Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers One parent, multiple children pipe with fork() Post 303017883 by Ildiko on Wednesday 23rd of May 2018 07:11:54 PM
Old 05-23-2018
Linux One parent, multiple children pipe with fork()

The task I have to do is something along the lines "I receive some input and based on the first character I send it through pipe to one of the children to print".
The scheme it is based on is 1->2; 1->3; 1->4; 2 will print all the input that starts with a letter, 3 will print all the input that starts with a digit and 4 will print everything else. (Example: 12, Anne, **, *a will be printed by 3, 2, 4, 4)
I have quite understood how pipes work between one parent process and one child, but can't figure it out how to make this work, but I have tried, so I'mma attach the code down below. Any tip would be much appreciated.
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main()
{ int pipefd[2];
  int pipefe[2];
  int pipeff[2];
  pipe(pipefd);
  pipe(pipefe);
  pipe(pipeff);

char arr[80];
  scanf("%s", arr);
  int f1 = fork();

if(f1>0)
	{close(pipefd[0]);
	 close(pipefe[0]);
	 close(pipeff[0]);
	 if (arr[0]>='A'&&arr[0]<='z')
		{
         	write(pipefd[1], arr, strlen(arr)+1);
	 	close(pipefd[1]);
		}
	if(arr[0]>='0' && arr[0]<='9')
		{
		write(pipefe[1], arr, strlen(arr)+1);
	 	close(pipefe[1]);
		}
	else
	   {
	    write(pipeff[1], arr, strlen(arr)+1);
	    close(pipeff[1]);
	   }
         exit(0);
	}
   else if(fork()==0)
     { wait(NULL);
       close(pipefd[1]);
       read(pipefd[0], arr, strlen(arr)+1);
       printf("%s\n", arr);
       close(pipefd[0]);
       exit(0);
     }
   else if(fork()==0)
     { wait(NULL);
       close(pipefe[1]);
       read(pipefe[0], arr, strlen(arr)+1);
       printf("%s\n", arr);
       close(pipefe[0]);
       exit(0);
     }
   else if(fork()==0)
     { wait(NULL);
       close(pipeff[1]);
       read(pipeff[0], arr, strlen(arr)+1);
       printf("%s\n", arr);
       exit(0);
       return 0;
     }

}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to creat 1 parent to call 3 children

hi there, im trying to produce this program that would run at first, and when it runs it will fork one child process to a program and then another forking to run this other program, and then another one . i cant seem to get it right can someone help me please here is what is got so far: int... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zmanultra
1 Replies

2. Programming

pipe read and write with many forked children

I know how to read and write if i have a forked process with only one child. However what is involved with reading and writing with many forked processes. Say one parent that forks 5 children, and needs to communicate with all 5 in half duplex. int temp, counter=0; do{ pipe(temp); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveneliuk
5 Replies

3. Programming

Problems with child comunicating with parent on fork()

Hello, I'm trying to implement a version of a bucketSort (kinda) server/client, but I'm having a VERY hard time on making the server behave correctly, when talking to the children, after it forks. The server is kinda big (300+ lines), so I won't post it here, but here's what I'm doing. 1)create a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zarnick
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fork() 1 Parent 3 Children

Hi, as I understand fork(), it makes a copy of the parent which becomes a child. But is there anyway to make three children for that one parent. So in other words, if I look up the getppid() of the children, I want them to have the same value?? Thanks in advance to any help! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MS_CC
1 Replies

5. Programming

pipe-fork-execve

Hi everyone , after a pipe() system call i've forked and entred into the child process to execve a shell script .the problem here is that when the execve sys call fail , i want to send the error code (eg errno) to the parent process using the pipe writer side p , there is nothing received in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtremejames183
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a pipe using parent and child processes

Hello, I am trying to create a pipe that will direct stdout to in side of the pipe, and stdin to the out side of the pipe - I created two child processes to handle this. However, my pipe doesn't seem to be working correctly. Did I use execv() correctly? Command1 and command2 represent the two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jre247
3 Replies

