Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep a particular string from column eliminating characters at the end. Post 303017739 by vgersh99 on Monday 21st of May 2018 09:57:01 AM
Old 05-21-2018
Code:
MSG='news'
awk -F'|' '$3 == msg' msg="${MSG}" "${CRONOUTFILE}"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing characters from end of $string

I am writing a script to search PCL output and append more PCL data to the end accordingly. I need to remove the last 88 bytes from the string. I have searched for a few hours now and am coming up with nothing. I can't use head or tail because the PCL output is all on one line. awk crashes on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: craig2k
3 Replies

2. AIX

CUT command - cutting characters from end of string

Hello, I need to delete the final few characters from a parameter leaving just the first few. However, the characters which need to remain will not always be a string of the same length. For instance, the parameter will be passed as BN_HSBC_NTRS/hub_mth_ifce.sf. I only need the bit before the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JWilliams
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

UrgentPlease: compare 1 value with file values eliminating special characters

Hi All, I have file i have values like ---- 112 113 109 112 109 I have another file cat supplierDetails.txt ------------------------- 112|MIMUS|krishnaveni@google.com 113|MIMIRE|krishnaveni@google.com 114|MIMCHN|krishnaveni@google.com 115|CEL|krishnaveni@google.com... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittusri9
10 Replies

4. HP-UX

Eliminating characters between two expressions

Hi I have to eliminate all characters between ^ and a space in a file. Following lines - Test ^ H^@^@^@^@^@^@^B^VDM-BM-$|M-^_M-F^AM- File1 Test^H^@^@^@^@^@^F^A^X^@^SM-s^TM-3M-G^A File2 Should be printed as below Test File1 Test File2 I used sed '/^/,/ /d' command, but it is not working.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arsheshadri
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append char to the end of string from Nth column

I'm sure this is easy to do but I can't find a one line command with awk or sed to append a char to the end of the string from Nth column. Any sugestion please? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cabrao
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eliminating space constraint in grep

here in the below code just a space between 'Info' and '(' is showing that the patter doesnt match... echo "CREATE TABLE Info (" | grep -i "CREATE TABLE Info (" | wc | awk -F' ' '{print $1}' 1 echo "CREATE TABLE Info (" | grep -i "CREATE TABLE Info (" | wc | awk -F' ' '{print $1}' 0 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines that match string at end of column

I have this: 301205 0000030000041.49000000.00 2011111815505 908 301205 0000020000029.10000000.00 2011111815505 962 301205 0000010000027.56000000.00 2011111815505 3083 312291 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing characters from end of string

Hello, I have records like below that I want to remove any five characters from the end of the string before the double quotes unless it is only an asterik. 3919,5020 ,04/17/2012,0000000000006601.43,,0000000000000000.00,, 132, 251219,"*" 1668,0125 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed! - Cut characters after a text string and append to end of filename

Hi all.. I have several unique files that contain one thing in common, and that is acct#. For all files in the directory, I want to append the 10 characters following the word "ACCOUNT:" to the end of the filename. for example: I have file 111_123 that contains ACCOUNT:ABC1234567 The file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cinderella1
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string with regex numeric characters

Hi all, I have the following entries in a file: Cause Indicators=80 90 Cause Indicators=80 90 Cause Indicators=82 90 Cause Indicators=82 90 Cause Indicators=82 90 The first 2 digits might change so I am after a sort of grep which could find any first 2 digits + the second 2,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
3 Replies
news(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   news(1)

NAME
news - Writes system news items to standard output SYNOPSIS
news [-a|-n|-s] | [item...] The news command keeps you informed of news concerning the system. OPTIONS
Displays all news items, regardless of the currency time. The currency time does not change. Reports the names of current news items without displaying their contents. The currency time does not change. Reports the number of current news items without displaying their names or contents. The currency time does not change. DESCRIPTION
Each news item is contained in a separate file in the /usr/news directory. Anyone having read/write permission to this directory can cre- ate a news file. If you run the news command without any options, it displays the current files in /usr/news, beginning with the most recent. You can also specify the items you want displayed. Each file is preceded by an appropriate header. To avoid reporting old news, news stores a currency time. The news command considers your currency time to be the modification time of the file named $HOME/.news_time. Each time you read the news, the modification time of this file changes to that of the reading. Only news item files posted after this time are considered current. Pressing the Interrupt key sequence during the display of a news item stops the display of that item and starts the next. Pressing the Interrupt key sequence again ends news. Most users run news each time they log in by including the following line in their $HOME/.profile file or in the system's /etc/profile: news -n EXAMPLES
To display the items that were posted since you last read the news, enter: news To display all the news items, enter: news -a | pg This displays all the news items a page at a time, regardless of whether you have read them yet. To list the names of the news items that you have not read yet, enter: news -n Each name is a file in the /usr/news directory. To display specific news items, enter: news newusers services This displays news about newusers and services, which are names listed by news -n. To display the number of news items that you have not read yet, enter: news -s To post news for everyone to read, enter: cp schedule /usr/news This copies the file schedule into the system news directory ( /usr/news) to create the file /usr/news/schedule. To do this, you must have write permission for /usr/news. FILES
System profile. News files. Indicates the last time news was read. SEE ALSO
Commands: pg(1) news(1)