Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Rename File Name with Special Characters Post 303018495 by eskay on Thursday 7th of June 2018 09:15:33 PM
Old 06-07-2018
Rename File Name with Special Characters

I am trying to rename files with spaces and other characters and not able to be successful.

FileNames:
UPLOAD REFERENCE.xls
UPLOAD MASS REFERENCE.XLS

Code:
 find /UPLOAD REFERENCE/ -depth -type f -name "* *" -exec rename " " "_" "{}" ";"

The above one is successful to replace spaces but only one space.

I tried to replace all characters to be safe but not able to do it

Last edited by eskay; 06-08-2018 at 01:14 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see special characters in a file using vi

Hi, I have a file which has special characters. I can't see them when I "vi" the file. But I am sure there are some special un seen characters. How can I see them? Please help. Thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace Special characters in a file

Hi, I have a data like this in a file, 402003279034002000100147626030003300010000000000002000029000000 ær^M^\MÍW^H I need to replace those special char to some other char like # or $ Is there any ways to do it... I tried commands tr,sed and many but it was not able to replace because... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solai
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characters in file

I have file special.txt with the following data. <header info> 123$ty5%98&0asd 1@356fgbv78 09*&^5jkns43( ...........some more rows. In my output file, I want to eliminate all the special characters in my file and I want all other data. need some help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping special characters in file name...

dear, I would like to rename files in a dir to another format, so I write a bash shell script to handle it. But my problem now is how to handle files having special characters like spaces, (, ): "a b c (d).doc" It seems that I need to escape those characters before applying the "mv" command.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lau0001
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files and directories with special characters

Hello guys, I was looking for a shell script that removes all the special characters from the files and the subdirectories recursively. I could not locate it any more. Dose any body have a similar script that dose that? Thanks for the help. AV (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename rename with characters of file

Hi, I need a bit of help. I've used awk to get the first 7 characters of a file - awk '{print substr($0,0,7)}' test.csv How do I now take this variable to rename test.csv to variable.csv ? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sianm
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename file of special type

HI ! all till date I usually rename file like this n=201108290000 for file in *.nc; do file_name=M.m.1.1.1.$n.ready n=$(( $n+1 )) mv $file $file_name donebut in this case I have to rename file depending on basename of file, when I list files results like this, if there is leap... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File containing special characters

Hello All, I am facing challenges in order to transfer a file from windows to unix box,the file contains a special character '×' ,now when I am transferring the file from windows to unix that special character converted to something else like 'Ã' ,another thing I have noticed that the hardware is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prarat
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute special Characters into a file

Hi experts :) I need to replace special characters into a file , in the followiing way : " --> "" ' --> '' _--> \_ I tried with the sed command but I'm getting and error ksh: $: not found. ksh: $: not found. sed: Function s/\/\/ cannot be parsed. Any idea ? Thanks , KOLAS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kolas79
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a file containing special characters

I want to parse a file containing special characters, below is a sample content of file content of file : Serial_no:1$$@#first_name:Rahane$$@last_name:Ajiyenke@@#profession:cricketer!@#*&^ Serial_no:1$$@#first_name:Rahane$$@last_name:Ajiyenke@@#profession:cricketer!@#*&^... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajMjar
3 Replies
GIT-UPLOAD-ARCHIVE(1)                                               Git Manual                                               GIT-UPLOAD-ARCHIVE(1)

NAME
git-upload-archive - Send archive back to git-archive SYNOPSIS
git upload-archive <directory> DESCRIPTION
Invoked by git archive --remote and sends a generated archive to the other end over the Git protocol. This command is usually not invoked directly by the end user. The UI for the protocol is on the git archive side, and the program pair is meant to be used to get an archive from a remote repository. SECURITY
In order to protect the privacy of objects that have been removed from history but may not yet have been pruned, git-upload-archive avoids serving archives for commits and trees that are not reachable from the repository's refs. However, because calculating object reachability is computationally expensive, git-upload-archive implements a stricter but easier-to-check set of rules: 1. Clients may request a commit or tree that is pointed to directly by a ref. E.g., git archive --remote=origin v1.0. 2. Clients may request a sub-tree within a commit or tree using the ref:path syntax. E.g., git archive --remote=origin v1.0:Documentation. 3. Clients may not use other sha1 expressions, even if the end result is reachable. E.g., neither a relative commit like master^ nor a literal sha1 like abcd1234 is allowed, even if the result is reachable from the refs. Note that rule 3 disallows many cases that do not have any privacy implications. These rules are subject to change in future versions of git, and the server accessed by git archive --remote may or may not follow these exact rules. If the config option uploadArchive.allowUnreachable is true, these rules are ignored, and clients may use arbitrary sha1 expressions. This is useful if you do not care about the privacy of unreachable objects, or if your object database is already publicly available for access via non-smart-http. OPTIONS
<directory> The repository to get a tar archive from. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-UPLOAD-ARCHIVE(1)