Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories. Post 303018579 by blinkingdan on Monday 11th of June 2018 03:57:59 AM
Old 06-11-2018
Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help.

Last edited by blinkingdan; 06-11-2018 at 05:04 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change permission for directories and files

Is there a way to change subdirectories permission plus the files in the subdirectories in a directory i specified without using the find command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mingfei2006
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch delete specific folder from user home directories

Hi! Need your help. How can I delete the cache folder of multiple user home directories via automatically executed shell script on a Mac OS X Server? Example: The userdata are stored on a Xsan Volume like this: /Volumes/Xsan/userdata/mike /Volumes/Xsan/userdata/peter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nipodrom
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Read & Write on different directories

Hi, root@server] df -h 121G 14G 101G 12% /home 147G 126G 14G 91% /backup We having our site files and images are storing in /backup/home/user/files/ through symbolic link created in /home directory pointing in /backup directory as following. root@server] cd /home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirfan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find out in which directories a user can write?

Hi everybody, what command can show me the directories in which a certain user can write to? Kind Regards FranzB (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FranzB
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Giving write permission to multiple directories

Hi, i am having following directory structure Folder1 -> Folder2 -> Folder3 Folder4 Folder5 Now i am at top level and want to assign write permission to all the folder & files in it. i am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do UNIX Permission apply to sub directories?

Hi Guys, Can you tell me if unix permissions apply to sub dirs? Dir is /home/ops/batch/files/all /home is rwxrwxrwx ops is rwxrwxrwx batch is rwxr-wr-w files is rwxrwxrwx all is rwxrwxrwx Having problems writing to all (does the userid nee to be the batch owner... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Grueben
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Highlight directories in path with execute permission for others

Hi all, I'm trying to make a script that takes at the most one argument and lists all directories in the path in a special format: User Group Other Filename rwx r-- r-x \ rwx r-x r-- home This is my code as it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trinimini
1 Replies

9. AIX

Assign read write permission to the user for specific dir and it's sub dir and files in AIX

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. I do not want to assign user the same group of that directories too.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
0 Replies
getacl(1)						      General Commands Manual							 getacl(1)

NAME
getacl - list access control lists (ACLs) for files (JFS File Systems only) SYNOPSIS
file... DESCRIPTION
For each argument that is a regular file, special file, or named pipe, displays the owner, group, and the Access Control List (ACL). For each directory argument, displays the owner, group, and the ACL and/or the default ACL. Only directories contain default ACLs. With the option specified, the filename, owner, group, and the ACL of the file will be displayed. With the option specified, the filename, owner, group, and the default ACL of the file, if it exists, will be displayed. With options not specified, the filename, owner, group, and both the ACL, and the default ACL, if it exists, will be displayed. This command may be executed on a file system that does not support ACLs. It will report the ACL consisting of only the owning user, own- ing group, class and other entries, based on the permission bits. When multiple files are specified on the command line, a blank line will separate the ACL for each file. Options The command recognizes the following options: Displays the filename, owner, group, and the ACL of the specified file. Displays the the filename, owner, group, and the default ACL of the file, if it exists. Operands The command recognizes the following operand: file The file or directory from which retrieves the access control information. ACL Format The format of an ACL is: The first three lines show the filename, the file owner, and the file owning group. Note that when only the option is specified, and the file has no default ACL, only these three lines will be displayed. The entry without a user ID indicates the permissions that will be granted to the owner of the file. One or more additional entries indi- cate the permissions that will be granted to the specified users. The entry without a group identifier indicates the permissions that will be granted to the owning group of the file. One or more additional entries indicate the permissions that will be granted to the specified groups. The entry indicates the permissions that will be granted to others. The entries and may only exist for directories, and indicate the default user, group, and other entries that will be added to a file cre- ated within the directory. The uid is a login name, or a user ID if there is no entry for the uid in the system's password file; gid is a group name, or a group ID if there is no entry for the gid in the system's group file; and perm is a three character string composed of the letters representing the separate discretionary access rights: (read), (write), (execute/search), or the placeholder character The perm will be displayed in the following order: If a permission is not granted by an ACL entry, the placeholder character will appear. The ACL entries will be displayed in the order in which they will be evaluated when an access check is performed. The default ACL entries that may exist on a directory have no effect on access checks. The file owner permission bits represent the access that the owning user ACL entry has. The file group class permission bits represent the most access that any additional user entry, additional group entry, or the owning group entry may grant. The file other permission bits represent the access that the other ACL entry has. If a user invokes the command and changes the file group class permission bits, the access granted by the additional ACL entries may be restricted. In order to indicate that the file group class permission bits restrict an ACL entry, will display, after each affected entry, text in the form , where perm will show only the permissions actually granted. EXAMPLES
Given file with an ACL six entries long, the command would print: Given file with an ACL six entries long, after the command was issued, the command would print: Given directory with an ACL containing default entries, the command would print: Given directory the command would print: NOTICES
The output from will be in the correct format for input to the command. If the output from is redirected to a file, the file may be used as input to In this way, a user may easily assign one file's ACL to another file. FILES
for user IDs for group IDs SEE ALSO
chmod(1), ls(1), setacl(1). acl(2), aclsort(3C). getacl(1)