Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories. Post 303018592 by jim mcnamara on Monday 11th of June 2018 09:07:11 AM
Old 06-11-2018
Hmm. chmod -R and chown -r are recursive and will work down from the directory on the command line on down. Also check out chgrp.

Anyway - with your restrictions you have some choices.

Some example choices:
For a single user you could create a unique group, just for the one person, and assign file permissions allowing that group access.

Create a sudo access privileged account and grant the user access that way ie., temporarily change the user, not the group.

Change ownership or group permissions of the file tree

Use RBAC and grant the user a role. Defining the role for the first time is not trivial, but is probably your best choice.

So, we need a lot more information -- FWIW why no ACL's? they would work easily.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 06-11-2018 at 10:13 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change permission for directories and files

Is there a way to change subdirectories permission plus the files in the subdirectories in a directory i specified without using the find command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mingfei2006
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch delete specific folder from user home directories

Hi! Need your help. How can I delete the cache folder of multiple user home directories via automatically executed shell script on a Mac OS X Server? Example: The userdata are stored on a Xsan Volume like this: /Volumes/Xsan/userdata/mike /Volumes/Xsan/userdata/peter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nipodrom
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Read & Write on different directories

Hi, root@server] df -h 121G 14G 101G 12% /home 147G 126G 14G 91% /backup We having our site files and images are storing in /backup/home/user/files/ through symbolic link created in /home directory pointing in /backup directory as following. root@server] cd /home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirfan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find out in which directories a user can write?

Hi everybody, what command can show me the directories in which a certain user can write to? Kind Regards FranzB (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FranzB
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Giving write permission to multiple directories

Hi, i am having following directory structure Folder1 -> Folder2 -> Folder3 Folder4 Folder5 Now i am at top level and want to assign write permission to all the folder & files in it. i am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do UNIX Permission apply to sub directories?

Hi Guys, Can you tell me if unix permissions apply to sub dirs? Dir is /home/ops/batch/files/all /home is rwxrwxrwx ops is rwxrwxrwx batch is rwxr-wr-w files is rwxrwxrwx all is rwxrwxrwx Having problems writing to all (does the userid nee to be the batch owner... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Grueben
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Highlight directories in path with execute permission for others

Hi all, I'm trying to make a script that takes at the most one argument and lists all directories in the path in a special format: User Group Other Filename rwx r-- r-x \ rwx r-x r-- home This is my code as it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trinimini
1 Replies

9. AIX

Assign read write permission to the user for specific dir and it's sub dir and files in AIX

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. I do not want to assign user the same group of that directories too.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
0 Replies
CHGRP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  CHGRP(1)

NAME
chgrp -- change group SYNOPSIS
chgrp [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] group file ... DESCRIPTION
The chgrp utility sets the group ID of the file named by each file operand to the group ID specified by the group operand. The following options are available: -f The force option ignores errors, except for usage errors and doesn't query about strange modes (unless the user does not have proper permissions). -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed). -h If the file is a symbolic link, the group ID of the link itself is changed rather than the file that is pointed to. -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. This is the default. Use -h to change the group ID of a symbolic link. -R Change the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. -v Cause chgrp to be verbose, showing files as the group is modified. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The group operand can be either a group name from the group database, or a numeric group ID. If a group name is also a numeric group ID, the operand is used as a group name. The user invoking chgrp must belong to the specified group and be the owner of the file, or be the super-user. DIAGNOSTICS
The chgrp utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
In previous versions of this system, symbolic links did not have groups. The -v option is non-standard and its use in scripts is not recommended. FILES
/etc/group group ID file SEE ALSO
chown(2), fts(3), group(5), passwd(5), symlink(7), chown(8) STANDARDS
The chgrp utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
March 31, 1994 BSD