Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Replace string2 with string3 on all lines starting with string1 Post 303019120 by supernono06 on Saturday 23rd of June 2018 01:26:10 PM
Old 06-23-2018
Replace string2 with string3 on all lines starting with string1

My OS is Windows 10 and I am using Cygwin.

The file 1 content is:

USE solution 2; -4.000
USE solution 3; -4.000

USE solution 29; -4.000
USE solution 30; -4.000
USE solution 31; -4.000
….
USE solution 89; -4.000
USE solution 202; -4.000
etc...

I need to replace string2(-4.000) with string3(-2.000) on all lines starting with string1(USE solution 2, USE solution 3, …USE solution 29) but the other lines don't have to be changed.

I wrote the following script which does it, but only for the first line:

Code:
sed '/^USE solution 2/ { s,-4.000,-2.000, }' file1.txt > file2.txt

I am looking for a way to use this sed function in a loop where I could say:

If USE solution i (i=2 to 29), then do the replacement.

Being a newbie, I don't have experience at all with loops, sorry for that.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by supernono06; 06-23-2018 at 03:59 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing string1 with string2 in many files

I have 70 files and want to replace string1 with string2. How can i do that?. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashikandi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ps -ef | grep "string1" "string2" " "string3"

Hi all, can any one suggest me the script to grep multiple strings from ps -ef pls correct the below script . its not working/ i want to print OK if all the below process are running in my solaris system. else i want to print NOT OK. bash-3.00$ ps -ef | grep blu lscpusr 48 42 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2216
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate lines between lines starting with a specific pattern

Hi, I have a file such as: --- >contig00001 length=35524 numreads=2944 gACGCCGCGCGCCGCGGCCAGGGCTGGCCCA CAGGCCGCGCGGCGTCGGCTGGCTGAG >contig00002 length=4242 numreads=43423 ATGCCGAAGGTCCGCCTGGGGCTGG CGCCGGGAGCATGTAGCG --- I would like to concatenate the lines not starting with ">"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines before string1 and after string2

Hello All... I have a text file (.ics) which I need to read into a variable but ONLY the part including and after 'BEGIN:VEVENT' and ending with END:VEVENT Anything before BEGIN:VEVENT or after END:VEVENT should be ignored. Thanks for input Jeff BEGIN:VCALENDAR VERSION:2.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uptimejeff
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all lines except lines starting with [

Hello, I am trying to remove all the lines in file except lines starting with [ How can i accomplish this? Thank you very much in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - print record with both string1 and string2

How do I use awk to find the records in a file that contains two specific strings? I have tried piping and using awk two times, but I don't know how to do it in one action. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string2 by string3 where string1 is found in line

Hello, My aim is to search string1 in all lines. When found, find and replace string2 by string3 if possible. TextFile: Here is my first line Second line with string1 & string2 Not last line but it contains string1 Expected output: Here is my first line The second line with string1 &... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string1, when true find string2 in reverse direction

Hello, This is a bit complicated for me. My scenario in MyFile: Search string1, When string1 is found, grep the line containing string1, go back over that line in upward direction and grep the first line containing string2. Here is an example: MyFile His email address... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace string2 by string3 where string1 is found in line

I found this in the forum that searches a file for string1, substitute all occurrences of string2 with string3. (Title: Replace string2 by string3 where string1 is found in line) >> sed -i '/string1/s/string2/string3/g' TextFile How will I perform the same sed command and only substitute... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
3 Replies
CFDISK(8)							 GNU cfdisk Manual							 CFDISK(8)

NAME
GNU cfdisk - a curses-based partition table manipulation program SYNOPSIS
cfdisk [options] [device] DESCRIPTION
cfdisk is a disk partition manipulation program, which allows you to create, destroy, resize, move and copy partitions on a hard drive using a simple menu-driven interface. It is useful for organising the disk space on a new drive, reorganising an old drive, creating space for new operating systems, and copying data to new hard disks. For a list of the supported partition types, see the --list-partition-types option below. OPTIONS
-h, --help displays a help message. -v, --version displays the program's version. -a, --arrow-cursor use an arrow cursor, instead of reverse video highlighting, in case your terminal doesn't support it. -z, --new-table create a new partition table on the disk. This is useful if you want to change the partition table type or want to repartition you entire drive. Note that this does not delete the old table on the disk until you commit the changes. -u, --units=UNIT sets the default display units to UNIT. A list of possible units is given below. -t, --list-partition-types displays a list of supported partition types and features. UNITS
You can choose in what unit cfdisk should display quantities like partition sizes. You can choose from sectors, percents, bytes, kilobytes, etc. Note that one kilobyte is equal to 1,000 bytes, as this is consistent with the SI prefixes and is used by hard disk manufacturers. If you prefer to see the sizes in units with binary prefixes, you should instead select one kilo binary byte (kibibyte), which is equal to 1,024 bytes. Whatever display unit you have chosen, you can always enter the quantities in the unit of your choice, for example 1000000B or 1000kB. compact display each size in the most suitable unit from B, kB, MB, GB and TB. B one byte kB one kilobyte (1,000 bytes) MB one megabyte (1,000,000 bytes) GB one gigabyte (1,000,000,000 bytes) TB one terabyte (1,000,000,000,000 bytes) KiB one kilo binary byte (1,024 bytes) MiB one mega binary byte (1,048,576 bytes) GiB one giga binary byte (1,073,741,824 bytes) TiB one tera binary byte (1,099,511,627,776 bytes) s one sector. It depends on the sector size of the disk. You can use it if you want to see or choose the exact size in sectors. % one percent from the size of the disk cyl one cylinder. It depends on the cylinder size. chs use CHS display units. BUGS
There are no known bugs. We are in early stages for development, so be careful. SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), mkfs(8), parted(8) The cfdisk program is fully documented in the info(1) format GNU cfdisk User Manual manual. fdisk 16 June, 2006 CFDISK(8)