Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I apply 'date' command to specific columns, in a BASH script? Post 303018766 by richardsantink on Thursday 14th of June 2018 01:06:17 PM
Old 06-14-2018
Thank you both! I will try both approaches.

Smilie

R

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to get info from specific rows & columns (.xls file)

Hi all, I want to read some specific rows & columns in the .xls file with my script to get the data to be manipulated. Now, I can read the .xls file correctly & i can go to the specific sheet that I want but i have a problem to specify the specific rows & columns. I mean, I want to get the info... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yohannita
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for get lines with specific date

I'm a newbie in AIX, i want to make a script for grep any lines with date bellow 20 PRINT0089-88615 data1 3072 Mon Dec 19 17:53:49 WITA 2011 PRINT0089-88616 data1 4096 Mon Dec 19 17:53:49 WITA 2011 PRINT0089-88618 data1 5120 Mon Dec 19... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: michlix
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command to filter specific type of files older than certain date.

Hi I need to find the list of files in a directory and to do some specific operations based on the type of files. suppose in a directory am having .dat , .log, .err, .rej file types. i need to filter out .dat and .log only which are older than six months. i used the below query but the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msathees
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to view command in history for specific date

hi i want to find a command in history for specific date . is it possible that i can view ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptor
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to get list of Linux commands used on specific date through HISTORY command

I want to get list of linux commands used on Jan 01 2014 with the help of HISTORY command or some other linux commands,. Kindly help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick nath
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Two Columns - Apply Condition on Six other columns

Hello All, Here is my input univ1 chr1 100 200 - GeneA 500 1 0 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 univ1 chr1 100 200 - GeneA 600 1 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.1 univ1 chr1 100 200 - GeneA 700 1 0 0.4 0.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to accept specific columns from excel

Hi All, I have below perl script which writes xml from .xls file. Now i want to add below two conditions in this script : 1. to check if the the input .xls file has ony two columns , if more tahn two columns then script should pop up an error. 2. If there are two columns , then first column... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check for a specific number of columns in a file

Hi All I have a file which has five columns in each rows. cat file.txt a|b|c|d|e 1|2|3|4|5 a1|a2|a3|a4|a5 . . . I need to make sure that there are no less than five or more than five columns (in all the rows) by mistake. I tried this : cat file.txt | awk 'BEGIN{FS="|"};{print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to select text and apply it to a selected file in bash

In the bash below I am asking the user for a panel and reading that into bed. Then asking the user for a file and reading that into file1.Is the grep in bold the correct way to apply the selected panel to the file? I am getting a syntax error. Thank you :) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to apply functions to multiple columns dynamically

Hello, I have a requirement to apply hashing algorithm on flat file on one or more columns dynamically based on header sample input file ID|NAME|AGE|GENDER 10|ABC|30|M 20|DEF|20|F say if i want multiple columns based on the header example id,name or id,age or name,gender and hash and... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkathi
13 Replies
dp(8)							      System Manager's Manual							     dp(8)

NAME
dp - parse dates RFC 822-style SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/dp [-form file] [-format string] [-help] [-width columns] dates OPTIONS
Overrides the default output format of dp. The output is formatted according to the instructions in the specified file. This must be a format file; see mh-format(4). Overrides the default output format of dp. The output is formatted according to the instructions in the specified string. This must be a format string; see mh-format(4). The argument to the -format option must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes dp. Therefore, you should usually place the argument to this option inside double quotes ("). Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Specifies the width of the screen in columns. The defaults for this command are as follows: -width defaults to the width of the terminal DESCRIPTION
The dp command parses dates according to the ARPA Internet standard. It also understands many non-standard formats, such as those produced by TOPS-20 sites and some UNIX sites using ctime(3). It is useful for seeing how MH will interpret a date. The dp program treats each argument as a single date, and prints the date out in the official RFC 822 format. Hence, it is usually best to enclose each argument in double quotes (") for the shell. EXAMPLES
This is the default format string used by dp: %<(nodate{text})error: %{text}%|%(pretty{text})%> When an error is detected, this prints error: and the date that is in error. Otherwise, it outputs the proper RFC 822 format of the date. FILES
User profile. SEE ALSO
Commands: ap(8) Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC 822) dp(8)