Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Move multiple files to different directory using a single command Post 303017788 by Soham on Tuesday 22nd of May 2018 12:28:57 PM
Old 05-22-2018
Move multiple files to different directory using a single command

I have multiple files test1, test2, test3 etc. I want to move to a different directory with ABC_ prefixed to every file and and current dat time as postfix using a single command. (I will be using this is sftp with ! (command for local server).

I have tried the following but it gives error

Code:
cp * /other_dir/ABC_{*}_`date +%m%d%y`

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to rename multiple files with a single command

Hi I have following list of files at a path: 01.AR.asset 01.AR.index 01.AR.asset.vf 01.AR.asset.xv I want to rename all these files as follows: 73.AR.asset.Z 73.AR.index.Z 73.AR.asset.vf.Z 73.AR.asset.xv.Z Can any body give me a single command to acheive the above results. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move all files in a directory tree to a signal directory?

Is this possible? Let me know If I need specify further on what I am trying to do- I just want to spare you the boring details of my personal file management. Thanks in advance- Brian- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep multiple strings in multiple files using single command

Hi, I will use below command for grep single string ("osuser" is search string) ex: find . -type f | xarg grep -il osuser but i have one more string "v$session" here i want to grep in which file these two strings are present. any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance. Gagan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Empty out multiple files with a single command?

I have a log directory: /logs/foo.log /logs/bar.log /logs/err.out I'm trying to find a way to > /logs/*.log > /logs/*.out to blank them out, but of course, that doesn't work. Any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Validatorian
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single command to create multiple empty files(no trailing lines as well).

Hi, i need a single command to create multiple empty files(no trailing lines as well) and empty the files if already existing. please let me know or if this has been ansered, if some ocan share the link please, thanks > newfile.txt or :> newfile.txt do not work (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Onkar Banerjee
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sftp multiple files in single command

Hi All, I would like to sftp 2 files with a single command. I tried the below options, sftp suer@test13:"/u01/home/oracle/SetDb.sh /u01/home/oracle/.profile" ./ But what actually happens is Fetching /u01/home/oracle/SetDb.sh to /u01/home/oracle/.profile /u01/home/oracle/SetDb.sh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sid2013
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move gz files from one source directory to destination directory?

Hi All, Daily i am doing the house keeping in one of my server and manually moving the files which were older than 90 days and moving to destination folder. using the find command . Could you please assist me how to put the automation using the shell script . ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
11 Replies
music123(1)						      General Commands Manual						       music123(1)

NAME
music123 - plays various sound files (usually including MP3, Ogg and Wav). SYNOPSIS
music123 [ -hqrvz ] file ... DESCRIPTION
music123 is a shell around various command line programs to play music files. It will descend directories trees with -r, and randomize file lists with -z. The programs used and the options given them are listed in /etc/music123rc or ~/.music123rc. OPTIONS
-h Show command help and exit; -q Quiet mode. No messages are displayed. -r Recurse into directories, instead of ignoring them. -v Display version information and exit. -z Play files in random order. -Z Play the files randomly and endlessly. -l Loop. -z -l differs from -Z in that -z -l will randomize, play through the song list (without repetition) in random order once, and repeat the songs in that order over and over; -Z will randomly play the songs, without any order, and will possibly play a song right after itself. -i Ignore extension case. -L List files and exit. -T Start a task that handle commands, only one command supported : quit, using q or Q will quit the application at the end of the cur- rent song. -D Set music123 not to delay between songs. (May make music123 harder to kill). -d Customize the time music123 delays between songs. -d takes one argument, expressed in seconds, which may have a fractional part. -@ Play the files listed in the mandatory argument of -@. Other files can be added on the command line, and this option can be given several times. Note that music123 doesn't yet play URLs. -- End option list. EXAMPLES
Play three songs: music123 test1.ogg test2.mp3 test3.wav Play a couple of directories and other songs at random: music123 -z -r Rock/ test1.ogg Pop/ test4.wav FILES
/etc/music123rc Describes which programs music123 uses, which files types it supports, and which options it passes those programs. ~/.music123rc Per-user config file to override the system wide settings. AUTHORS
Authors: David Starner <dvdeug@debian.org> July 24, 2002 music123(1)