tar files inside a script?

Hi , I have a file which contains few file names. I need to tar those files but am unable to do inside the script. Any help will be useful. cat /tmp/test aa.txt bb.txt cc.txt I have tried the below code but its not working. for i in `cat /tmp/test';do tar -cvf TEST.tar $i;done (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing folders that have a file inside them

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and putting my foot in the door with SED and AWK. I was wondering if someone could help me as I think I'm making this harder than it needs to be... I have a list of folders named as urls, inside these are log files and possibly a 'status' file. I'm trying to get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KakersUK
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing all files inside folders and updating pos 88-94 with continuous numbering.

Here is expected output:- For each file with following file name pattern we need to look at position 1 inside first file matching our search criteria if first letter of the line is 5 then position 88-94 will be 0000001 then look for line immediately after 5 which starts with i.e. position 1 = 8... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete all the files and folders inside all the directories except some specific directory?

hi, i have a requirement to delete all the files from all the directories except some specific directories like archive and log. for example: there are following directories such as A B C D Archive E Log F which contains some sub directories and files. The requirement is to delete all the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
7 Replies
SENDFILES(1)							     [nmh-1.5]							      SENDFILES(1)

NAME
sendfiles - send multiple files via a MIME message SYNOPSIS
sendfiles [delay] mailpath subject file1 [file2 ...] DESCRIPTION
The shell script sendfiles, is used to send a collection of files and directories via electronic mail. sendfiles mailpath "subject" files ... sendfiles will archive the files and directories you name with the tar command, and then mail the compressed archive to the "mailpath" with the given "subject". The archive will be automatically split up into as many messages as necessary in order to get past most mailers. Sometimes you want sendfiles to pause after posting a partial message. This is usually the case when you are running sendmail and expect to generate a lot of partial messages. If the first argument given to sendfiles starts with a dash, then it is interpreted as the number of seconds to pause in between postings, e.g., sendfiles -30 mailpath "subject" files ... will pause 30 seconds in between each posting. Extracting the Received Files When these messages are received, invoke mhstore once for the list of messages. The default is for mhstore to store the combined parts as a new message in the current folder, although this can be changed using storage formatting strings. You can then use mhlist to find out what's inside; possibly followed by mhstore again to write the archive to a file where you can subsequently uncompress and untar it. For instance: % mhlist 5-8 msg part type/subtype size description 5 message/partial 47K part 1 of 4 6 message/partial 47K part 2 of 4 7 message/partial 47K part 3 of 4 8 message/partial 18K part 4 of 4 % mhstore 5-8 reassembling partials 5,6,7,8 to folder inbox as message 9 % mhlist -verbose 9 msg part type/subtype size description 9 application/octet-stream 118K (extract with uncompress | tar xvpf -) type=tar conversions=compress % mhstore 9 % uncompress < 9.tar.Z | tar xvpf - Alternately, by using the -auto switch, mhstore will automatically do the extraction for you: % mhlist 5-8 msg part type/subtype size description 5 message/partial 47K part 1 of 4 6 message/partial 47K part 2 of 4 7 message/partial 47K part 3 of 4 8 message/partial 18K part 4 of 4 % mhstore 5-8 reassembling partials 5,6,7,8 to folder inbox as message 9 % mhlist -verbose 9 msg part type/subtype size description 9 application/octet-stream 118K (extract with uncompress | tar xvpf -) type=tar conversions=compress % mhstore -auto 9 -- tar listing appears here as files are extracted As the second tar listing is generated, the files are extracted. A prudent user will never put -auto in the .mh_profile file. The correct procedure is to first use mhlist to find out what will be extracted. Then mhstore can be invoked with -auto to perform the extraction. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder SEE ALSO
mhbuild(1), mhlist(1), mhshow(1), mhstore(1). Proposed Standard for Message Encapsulation (RFC-934) DEFAULTS
`-noverbose' CONTEXT
None MH.6.8 11 June 2012 SENDFILES(1)