Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Dev/urandom and dev/random missing in HP-UX Post 303019768 by rashi on Friday 6th of July 2018 12:59:49 AM
Old 07-06-2018
Dev/urandom and dev/random missing in HP-UX

Hi,

In our HP-UX B.11.11. I could not find dev/urandom and dev/random

Are all pseudo-devices implemented as device drivers, or in need to run /configure some package to install the package to have dev/urandom.

Please help

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/fb* missing

I am trying to run openwin on Solaris 5.8, but get an error: /dev/fb: No such file or directory Graphics Adapter device /dev/fb is of unknown type Fatal server error: InitOutput: Error loading module for /dev/fb giving up. /usr/openwin/bin/xinit: Connection refused (errno 146): ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: heinb
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/urandom

Hi, how do I use /dev/urandom to generate a single number between 1-100? I can od /dev/urandom but it gives me an endless list of random numbers, I just want 1 between 1-100. How can I get that? Thanks. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Takumi
12 Replies

3. AIX

missing /dev/ipldevice

Hello I was doing a mksysb and was given an error message that my /dev/ipldevice was missing. when i do an lslv -m hd5 i get the following output: LP PP1 PV1 PP2 PV2 PP3 PV3 0001 0001 hdisk0 0002 0002 hdisk0 I check other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhenryj
3 Replies

4. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

5. SuSE

/dev/sg7 missing

Hello all. I have a device thats suposed to be /dev/sg7 but when I do "ls -laF /dev/sg*" all sgXX are there from 0 to 15 except 7. what is going wrong:mad:. Please its urgent:wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eXadra
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Lun remove, stuck in /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk

So, we removed a LUN from the SAN and the system is refusing to remove the references to it in the /dev folder. I've done the following: devfsadm -Cv powermt -q luxadm -e offline <drive path> luxadm probe All those commands failed to remove the path. The drive stills shows up as <drive... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc

Objective: To recreate the partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc How would I parse the below information and initialize variables (an array?) that can be used to build sgdisk commands in a script, regardless of the number of partitions? Something along the lines of: sgdisk -n... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: RogerBaran
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cmd 'cat /dev/urandom' not closing cleanly

Hi I'm running the following command to generate a random password in a KSH script on a RHEL Linux VM but for some reason the cmd is not being closed and it's causing problems on the host. PASSWORD="$(cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc "a-zA-Z0-9" | fold -w 16 | head -1)Aa0!" The code worked as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
2 Replies
random(7D)							      Devices								random(7D)

NAME
random, urandom - Strong random number generator device SYNOPSIS
/dev/random /dev/urandom DESCRIPTION
The /dev/random and /dev/urandom files are special files that are a source for random bytes generated by the kernel random number generator device. The /dev/random and /dev/urandom files are suitable for applications requiring high quality random numbers for cryptographic pur- poses. The generator device produces random numbers from data and devices available to the kernel and estimates the amount of randomness (or "entropy") collected from these sources. The entropy level determines the amount of high quality random numbers that are produced at a given time. Applications retrieve random bytes by reading /dev/random or /dev/urandom. The /dev/random interface returns random bytes only when suffi- cient amount of entropy has been collected. If there is no entropy to produce the requested number of bytes, /dev/random blocks until more entropy can be obtained. Non-blocking I/O mode can be used to disable the blocking behavior. The /dev/random interface also supports poll(2). Note that using poll(2) will not increase the speed at which random numbers can be read. Bytes retrieved from /dev/random provide the highest quality random numbers produced by the generator, and can be used to generate long term keys and other high value keying material. The /dev/urandom interface returns bytes regardless of the amount of entropy available. It does not block on a read request due to lack of entropy. While bytes produced by the /dev/urandom interface are of lower quality than bytes produced by /dev/random, they are nonetheless suitable for less demanding and shorter term cryptographic uses such as short term session keys, paddings, and challenge strings. Data can be written to /dev/random and /dev/urandom. Data written to either special file is added to the generator's internal state. Data that is difficult to predict by other users may contribute randomness to the generator state and help improve the quality of future gener- ated random numbers. /dev/random collects entropy from providers that are registered with the kernel-level cryptographic framework and implement random number generation routines. The cryptoadm(1M) utility allows an administrator to configure which providers will be used with /dev/random. ERRORS
EAGAIN O_NDELAY or O_NONBLOCK was set and no random bytes are available for reading from /dev/random. EINTR A signal was caught while reading and no data was transferred. ENOXIO open(2) request failed on /dev/random because no entropy provider is available. FILES
/dev/random /dev/urandom ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWcsr | |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cryptoadm(1M), open(2), poll(2), attributes(5) NOTES
/dev/random can be configured to use only the hardware-based providers registered with the kernel-level cryptographic framework by dis- abling the software-based provider using cryptoadm(1M). You can also use cryptoadm(1M) to obtain the name of the software-based provider. Because no entropy is available, disabling all randomness providers causes read(2) and poll(2) on /dev/random to block indefinitely and results in a warning message being logged and displayed on the system console. However, read(2) and poll(2) on /dev/urandom continue to work in this case. An implementation of the /dev/random and /dev/urandom kernel-based random number generator first appeared in Linux 1.3.30. A /dev/random interface for Solaris first appeared as part of the CryptoRand implementation. SunOS 5.11 1 Sep 2008 random(7D)