Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories. Post 303018592 by jim mcnamara on Monday 11th of June 2018 09:07:11 AM
Old 06-11-2018
Hmm. chmod -R and chown -r are recursive and will work down from the directory on the command line on down. Also check out chgrp.

Anyway - with your restrictions you have some choices.

Some example choices:
For a single user you could create a unique group, just for the one person, and assign file permissions allowing that group access.

Create a sudo access privileged account and grant the user access that way ie., temporarily change the user, not the group.

Change ownership or group permissions of the file tree

Use RBAC and grant the user a role. Defining the role for the first time is not trivial, but is probably your best choice.

So, we need a lot more information -- FWIW why no ACL's? they would work easily.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 06-11-2018 at 10:13 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change permission for directories and files

Is there a way to change subdirectories permission plus the files in the subdirectories in a directory i specified without using the find command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mingfei2006
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch delete specific folder from user home directories

Hi! Need your help. How can I delete the cache folder of multiple user home directories via automatically executed shell script on a Mac OS X Server? Example: The userdata are stored on a Xsan Volume like this: /Volumes/Xsan/userdata/mike /Volumes/Xsan/userdata/peter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nipodrom
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Read & Write on different directories

Hi, root@server] df -h 121G 14G 101G 12% /home 147G 126G 14G 91% /backup We having our site files and images are storing in /backup/home/user/files/ through symbolic link created in /home directory pointing in /backup directory as following. root@server] cd /home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirfan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find out in which directories a user can write?

Hi everybody, what command can show me the directories in which a certain user can write to? Kind Regards FranzB (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FranzB
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Giving write permission to multiple directories

Hi, i am having following directory structure Folder1 -> Folder2 -> Folder3 Folder4 Folder5 Now i am at top level and want to assign write permission to all the folder & files in it. i am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do UNIX Permission apply to sub directories?

Hi Guys, Can you tell me if unix permissions apply to sub dirs? Dir is /home/ops/batch/files/all /home is rwxrwxrwx ops is rwxrwxrwx batch is rwxr-wr-w files is rwxrwxrwx all is rwxrwxrwx Having problems writing to all (does the userid nee to be the batch owner... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Grueben
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Highlight directories in path with execute permission for others

Hi all, I'm trying to make a script that takes at the most one argument and lists all directories in the path in a special format: User Group Other Filename rwx r-- r-x \ rwx r-x r-- home This is my code as it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trinimini
1 Replies

9. AIX

Assign read write permission to the user for specific dir and it's sub dir and files in AIX

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. I do not want to assign user the same group of that directories too.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
0 Replies
chgrp(1)						      General Commands Manual							  chgrp(1)

NAME
chgrp - Changes the group ownership of a file or directory SYNOPSIS
chgrp [-fhR] group file The chgrp command changes the group associated with the specified file or directory to group. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: chgrp: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] Suppresses all error reporting. [Tru64 UNIX] If file is a symbolic link, the command chgrp -h file changes the group of the symbolic link. The command chgrp file changes the group of the file referenced by the symbolic link. Causes chgrp to descend recursively through its directory arguments, setting the specified group ID. OPERANDS
A group name from the group database or a numeric group ID. Either specifies a group ID to be given to each file named by one of the file operands. If a numeric group operand exists in the group database as a group name, the group ID number associated with that group name is used as the group ID. A pathname of a file whose group ID is to be modified. DESCRIPTION
To change the group ID of a file, you must have superuser privilege or your effective user ID must match the owner ID of the file. If you do not have superuser privilege you can change the group ID of a file only to your effective group ID or to the value of a group of which you are a member. The group argument must be either a valid group name that already exists in the group database or a valid group ID. For each file operand, the chgrp command performs actions equivalent to the chown() function called with the following arguments: The file operand is used as the path argument. The user ID of the file is used as the owner argument. The specified group ID is used as the group argument. Unless the chgrp command is invoked by a process with appropriate privileges, the set-user-ID and set-group-ID bits of a file are cleared upon successful completion. NOTES
If the chgrp command is invoked with the -R option and attempts but fails to change the group ID of a particular file in a specified file hierarchy, it continues to process the remaining files in the hierarchy. If the chgrp command cannot read or search a directory within a hierarchy, it continues to process the other parts of the hierarchy that are accessible. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion, all requested changes were made. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To change the group ownership of the file or directory named proposals to staff, enter: chgrp staff proposals The group access permissions for proposals now apply to staff. See chmod for details. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of chgrp: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. FILES
Contains group information. SEE ALSO
Commands: chmod(1), chown(1), groups(1) Functions: chmod(2), chown(2) Files: group(4) Standards: standards(5) chgrp(1)