Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Email notification error on Solaris Post 303018984 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 20th of June 2018 02:44:55 PM
Old 06-20-2018
Maybe the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the host itself is not in /etc/hosts ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Why am I not recieving email notification?

I have been a member for almost a year now. I have always recieved email notifications when I select "subcribe to this thread" at the bottom of posts that I reply to. However, over the last month or so, I have not been recieving email notification of replys to posts I respond to. I have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kelam_Magnus
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab change and email notification

Hey guys Just need some help with crontab.Iam looking for a script that will alert particular user about its change through sendmail.We are using bash here. --CoolKid (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolkid
3 Replies

3. AIX

Problem with Cron Email Notification

I have two different cron jobs that run on the same days. The jobs are 7 hours apart. Both jobs are set to send notification emails when they start running. Both jobs always run successfully, but I only receive an email from the first job. I never get the email from the second job. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sasaliasim
1 Replies

4. AIX

Cron Job notification email

Hi, I'm fairly new to Aix and am looking for some help on the following. I have setup a cron job under root and want it to send the email once it's run to an external email address. I can get it to send the output in an email to me by using mail on the end of the crontab entry. But I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elmesy
1 Replies

5. AIX

Automated Error Email Notification on AIX

Hello Folks, I would like to setup automated error email notifications for any hardware + software + Hacmp errors. How can I do it ? I have searched on the internet, i have found something like a script erronotifier or something like that... P.S. I don't want to use a third party... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding Email notification script

Hello All, 1) I am trying to understand the shell script written already, below is the code in this code i am seeing a variable $EMAIL_ID which was not defined in entire script, neither it is passed as a parameter while executing shell script nor it is defined in .profile, could you please tell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

7. AIX

Sending an email notification when syslog goes down

Hi All of a sudden the syslog daemon in the server went down and then later I started it manually # ps -ef | grep syslogd root 217228 114906 0 Nov 16 - 0:00 /usr/sbin/syslogd root 430306 290870 0 14:18:11 pts/0 0:00 grep syslogd Can some one help me with a script which will monitor the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add Email Notification to Rsync

HI what i need to be able to do is add a email to the end of a rsync. my current ion configures writes a daily log to disk, but real want to send the log to a central email address. The current script is as below, is this possible? #!/bin/bash if then rsync -aWv --stats progress... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email notification is not working in spacewalk

Hi, I am using spacewalk tool ( Linux systems management solution ). I have configured probe notification and notification method in spacewalk. But I am not getting the notification mail. Checked the /var/log/maillog and the error message as follows, Dec 11 17:01:11 spserver... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nila
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Email Notification

Hi All, I need write a linux script which emails each record to the employee manager email-id which will be specified inside the file. Each employee can have a different manager too.. file contain 200 to 300 records Employee ID, Employee Name, Employee Email-ID, Manager, Manager... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tradingspecial
4 Replies
HOSTNAME(1)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       HOSTNAME(1)

NAME
hostname - show or set the system's host name domainname - show or set the system's NIS/YP domain name dnsdomainname - show the system's DNS domain name nisdomainname - show or set system's NIS/YP domain name ypdomainname - show or set the system's NIS/YP domain name nodename - show or set the system's DECnet node name SYNOPSIS
hostname [-v] [-a] [--alias] [-d] [--domain] [-f] [--fqdn] [-i] [--ip-address] [--long] [-s] [--short] [-y] [--yp] [--nis] [-n] [--node] hostname [-v] [-F filename] [--file filename] [hostname] domainname [-v] [-F filename] [--file filename] [name] nodename [-v] [-F filename] [--file filename] [name] hostname [-v] [-h] [--help] [-V] [--version] dnsdomainname [-v] nisdomainname [-v] ypdomainname [-v] DESCRIPTION
Hostname is the program that is used to either set or display the current host, domain or node name of the system. These names are used by many of the networking programs to identify the machine. The domain name is also used by NIS/YP. GET NAME When called without any arguments, the program displays the current names: hostname will print the name of the system as returned by the gethostname(2) function. domainname, nisdomainname, ypdomainname will print the name of the system as returned by the getdomainname(2) function. This is also known as the YP/NIS domain name of the system. nodename will print the DECnet node name of the system as returned by the getnodename(2) function. dnsdomainname will print the domain part of the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name). The complete FQDN of the system is returned with host- name --fqdn. SET NAME When called with one argument or with the --file option, the commands set the host name, the NIS/YP domain name or the node name. Note, that only the super-user can change the names. It is not possible to set the FQDN or the DNS domain name with the dnsdomainname command (see THE FQDN below). The host name is usually set once at system startup in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 or /etc/init.d/boot (normally by reading the contents of a file which contains the host name, e.g. /etc/hostname). THE FQDN You can't change the FQDN (as returned by hostname --fqdn) or the DNS domain name (as returned by dnsdomainname) with this command. The FQDN of the system is the name that the resolver(3) returns for the host name. Technically: The FQDN is the name gethostbyname(2) returns for the host name returned by gethostname(2). The DNS domain name is the part after the first dot. Therefore it depends on the configuration (usually in /etc/host.conf) how you can change it. Usually (if the hosts file is parsed before DNS or NIS) you can change it in /etc/hosts. OPTIONS
-a, --alias Display the alias name of the host (if used). -d, --domain Display the name of the DNS domain. Don't use the command domainname to get the DNS domain name because it will show the NIS domain name and not the DNS domain name. Use dnsdomainname instead. -F, --file filename Read the host name from the specified file. Comments (lines starting with a `#') are ignored. -f, --fqdn, --long Display the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name). A FQDN consists of a short host name and the DNS domain name. Unless you are using bind or NIS for host lookups you can change the FQDN and the DNS domain name (which is part of the FQDN) in the /etc/hosts file. -h, --help Print a usage message and exit. -i, --ip-address Display the IP address(es) of the host. -n, --node Display the DECnet node name. If a parameter is given (or --file name ) the root can also set a new node name. -s, --short Display the short host name. This is the host name cut at the first dot. -V, --version Print version information on standard output and exit successfully. -v, --verbose Be verbose and tell what's going on. -y, --yp, --nis Display the NIS domain name. If a parameter is given (or --file name ) then root can also set a new NIS domain. FILES
/etc/hosts AUTHOR
Peter Tobias, <tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de> Bernd Eckenfels, <net-tools@lina.inka.de> (NIS and manpage). Steve Whitehouse, <SteveW@ACM.org> (DECnet support and manpage). net-tools 28 Jan 1996 HOSTNAME(1)