7. Programming

parent called more times - fork - C language

Hi gurus can you explain following lines of code ? #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <errno.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/wait.h> int main(void) { pid_t pid; int rv; switch(pid = fork()) { case -1: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
7 Replies

8. Programming

Timed action after fork() in parent process

Assume you have such a piece of (more or less pseudo-)code: if(fork() == 0) {// childprocess chmod(someProgram, 00777); exec(someProgram); } else { // assume it never fails and this is the parent chmod(someProgram, 00000); // should be executed as soon as possible after the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: disaster
5 Replies

9. Programming

Multiple children and single pipe

Greetings everyone, I need a bit of help in solving the following problem: I'm given an array of numbers and I have to compute the sum of the array elements using n processes, and the inter process communication has to be done with pipes(one pipe, to be exact). I managed to solve the problem... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ephesos
14 Replies

10. Programming

fork(), parent and child processes???

Hi friends, I have a small question regarding unix system call fork, I hope you will solve my problem. Here is the small program $ cat fork1.c #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> int main() { int pid; int x = 0; x = x + 1; pid = fork(); if(pid < 0) {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies
PIPE(2) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe, pipe2 - create pipe SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int pipe(int pipefd[2]); #define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include <unistd.h> int pipe2(int pipefd[2], int flags); DESCRIPTION
pipe() creates a pipe, a unidirectional data channel that can be used for interprocess communication. The array pipefd is used to return two file descriptors referring to the ends of the pipe. pipefd[0] refers to the read end of the pipe. pipefd[1] refers to the write end of the pipe. Data written to the write end of the pipe is buffered by the kernel until it is read from the read end of the pipe. For fur- ther details, see pipe(7). If flags is 0, then pipe2() is the same as pipe(). The following values can be bitwise ORed in flags to obtain different behavior: O_NONBLOCK Set the O_NONBLOCK file status flag on the two new open file descriptions. Using this flag saves extra calls to fcntl(2) to achieve the same result. O_CLOEXEC Set the close-on-exec (FD_CLOEXEC) flag on the two new file descriptors. See the description of the same flag in open(2) for reasons why this may be useful. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EFAULT pipefd is not valid. EINVAL (pipe2()) Invalid value in flags. EMFILE Too many file descriptors are in use by the process. ENFILE The system limit on the total number of open files has been reached. VERSIONS
pipe2() was added to Linux in version 2.6.27; glibc support is available starting with version 2.9. CONFORMING TO
pipe(): POSIX.1-2001. pipe2() is Linux-specific. EXAMPLE
The following program creates a pipe, and then fork(2)s to create a child process; the child inherits a duplicate set of file descriptors that refer to the same pipe. After the fork(2), each process closes the descriptors that it doesn't need for the pipe (see pipe(7)). The parent then writes the string contained in the program's command-line argument to the pipe, and the child reads this string a byte at a time from the pipe and echoes it on standard output. #include <sys/wait.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <string.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { int pipefd[2]; pid_t cpid; char buf; if (argc != 2) { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <string> ", argv[0]); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } if (pipe(pipefd) == -1) { perror("pipe"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } cpid = fork(); if (cpid == -1) { perror("fork"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } if (cpid == 0) { /* Child reads from pipe */ close(pipefd[1]); /* Close unused write end */ while (read(pipefd[0], &buf, 1) > 0) write(STDOUT_FILENO, &buf, 1); write(STDOUT_FILENO, " ", 1); close(pipefd[0]); _exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } else { /* Parent writes argv[1] to pipe */ close(pipefd[0]); /* Close unused read end */ write(pipefd[1], argv[1], strlen(argv[1])); close(pipefd[1]); /* Reader will see EOF */ wait(NULL); /* Wait for child */ exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } } SEE ALSO
fork(2), read(2), socketpair(2), write(2), popen(3), pipe(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-09-10 PIPE(2)