Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Explanation of Inodes / path
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Explanation of Inodes / path Post 303019098 by murugesandins on Friday 22nd of June 2018 10:13:04 PM
Old 06-22-2018
Code:
// Written comment for new employees/joinees  and for me too :) => Better initialize
#include <string.h>    // strerror
#include <sys/errno.h> // errno
#include <unistd.h>    // getcwd
#include <stdio.h>     // printf
// PATH_LENGTH variaes on OS
// Change PATH_LENGTH based on macro, OS and requirement
// Example: What is the longest file path that Windows can handle? - Super User
// Written CYGWIN_NT since .exe can run outside bash.exe or sh.exe or mksh.exe or ...
// => gecwd error => Numerical result out of range
// getcwd will fail when length varies above expected lenth at windows
#ifdef CYGWIN_NT
        #define PATH_LENGTH 195
#else
        #define PATH_LENGTH 256
#endif
char cwd[PATH_LENGTH] = {};
char *PWD = NULL;
int main()
{
        PWD = getcwd(cwd, PATH_LENGTH);
        // value != variable to remove initialization by typewriting mistakes
        // Example: if( p = NULL )
        if( NULL != PWD )
        {
                printf("The current working directory is \"%s\"\n", cwd);
        }
        else
        {
                printf( "getcwd() failed.\n%s\n", strerror(errno));
                return 1;
        }
        return 0;
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

INodes...

Could someone please explain to me the concept of INodes? Colour me a DOS/MacOS junkie, but I don't quite understand. Is there any relation to clusters, or physical distro.? ty. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: boris888
3 Replies

2. Solaris

inodes???

Does anyone know what command I can run to check how many inodes are in use on a specific filesystem. On Data General servers I used to run the df -k command to check the status of the inodes for all file system.s (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soliberus
1 Replies

3. Solaris

inodes

hi i need to find all the files that r linked to the current file as i need to delete the file as well as few of its links :confused: thnx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: livemyway
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inodes

how is the location of inodes in the physical disk. are they sequential like: bootblock|superblock|inode1|inode2| ....| datablock1|datablock2|datablock3 or are they distributed among data blocks like: bootblock|superblock|inode1|datablock1|inode2|datablock2|datablock3|inode3 |datablock4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
3 Replies

5. Linux

Inodes

Any good sites, tutorials that explain Inodes clearly and completely ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin09
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Number of used inodes..?

Hello Experts How can i know Number of used and free inodes in a file system? thanx in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: younus_syed
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Increasing inodes

Hi , Can someone help me to increase "inode" in solaris 9? Thanks in advance, Gowtham (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
8 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

inodes

Hi, sorry to have written in other language i think i could do that. I would to know A file system use inodes indexed allocation as a method of allocating space. In the inode blocks are 10 references to direct, 1 indirect reference to a single block, 1 block indirect reference to a reference to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maryprin
1 Replies

9. Solaris

/var: out of inodes

Dear Forum, Please help me i have SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 with sun solaris 8,if i check inode in /var like below: # df -F ufs -o i Filesystem iused ifree %iused Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 62354 310638 17% / /dev/md/dsk/d3 372992 0 100% /var... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredginting
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Inodes please

How can i trace Inode structure and modify it in UNIX kernel? We want to change the inode structure in the sense that we want to add a new field to the inode data structure. So we want to know how and where to trace inode (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Group_Inode
7 Replies
Cwd(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						  Cwd(3pm)

NAME
Cwd - get pathname of current working directory SYNOPSIS
use Cwd; my $dir = getcwd; use Cwd 'abs_path'; my $abs_path = abs_path($file); DESCRIPTION
This module provides functions for determining the pathname of the current working directory. It is recommended that getcwd (or another *cwd() function) be used in all code to ensure portability. By default, it exports the functions cwd(), getcwd(), fastcwd(), and fastgetcwd() into the caller's namespace. getcwd and friends Each of these functions are called without arguments and return the absolute path of the current working directory. getcwd my $cwd = getcwd(); Returns the current working directory. Re-implements the getcwd(3) (or getwd(3)) functions in Perl. Taint-safe. cwd my $cwd = cwd(); The cwd() is the most natural form for the current architecture. For most systems it is identical to `pwd` (but without the trailing line terminator). Taint-safe. fastcwd my $cwd = fastcwd(); A more dangerous version of getcwd(), but potentially faster. It might conceivably chdir() you out of a directory that it can't chdir() you back into. If fastcwd encounters a problem it will return undef but will probably leave you in a different directory. For a measure of extra security, if everything appears to have worked, the fastcwd() function will check that it leaves you in the same directory that it started in. If it has changed it will "die" with the message "Unstable directory path, current directory changed unexpectedly". That should never happen. fastgetcwd my $cwd = fastgetcwd(); The fastgetcwd() function is provided as a synonym for cwd(). abs_path and friends These functions are exported only on request. They each take a single argument and return the absolute pathname for it. abs_path my $abs_path = abs_path($file); Uses the same algorithm as getcwd(). Symbolic links and relative-path components ("." and "..") are resolved to return the canonical pathname, just like realpath(3). Taint-safe. realpath my $abs_path = realpath($file); A synonym for abs_path(). Taint-safe. fast_abs_path my $abs_path = fast_abs_path($file); A more dangerous, but potentially faster version of abs_path. This function is Not taint-safe : you can't use it in programs that work under taint mode. $ENV{PWD} If you ask to override your chdir() built-in function, use Cwd qw(chdir); then your PWD environment variable will be kept up to date. Note that it will only be kept up to date if all packages which use chdir import it from Cwd. NOTES
o Since the path seperators are different on some operating systems ('/' on Unix, ':' on MacPerl, etc...) we recommend you use the File::Spec modules wherever portability is a concern. o Actually, on Mac OS, the "getcwd()", "fastgetcwd()" and "fastcwd()" functions are all aliases for the "cwd()" function, which, on Mac OS, calls `pwd`. Likewise, the "abs_path()" function is an alias for "fast_abs_path()". SEE ALSO
File::chdir perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 Cwd(3pm)