Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Samba Help
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Samba Help Post 303019672 by TBotNik on Tuesday 3rd of July 2018 04:38:25 PM
Old 07-03-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Samba is no longer needed for as many things as it used to be. It's still the go-to to serve shares, but native client support has popped up in many operating systems. In Linux you can do

Code:
mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWD //192.168.1.88/shares /mnt/share

...and bam, you're a CIFS client, no Samba required.

What specific application were you using to browse shares and in what way did it not work? Knowing that would help me figure out what it's trying to do and why it's not working.

We need more details on what your shares are.
Corona688,

I need the SAMBA as i explained it must come up on bootup, and therefore has to be in the fstab to auto load with all required passwords. Additionally this process has to be repeated on other machines to have fully functional network, sharing with the Linux and Windows servers.

Cheers!

OMR/TBNK

PS

If it's not SAMBA, then the Windows computers on the network will not see any of the shares.

OMR/TBNK

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Samba 2.2.4

Has any setup samba 2.2.4 inside of unix ver 11.0, i am trying to mount a nfs mount on a w2k, and wxp box, and i was told that i had to upgrade to sambe 2.2.4, but the c compiler on ver 11.0 isnt ansii compatable, I could please use any help or directions on this matter... thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marvin51796
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Samba Help

Hi, I am very new to Unix, do know some RedHat linux. I am wanting to install samba on my unix machine. Not sure where to start, any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Chris Lewis (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewy33
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why use Samba?

Hi, I am sorry I am total dummy in Unix. I am starting to explore a thing call "Samba". From my initial and rough finding, I think Samba is only useful in providing Print services to PC platform users. That is to say, The Unix machine which has Samba installed, is able to provide print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
3 Replies

4. Solaris

SAMBA - where?

Greetings.. I need SAMBA to implement a backup strategy , the problem is that i cant find it anywhere... can u guys gimme a link to a sun compatilble version of samba ? thanx thanx htanx..... :rolleyes: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nEuRoMaNcEr
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba help

Hey. I have a question about adding users and maping theirs dirictorys. Main Folder | -User1 Folder -User2 Folder -User3 Folder ...... How can I add this users to have folders in the Main Folder ? any simple script? And I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: net555
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba

after creating username/passwd, vi /usr/lib/smb.conf file comment = dropoff location path = /tmp/droloc browsable = No available = yes public = no writable = yes printable = no create mode = 777 valid users = tjmann,palexander,bmartin,.... instead of using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SAMBA

currently, we are using SAMBA for our ftp way. can SAMBA be encrypted aka sftp ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawsongeek
2 Replies

8. Solaris

samba issue: one samba share without password prompting and the others with.

Hi All, I've been trying to configure samba on Solaris 10 to allow me to have one share that is open and writable to all users and have the rest of my shares password protected by a generic account. If I set my security to user, my secured shares work just fine and prompt accordingly, but when... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ideal2545
0 Replies
FUSEDAV(1)						      General Commands Manual							FUSEDAV(1)

NAME
fusedav - mount WebDAV shares SYNOPSIS
fusedav [-hDL] [-t secs] [-u username] [-p password] [-o options] URL mountpoint DESCRIPTION
fusedav is a userspace filesystem driver that allows you to mount WebDAV shares. This way you can transparently edit and manage files on a remote server. As long as the fusedav process is running, the WebDAV share located at URL is accessible under mountpoint. If username and password are required and you did not specify them on the command line you will be prompted as soon as you are trying to access the mounted share. OPTIONS
-h Show summary of options. -D Enable debug mode. -L Lock the repository during mount. (Not properly supported on all servers, hence not enabled by default.) -t secs Set lock timeout to secs seconds. -u username Use username for authentication if required. -p password Use password for authentication if required. -o options Pass options as additional mount options to FUSE. URL Location of the WebDAV share. mountpoint Local mountpoint of the WebDAV share. AUTHOR
fusedav was written by Lennart Poettering <mzshfrqni (at) 0pointer (dot) de>. This manual page was written by Sebastian Harl <tokkee@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). August 24, 2006 FUSEDAV(1)