Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Doubt regarding stderr
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Doubt regarding stderr Post 303018574 by Vinoth R on Monday 11th of June 2018 12:23:45 AM
Old 06-11-2018
i got it now....Thanks

Last edited by Vinoth R; 06-11-2018 at 01:36 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stderr

in fprint(stderr, "lkjalsdi\n"); what does stderr mean? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell9
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stderr redirection

Does anyone know away of redirecting the stderr for a bourne or korn shell script to a file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

precedence of stderr and stdout

#!/usr/bin/perl open(STDOUT, ">>$Textfile") open(STDERR, ">>$Textfile") print "program running\n"; $final = join("+", $initial,$final) #5 close (STDOUT); close (STDERR);Hi all, above is my perl code. Notice i have captured the stdout and stderr to the same textfile. my code is expected to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDERR output

Hi, Need some help here on a script I'm writing. I know that STDERR is normally done is this manner: script 2>stderr.out However, if I wanted to output the stderr from a rsh command how do I do that? Example: su - username -c "rsh $hostname /opt/gilberteu/scriptname" 1>stdout... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilberteu
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use tee with stdout and stderr?

I have been doing this: make xyz &> xyz.log &; tail -f xyz.log The problem with this is that you never can ge sure when "make xyz" is done. How can I pipe both stderr and stdout into tee so both stderr and stdout are copied both to the display and to the log file? Thanks, Siegfried (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append stderr

Hi everybody. I was used to redirect stderr to a file in this way, calling a generic script:./myScript &> output.logBut now I need something more sophisticated...Inside a bash script I launch an executable in this way:${command} >> "${globalLogFile}"So I redirect the stdout into globalLogFile.... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr/stdout

Can somebody explain to me why the diff output is not going to stderr? Yet when I issue a diff from the command line the return code is -ne 1. I am guessing diff always writes to stdout??? Is there away I can force the difff to write to stderr USING THE CURRENT template. If possible, I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get stderr

Hello I try to store stderr into a variable, then if this var is not empty i send an email and stop my script. I think my problem is due of "<$dump" into my command line. my bad command line (see samples below on this post) if ! $returnedStr ; then echo ERROR READING DUMP: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giova
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr to a file as well

Hello everyone, I'm a nooby in Linux, and I need some help. I have a shell script like this: echo "Start of script" > ../My_Log_Dir/Script_Name.log .. cp ../My_DataIn/File.txt ../My_DataOut/ 2>> ../My_Log_Dir/Script_Name.log rc=$? .. echo "End of Script" >>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: H.Faria
5 Replies

10. Solaris

can't get stderr port

Hi Experts, i have a solaris 9 OS and i get the following message repeated many time in my /var/adm/messages : Oct 31 16:30:44 baobab rsh: can't get stderr port: Cannot assign requested address have you any idea how can i resolve this issue ??:confused: thanks for help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD