Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script to detect time drift
Operating Systems HP-UX Script to detect time drift Post 303017344 by Green_Star on Monday 14th of May 2018 01:21:52 PM
Old 05-14-2018
Thanks rbattle1 for your response.

The user wants us to create a script that runs on the UNIX HP-UX server every 10 min and check for any time drifts >+/- 50 ms. If the time drift is >+/- 50 ms then the script should trigger an email to the user.

I am not quite sure the next steps of the user once they are aware of time drifts.

After talking to couple of DBAs & googling, I understood that if the NTP service runs every 10 minutes on the server, it creates ntp.drift file every time NTP service runs. And ntp.drift contains the offset information and I can use this to calculate time in milli seconds and calculate the time drift. Is this assumption correct?

Please advise. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Thanks very much in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to detect my script is already running

I have a script which must not be run more than once at any given time. THis script will be scheduled to run every 20 mins as a cron job. In my script can i have logic to say if this script is already running from the previous cron, then exit. How do i go about doing that. If you describe the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmulchandani
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script to detect webpages from file

Hi guys I'm very new to unix and I have to create an awk script that detects webpage addresses from a file/webpage and outputs how many times each webpage was detected.e.g. if my file was: (Note: The symbol " was added to stop them being created into links) "www.google.com"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ROFL
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script to detect webpages from file

Hi guys I'm very new to unix and I have to create an awk script that detects webpage addresses from a file/webpage and outputs how many times each webpage was detected.e.g. if my file was: www.google.com www.facebook.com www.google.com the output should be: www.google.com x2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROFL
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect if script starts from queue

Dear community, what I'm try to do is deny users to run a script without parameters from command bash, but the same script should run without parameters only from crontab. Example runs by crontab:*/5 * * * * /tmp/script.sh Here the normal execution starts every 5 minutes Example #1 runs by... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to detect Hanged process in shell script?

I have to check daily 20 processes each day. The names are like Network1 Network2 Network3 ....... Network20. There is built in utility for doing this. Following is the command to check a single network process. check_process_status 1 If we want to check the status of Network2 then the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with detect with regex and move script

Hi all, I am needing some help with a script that will search for a video file by known extensions and then do a pattern search (I'm guessing via regex) and then based on a match of one type of another move the file to an assigned directory. I would like to do this with either a shell script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Simplify
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A script to detect system type

Hi forum, So I am trying to determine the OS type with the following script: #!/usr/bin/sh OStype1=`uname -s` Sunos1=SunOs if then echo "This system is Linux" exit 0 elif then echo "This system is SunOs" exit 0 elif (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dampio
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Script to detect time drift on server

Hello there, I am not an expert in networking related stuff but I got a requirement to create UNIX script to query our Company's internal time source via NTP for time drift detect and report it when > +/- 50ms. I have been googling a lot but thought to post it in this forum to get a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Green_Star
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to detect url in use in a script?

Hello, I have a small script and it runs from web application in below format: pipe:///path_to_myscript.sh url1 url2 url3 myscript.sh: #!/bin/bash count=0 while do count=$((count+1)) exec 3>&1 ((ffmpeg -i $1 ...... -f mpegts pipe:1 2>/dev/null 1>&3 ) 2>&1 | \ while read LINE; do echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
9 Replies
NTPD(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   NTPD(8)

NAME
ntpd - "Network Time Protocol daemon" SYNOPSIS
ntpd [-dnSsv] [-f file] DESCRIPTION
The ntpd daemon synchronizes the local clock to one or more remote NTP servers or local timedelta sensors. ntpd can also act as an NTP server itself, redistributing the local time. It implements the Simple Network Time Protocol version 4, as described in RFC 2030, and the Network Time Protocol version 3, as described in RFC 1305. ntpd uses the adjtime(2) system call to correct the local system time without causing time jumps. Adjustments larger than 128ms are logged using syslog(3) with LOG_INFO priority. The threshold value is chosen to avoid having local clock drift thrash the log files. Should ntpd be started with the -d option, all calls to adjtime(2) will be logged. When ntpd starts up, it reads settings from a configuration file, typically ntpd.conf(5). The options are as follows: -d Do not daemonize. If this option is specified, ntpd will run in the foreground and log to stderr. -f file Use file as the configuration file, instead of the default /etc/openntpd/ntpd.conf. -n Configtest mode. Only check the configuration file for validity. -S Do not set the time immediately at startup. This is the default. -s Set the time immediately at startup if the local clock is off by more than 180 seconds. Allows for a large time correction, elimi- nating the need to run rdate(8) before starting . -v This option allows ntpd to send DEBUG priority messages to syslog. When ntpd receives a SIGINFO signal, it will write its peer and sensor status to syslog. FILES
/etc/openntpd/ntpd.conf default ntpd configuration file /var/lib/openntpd/ntpd.drift drift file, written by ntpd periodically and used at startup to get the initial clock drift SEE ALSO
date(1), adjfreq(2), adjtime(2), ntpd.conf(5), rdate(8), timed(8) , Network Time Protocol (Version 3), March 1992. , Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) Version 4, October 1996. HISTORY
The ntpd program first appeared in OpenBSD 3.6 . $Mdocdate: November 10 2007 $ NTPD(8)