Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Xdm error 2817 SunOS 4.1.4 OpenWindows Post 303017526 by goodbyespy on Thursday 17th of May 2018 03:07:54 AM
Old 05-17-2018
Hello!
Thank you very much MadeInGermany!
I have solved issue.
Well,
1. in the file /etc/ttytab
- console ... off
2. in the file /usr/openwin/lib/xdm/xdm-config
added a line
- DisplayManager*startup: /usr/openwin/lib/xdm/Xstartup
3. in the folder /usr/openwin/lib/xdm
created a file Xstartup:
#############
/usr/etc/chown $USER /dev/console
/usr/etc/chown $USER /tmp/.NeWS-unix/N0
/usr/etc/chown $USER /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
#############

restarted xdm: kill -HUP pid-xdm (parent)

Before that:
I have created files .xinitrc; .Xdefaults in the users home
directory.

Now I am tuning settings of X and XDM.
This User Gave Thanks to goodbyespy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing CDE and openwindows

Hi, I have searched the internet and this site and cannot find a way to remove CDE from a sparc Solaris 8 machine. I could run pkgrm on the individual CDE packages but would like to know if there is a more efficient way. 2.5.1 seemed to have had an uninstall script that 8 does not. What... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blp001
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migration of binary file from Sunos 5.8 to Sunos 5.9

I have compiled binary file using "cc" on SunOS 5.8 and the same binary file i have copied to SunOS 5.9 and it is giving me core dump error.I want to know whether migration of compiled code from lower version to higer version created this problem. how can i solve this problem.I am pasting the core... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arvind Maurya
1 Replies

3. Solaris

configuring xdm on s10\open solaris

can someone hlpe me to use a X display manger to oepnsolaris I'm using 79a & have setup XMING on a windows client On the Solaris box I notice that XDM is not running, which i assume is essential for xming\client. I've read somewhere that to enable XDM i need to run gdmconfig so i've # xhost+... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevie_velvet
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OpenWindows shelltool full size...

Hi, I would like to change the size of the shelltool window when the full size is selected, by clicking on the top of the window. The issue is... I have a monitor that cannot do 1152x900 resolution format. The monitor can only do 1152x870. Also the frame buffer cannot do any other resolution.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sean_69
0 Replies

5. Solaris

OpenWindows display resolution problem

Hi all! On my SPARC mashine I have changed the screen resolution from default to: output-device screen r1024x768x75, because the OBP picture too big (e.g. Sun Logo and OBP text). Now, after the system booting I have the problem with OpenWindows picture (e.g. the window manager does not display... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the difference between XDM and Citrix

Hi all, I have remote 2Mbs connection to server. I am wondering - what is the difference (i mean - transferring data) between Citrix sessions and XDMCP? Why I can connect to server using Citrix and when clicking to open some application its opening fast, but when i am clicking to open same... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nypreH
0 Replies

7. Solaris

What is the difference between XDM and Citrix

Hi all, I have remote 2Mbs connection to server. I am wondering - what is the difference (i mean - transferring data) between Citrix sessions and XDMCP? Why I can connect to server using Citrix and when clicking to open some application its opening fast, but when i am clicking to open same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nypreH
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Boot error with SunOS 5.6 Help!

Hello, We have a SunOS 5.6 system that works as a Real Time Interface to make work an engraving machine. Today we started the computer and showed the next message: Boot device: disk:a File and args: SunOS Release 5.6 Version Generic_105181-39 Copyright (c) 1983-2003, Sun Microsystems,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hgb_flexaprint
3 Replies

9. Solaris

SunOS 4.1.4 with OpenWindows 3

Hi guys, Just wondering how I can get OpenWindows 3 window manager. I installed SunOS 4.1.4 on Qemu and when I type Openwin, I will get a purpleish interface, which I am not fond of. I'd like to have the following look and feel... OpenWindows 3 - SunOS 4.1.4 Thanks Jack (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucky7456969
2 Replies

10. Ubuntu

What does ?xdm? under the IDLE column mean?

I'd appreciate an explanation of the ?xdm? listing under the IDLE column (see below) after I ran the 'w' command in BASH. I recently used 'umask 0022' but reset it to 'umask 0000' I can't think this would have caused the ?xdm?, but as a total novice, I'd like some help. USER TTY FROM ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hal_v_1937
1 Replies
SESSREG(1)						      General Commands Manual							SESSREG(1)

NAME
sessreg - manage utmp/wtmp entries for non-init clients SYNOPSIS
sessreg [-w wtmp-file] [-u utmp-file] [-l line-name] [-h host-name] [-s slot-number] [-x Xservers-file] [-t ttys-file] [-a] [-d] user-name DESCRIPTION
Sessreg is a simple program for managing utmp/wtmp entries for xdm sessions. System V has a better interface to /etc/utmp than BSD; it dynamically allocates entries in the file, instead of writing them at fixed posi- tions indexed by position in /etc/ttys. To manage BSD-style utmp files, sessreg has two strategies. In conjunction with xdm, the -x option counts the number of lines in /etc/ttys and then adds to that the number of the line in the Xservers file which specifies the display. The display name must be specified as the "line-name" using the -l option. This sum is used as the "slot-number" in /etc/utmp that this entry will be written at. In the more gen- eral case, the -s option specifies the slot-number directly. If for some strange reason your system uses a file other that /etc/ttys to manage init, the -t option can direct sessreg to look elsewhere for a count of terminal sessions. Conversely, System V managers will not ever need to use these options (-x, -s and -t). To make the program easier to document and explain, sessreg accepts the BSD-specific flags in the System V environment and ignores them. BSD and Linux also have a host-name field in the utmp file which doesn't exist in System V. This option is also ignored by the System V version of sessreg. USAGE
In Xstartup, place a call like: sessreg -a -l $DISPLAY -x /usr/X11R6/lib/xdm/Xservers $USER and in Xreset: sessreg -d -l $DISPLAY -x /usr/X11R6/lib/xdm/Xservers $USER OPTIONS
-w wtmp-file This specifies an alternate wtmp file, instead of /usr/adm/wtmp for BSD or /etc/wtmp for sysV. The special name "none" disables writing records to /usr/adm/wtmp. -u utmp-file This specifies an alternate utmp file, instead of "/etc/utmp". The special name "none" disables writing records to /etc/utmp. -l line-name This describes the "line" name of the entry. For terminal sessions, this is the final pathname segment of the terminal device file- name (e.g. ttyd0). For X sessions, it should probably be the local display name given to the users session (e.g. :0). If none is specified, the terminal name will be determined with ttyname(3) and stripped of leading components. -h host-name This is set for BSD hosts to indicate that the session was initiated from a remote host. In typical xdm usage, this options is not used. -s slot-number Each potential session has a unique slot number in BSD systems, most are identified by the position of the line-name in the /etc/ttys file. This option overrides the default position determined with ttyslot(3). This option is inappropriate for use with xdm, the -x option is more useful. -x Xservers-file As X sessions are one-per-display, and each display is entered in this file, this options sets the slot-number to be the number of lines in the ttys-file plus the index into this file that the line-name is found. -t ttys-file This specifies an alternate file which the -x option will use to count the number of terminal sessions on a host. -a This session should be added to utmp/wtmp. -d This session should be deleted from utmp/wtmp. One of -a/-d must be specified. SEE ALSO
xdm(1) AUTHOR
Keith Packard, MIT X Consortium X Version 11 Release 6.6 SESSREG(1)