Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash : More parameter expansion and IFS Post 303018409 by sumguy on Tuesday 5th of June 2018 02:10:57 PM
Old 06-05-2018
Tsch .. thanks. You guys are wizards Smilie !

Cant quite put it all together. Maybe someday when I grow up Ill be a wizard too !!

Thanks fellas !!

---------- Post updated at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:56 PM ----------

... lightning fast too !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing html tags via parameter expansion

Hi all- I have a variable that contains a web page: echo $STUFF <html> <head> <title>my page</title></head> <body> blah blah etc.. Can I use the shell's parameter expansion abilities to remove just the tags? I thought that FIXHTML=${STUFF//<*>/} might do it, but it didn't seem to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rev66
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with parameter expansion

Say you have this numeric variable that can be set by the user but you never want it to leave a certain range when it gets printed. How could you use parameter expansion such that it will never expand outside of that boundary? Thanks ---------- Post updated at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous update... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevenswj
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash parameter expansion from a config file

Hi - I am trying to do a simple config file with known variable names in it, e.g.: contents of config file a.conf: -a -b $work -c $host simplified contents of bash script file: work='trunk' host='alaska' opts=$(tr '\n' ' ' < a.conf) opts="$opts $*" mycommand $opts arg1 arg2 The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrengert
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parameter expansion not working for all strings...

I'm trying to write a script that parses my music collection and hard link some filenames that my media player doesn't like to other names. To do this I need to extract the name and remove alla non ASCII characters from that and do a cp -l with the result. Problem is this: 22:16:58 $... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: refuser
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parameter Expansion with regular expression

Hello experts, I am exploring parameter expansion, and trying to cut the fields in a URL. Following is the requirement: I have // abc.nnt /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4/somefile.java What i need to get is the path after dir3, and dir3 will be passed. output that i need is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gjarms
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash IFS

I am using bash and resetting IFS as below when reading the command line arguments. I do this so I can call my script as in Ex1. Ex1: ./synt2d-ray3dmod.bash --xsrc=12/20/30 This allows me to split both sides so that when I do "shift" I can get 12/20/30 What I do not understand is... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
21 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Parameter Expansion

I have made the following examples that print various parameter expansions text: iv-hhz-sac/hpac/hhz.d/iv.hpac..hhz.d.2016.250.070018.sac (text%.*): iv-hhz-sac/hpac/hhz.d/iv.hpac..hhz.d.2016.250.070018 (text%%.*): iv-hhz-sac/hpac/hhz (text#*.): d/iv.hpac..hhz.d.2016.250.070018.sac... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Parameter Expansion

#!/bin/bash SNMPW='/usr/bin/snmpwalk' while read h i do loc=$($SNMPW -v3 -u 'Myusername' -l authPriv -a SHA -A 'Password1' -x AES -X 'Password2' $i sysLocation.0 2>/dev/null) loc=${loc:-" is not snmpable."} loc=${loc##*: } loc=${loc//,/} echo "$i,$h,$loc" done < $1 My question is ... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumguy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : Parameter expansion ${var:-file*}

Example data $ ls *somehost* 10.10.10.10_somehost1.xyz.com.log 11.11.11.11_somehost2.xyz.com.log #!/bin/bash #FILES="*.log" FILES=${FILES:-*.log} for x in $FILES do ip="${x%%_*}" # isolate IP address x="${x##*_}" # isolate hostname hnam="${x%.*}" # Remove the ".log"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use parameter expansion over a parameter expansion in bash.

Hello All, Could you please do help me here as I would like to perform parameter expansion in shell over a parameter expansion. Let's say I have following variable. path="/var/talend/nat/cdc" Now to get only nat I could do following. path1="${path%/*}" path1="${path1##*/}" Here... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
8 Replies
SPLIT(1)							   User Commands							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [OPTION]... [INPUT [PREFIX]] DESCRIPTION
Output fixed-size pieces of INPUT to PREFIXaa, PREFIXab, ...; default size is 1000 lines, and default PREFIX is `x'. With no INPUT, or when INPUT is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --suffix-length=N use suffixes of length N (default 2) -b, --bytes=SIZE put SIZE bytes per output file -C, --line-bytes=SIZE put at most SIZE bytes of lines per output file -d, --numeric-suffixes use numeric suffixes instead of alphabetic -l, --lines=NUMBER put NUMBER lines per output file --verbose print a diagnostic just before each output file is opened --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may have a multiplier suffix: b 512, kB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, GB 1000*1000*1000, G 1024*1024*1024, and so on for T, P, E, Z, Y. AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman. REPORTING BUGS
Report split bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for split is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and split programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'split invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 SPLIT(1)