Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shifting of data because of special characters Post 303018841 by RudiC on Sunday 17th of June 2018 05:19:42 AM
Old 06-17-2018
What be the OS and shell versions? Are you on a *nix system at all? If yes, the locale command will output your settings.
There seem to be a few non-ASCII characters in your file (as expected, BTW). Try the iconv or recode *nix commands to convert from your "codepage" to your locale char encoding.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

special characters

I have one file which is named ^? ( the DEL character ) I'd like to know how to rename or copy the file by using its i-node number TYIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nawnaw
2 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

get rid of special characters

Hi Friends, we have recently installed RHEL4.4 and when i give the commd ls -l > tt it prints the file name with some special charactes like ^[[00m1 in the begining of the file name and at the end of the file name. I wanted to use the file names of removing it before taking the backup and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vakharia Mahesh
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special characters

When I open a file in vi, I see the following characters: \302\240 Can someone explain what these characters mean. Is it ASCII format? I need to trim those characters from a file. I am doing the following: tr -d '\302\240' ---------- Post updated at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sid1982
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters

hello all I am writing a perl code and i wish to remove the special characters for text. I wish to remove all extended ascii characters. If the list of special characters is huge, how can i do this using substitute command s/specialcharacters/null/g I really want to code like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see special characters?

Hi all, I was wondering how can i see the special characters like \t, \n or anything else in a file by using Nano or any other linux command like less, more etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvj
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace "]Facebook" from the text but sed 's/]Facebook/Johan/g' is not working could you please help me with that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOw to find special characters

I have flat file which has data like this glid¿as_liste¿025175456 How can I print these lines into new file? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

special characters in IF TEST

I'm using Korn shell. I'm doing an IF TEST for lots of characters and don't know how to also check for single quote and parentheses and slash. I'm reading a file and some records have garbage characters in them. The following works, but how do I add single quote, parentheses and slash to the IF... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert and shifting data at column

Hi all, i have data like this joe : 1 :a bob : 2 :b sue : 3 :c foo : 4 :d at column 2 i want to insert TOP to the top column and at column 3 i want to insert BOTTOM to the bottom column. and the result will... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychop13
12 Replies
vcrop(1Vi)																vcrop(1Vi)

NAME
vcrop - crop an image SYNOPSIS
vcrop [-option ...] [infile] [outfile] DESCRIPTION
vcrop crops a file of images using a cropping rectangle specified by command line options. COMMAND LINE OPTIONS
vcrop accepts the following options: -help Prints a message describing options. -in infile Specifies a Vista data file containing the input images. -out outfile Specifies where to write the cropped images as a Vista data file. -top row Specifies the first (top) row of the cropping rectangle. -bottom row Specifies the last (bottom) row of the cropping rectangle. -left col Specifies the first (leftmost) column of the cropping rectangle. -right col Specifies the last (rightmost) column of the cropping rectangle. -height nrows Specifies the height of the cropping rectangle. -width ncols Specifies the width of the cropping rectangle. The cropping rectangle must be unambiguously specified by using any two of -top, -bottom, and -height, plus any two of -left, -right, and -width. The cropping rectangle may fall partially or completely outside an image it is cropping; in that case, the area outside is filled with zeros. Input and output files can be specified on the command line or allowed to default to the standard input and output streams. SEE ALSO
vxcrop(1Vi), VImage(3Vi), Vista(7Vi) AUTHOR
Ralph Horstmann <horstman@cs.ubc.ca> Vista Version 1.12 24 April 1993 vcrop(1Vi)