Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep a pattern in a key position a file Post 303017728 by DNM_UKN on Monday 21st of May 2018 07:31:59 AM
Old 05-21-2018
Question Grep a pattern in a key position a file

Hi guys,

So I have a file containing data of a marathon. Here's an example what it looks like including the given key:

Code:
# key: sex, time, athlete, athlete's nationality, date, city, country
M, 2:30:57.6, Harry Payne, GBR, 1929-07-05, Stamford Bridge, England
M, 2:5:42, Khalid Khannouchi, MAR, 1999-10-24, Chicago, USA
M, 2:5:37.8, Khalid Khannouchi, USA, 2002-04-14, London, USA

My task is to extract all lines that feature a runner's last name starting with a C.
What I did was; I sorted the file according to key 4 and redirected the output to a new file, which gave me the list sorted in alphabetical order according to their last name. I used this command to do this;
Code:
sort -k 4 marathon > t21a

Does anyone know if there is a command that allows me to grep all entries which have the last name starting with C from the key position these terms are in?
Any help would be much appreciated.

I have tried to grep from a key position but the option I used(from sort) does not exist for grep;
Code:
grep -k 4 '^[C,c]' t21b > t21c

Thank you Smilie

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-21-2018 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Unusual error : KEY in LOCKED position ignoring debug enter sequence

Hi, This was very unusual situation I never came across & we have SUN engineers working on this. We have Sun Fire V240 Server, 2 1.5-GHz UltraSPARC IIIi CPU, Solaris 9 Installed During the boot-up it gives following message, <date> <server name> unix : KEY in LOCKED position ignoring... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sacrh
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to awk/sed/grep lines which contains a pattern at a given position

Dear friends I am new to linux and was trying to split some files userwise in our linux server. I have a data file of 156 continuous columns named ecscr final. I want the script to redirect all the lines containing a pattern of 7 digits to separate files. I was using grep to do that,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anoopvraj
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep a pattern in gz file

I have a set of .gz files. I need to grep a pattern and need to find out the file in which that pattern occurs. zgrep in not available in my server.Any other options available for searching a pattern without unzipping the .gz files. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rprajendran
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep in a file for a particular pattern in a particular position witihn the file

Assume I have a file with a lot of data sets like 123 abc 01 456 def 02 789 ghi and I only want to grep all that datasets from my file having the pattern '02' at the postion 9-10 to get only 456 def 02 So I could group the datsets into three files according to the position 9-10, one... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the position of a pattern on a line from a csv file

hello I'm doing a unix program and i'm using many file csv.in each csv file the colums are separated by ";" I would like to know the position of a pattern. For example for a line yyyy, bbbb, cccc; ddddd;eeee. I will like for example by finding the position of the pattern "cccc" and the response is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: papis
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find the file names having specified pattern at specified position in the current directory

I would need a command for finding first 15000 of the file names whose 25th postion is 5 in the current directory alone. I do have this painful command find . -name '5*' | head -15000 | cut -c3- please refine this. Of course the above command also searches in the sub directories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vk39221
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the 5th and 6th position character of a word in a file

I am trying to find/grep the 5th and 6th position character (TX) of a word in a file. I tried to do grep "....TX" file The output gives me everything in the file with TX in it. I only need the output with the TX in the 5th and 6th position of the word. Any idea Example: test1 car... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: e_mikey_2000
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a file pattern in another

Hi I'm new to the forum, so I'd apologize for any error in the format of the post. I'm trying to find a file content in another one using: grep -w -f file1 file2 file1 GJA7 TSC file 2 GJC1 GJA7 TSC1 TSC (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: flyfisherman
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk usage to grep a pattern 1 and with reference to this grep a pattern 2 and pattern 3

Hi , I have a file where i have modifed certain things compared to original file . The difference of the original file and modified file is as follows. # diff mir_lex.c.modified mir_lex.c.orig 3209c3209 < if(yy_current_buffer -> yy_is_our_buffer == 0) { --- >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies

10. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Search for a pattern and replace a space at specific position with a Character in File

In file, we have millions of records each of 1000 in length. And at specific position say 800 there is a space, we need to replace it with Character X if the ID in that row starts with 123. So far i have used the below which is replacing space at that position to X but its not checking for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagmeet Singh
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)