Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Finding largest files takes too long Post 303018699 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 13th of June 2018 01:10:57 PM
Old 06-13-2018
If your bottleneck is the many fork()s then it helps to replace
Code:
-exec ls -ld {} \;

with
Code:
-exec ls -ld {} +

The + bundles the arguments and forks/execs few ls with the maximum number of arguments.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out how long a command takes to run

Hi I am trying to find out the best way to find out how long a command takes to run in miliseconds .. Is there such a way of doing this in Unix ? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cfoxwell
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing a process that takes too long

Hello, I have a C program that takes anywhere from 5 to 100 arguments and I'd like to run it from a script that makes sure it doesnt take too long to execute. If the C program takes more than 5 seconds to execute, i would like the shell script to kill it and return a short message to the user. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: WeezelDs
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding largest files (not directories)?

hello all. i would like to be able to find the names of all files on a remote machine using ssh. i only want the names of files, not directories so far i'm stuck at "du -a | sort -n" also, is it possible to write them to a file on my machine? i know how to write it to a file on that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user19190989
2 Replies

4. Linux

it takes long time to login on server

Hi, I am trying to login using ssh on Red Hat Linux 5 server, The password appears immediately but after I enter the password it takes about 90 seconds to login completely. Please suggest what changes require? Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

time how long it takes to load a module

Hello, like the title says, how can i measure the time it takes to load a module in Linux, and how how can i measure the time it takes to load a statically compiled module. /Best Regards Olle ---------- Post updated at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:54 AM ---------- For... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ollebanan
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort takes a long time

Dear experts I have a 200MG text file in this format: text \tab number I try to sort using options -fd and it takes very long! is that normal or I can speed it up in some ways? I dont want to split the file since this one is already splitted. I use this command: sort -fd file >... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: voolek
12 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

database takes long time to process

Hi, we currently having a issue where when we send jobs to the server for the application lawson, it is taking a very long time to complete. here are the last few lines of the database log. 2012-09-18-10.35.55.707279-240 E244403536A576 LEVEL: Warning PID : 950492 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techy1
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find command takes too long to complete

Hi, Below is my find command find /opt/app/websphere -name myfolder -perm -600 | wc -l At time it even takes 20 mins to complete. my OS is : SunOS mypc 5.10 Generic_150400-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5440 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command takes long

Hi, I am trying to search for a Directory called "mont" under a directory path "/opt/app/var/dumps" Although "mont" is in the very parent directory called "dumps" i.e "/opt/app/var/dumps/mont" and it can never be inside any Sub-Directory of "dumps"; my below find command which also checks... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script takes too long to complete

Hi, I have a lengthy script which i have trimmed down for a test case as below. more run.sh #!/bin/bash paths="allpath.txt" while IFS= read -r loc do echo "Working on $loc" startdir=$loc find "$startdir" -type f \( ! -name "*.log*" ! -name "*.class*" \) -print | while read file do... (8 Replies)
8 Replies
RMM(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMM(1)

NAME
rmm - remove messages SYNOPSIS
rmm [+folder] [msgs] [-unlink | -nounlink] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
By default, rmm will remove the specified messages by renaming each of the message files with a site-dependent prefix (usually a comma). Such files will then need to be removed in some manner after a certain amount of time. Many sites arrange for cron to remove these files once a day, so check with your system administrator. Alternately, if you wish for rmm to really remove the files representing these messages, you can use the -unlink switch. But messages removed by this method cannot be later recovered. If you prefer a more sophisticated method of `removing' messages, you can define the rmmproc profile component. For example, you can add a profile component such as rmmproc: /home/foouser/bin/rmm_msgs then instead of simply renaming the message file, rmm will call the named program or script to handle the files that represent the messages to be deleted. Some users of csh prefer the following: alias rmm 'refile +d' where folder `+d' is a folder for deleted messages, and alias mexp 'rm `mhpath +d all`' is used to "expunge" deleted messages. The current message is not changed by rmm, so a next will advance to the next message in the folder as expected. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder rmmproc: Program to delete the message SEE ALSO
refile(1), rmf(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to cur `-nounlink' CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. BUGS
Since refile uses your rmmproc to delete the message, the rmmproc must NOT call refile without specifying -normmproc, or you will create an infinte loop. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMM(1)