Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy lines from x to y to another file Post 303018106 by RudiC on Tuesday 29th of May 2018 08:34:30 AM
Old 05-29-2018
Try

Code:
head -7 file | tail +2
hello asia 
hello europe 
hello africa 
hello america 
hello antartica 
hello australia

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy only the initial 10 lines from a file to another

Hi all, I'm new to shell scripting. I want to copy initial few lines(say first 10 lines) from a file to another file. There is no "head" command in our embedded system. sed & awk is there which I believe will do that, but I dont know how to. This is linux 2.6 (embedded) So please help me.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy multiple lines from a file to another using AWK?

Hi, I have a abc.txt file. In this file there is a SQL query which Iwant to copy and print it on another file.The query (for eg) is written like this: SELECT field1, field2, field3 from table1,table2 where <conditions> END I want to copy this query to another... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy lines from opne file to another

Hi all, I'm new to shell scripting. I want to copy the first N lines from a file to another file. Can someone please tell me how this can be done. Thanks Himi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HIMANI
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to capture new lines in a file and copy it to new file

Hi All, I have a file that gives me new line/output every 5 minutes. I need to create a script that capture new line/output besides "IN CRON_STATUS", in this case the new output is "begin ------ cron_status.sh - -----------". I want this script to capture the line starting from "begin ------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fara_aris
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep: Copy all lines from log file into new file

Hello everyone. I have a log file that contains multiple domains: www.thisdomain.com agent.thisdomain.com that.thisdomain.com I need to copy all of the lines that contain "www.thisdomain.com" from the log and output them into a new file. I've tried everything with little luck. Please help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aberli
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy and paste certain many lines of huge file in linux

Dear All, I am working with windoes OS but remote a linux machine. I wonder the way to copy an paste some part of a huge file in linux machine. the contain of file like as follow: ... dump annealling all custom 10 anneal_*.dat id type x y z q timestep 0.02 run 200000 Memory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariesto
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy selective lines from text file

Hello, I have a text file which I need to check for presence of certain tags, and then copy a subsequent portion of text into another file. The tag matching canbe done with Grep but I do not know how to copy selective lines from one file to another. Is it possible do that? I checked up some... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy range of lines in a file based on keywords from another file

Hi Guys, I have the following problem. I have original file (org.txt) that looks like this module v_1(.....) //arbitrary number of text lines endmodule module v_2(....) //arbitrary number of text lines endmodule module v_3(...) //arbitrary number of text lines endmodule module... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy lines that starts with either 3 or 4 into new file?

Hi Guys, I have an awk script that would search the input file for line that starts with a number 3 and copies into a new text file. I want to extend this script to find the lines that either starts with 3 or a or b and copy all those lines into the new file. Here is what I have so far:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amith821
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to copy only some lines from very big file?

Dear all, I have stuck with this problem for some days. I have a very big file, this file can not open by vi command. There are 200 loops in this file, in each loop will have one line like this: GWA quasiparticle energy with Z factor (eV) And I need 98 lines next after this line. Is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamnu
6 Replies
curs_scroll(3CURSES)					     Curses Library Functions					      curs_scroll(3CURSES)

NAME
curs_scroll, scroll, scrl, wscrl - scroll a curses window SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lcurses [ library ... ] #include <curses.h> int scroll(WINDOW *win); int scrl(int n); int wscrl(WINDOW *win, int n); DESCRIPTION
With the scroll() routine, the window is scrolled up one line. This involves moving the lines in the window data structure. As an optimiza- tion, if the scrolling region of the window is the entire screen, the physical screen is scrolled at the same time. With the scrl() and wscrl() routines, for positive n scroll the window up n lines (line i+n becomes i); otherwise scroll the window down n lines. This involves moving the lines in the window character image structure. The current cursor position is not changed. For these functions to work, scrolling must be enabled via scrollok(). RETURN VALUES
All routines return the integer ERR upon failure and an integer value other than ERR upon successful completion. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
curs_outopts(3CURSES), curses(3CURSES), attributes(5) NOTES
The header <curses.h> automatically includes the headers <stdio.h> and <unctrl.h>. Note that scrl() and scroll() may be macros. SunOS 5.10 31 Dec 1996 curs_scroll(3CURSES)