Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to create separate files but not include specific field in output Post 303017132 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 9th of May 2018 10:13:59 PM
Old 05-09-2018
Try this:

Code:
awk -F'\t' '
/^aa/{                             # if line starts with aa
   if(f) close(f)                  # close already open file
   f=sprintf($1"%d.txt",++n)       # pre increment n, and set up variable f 
}
f {                                # if file name created
   $1=""                           # blank field #1
   $0=substr($0, 2)                # strip blank #1 field
   print >f;                       # write record/row/line to file
}
' OFS='\t' file

This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to include field in the output filename of awk

Im using awk and I want the output filename to contain the first field of the input file. Ex. 1 dddd wwwww 1 eeeee wwww 1 wwww eerrrr 2 eeee eeeeee I want the output files to be xxx1 and xxx2 Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to separate a field

I have a log file that I am trying to convert. File contents something like this: aaaaa bbbbbb cccc dddddd\123 eeeee ffffffff I am trying to output the fields in a different order and separate field 4 so that the "123" and "dddddd" can be output separately. for example bbbbbb aaaaa 123... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake1988
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk to match multiple regex and create separate output files

Howdy Folks, I have a list that looks like this: (file2.txt) AAA BBB CCC DDD and there are 24 of these short words. I am matching these patterns to another file with 755795 lines (file1.txt). I have this code for matching: awk -v f2=file2.txt ' BEGIN { while(... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heecha
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and output difference, by first field using awk.

It seems like a common task, but I haven't been able to find the solution. vitallog.txt 1310,John,Hancock 13211,Steven,Mills 122,Jane,Doe 138,Thoms,Doe 1500,Micheal,May vitalinfo.txt 12122,Jane,Thomas 122,Janes,Does 123,Paul,Kite **OUTPUT** vitalfiltered.txt 12122,Jane,Thomas... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charles33
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk assign output of array to specific field-number

With this script i want to print the output to a specific field-number . Can anybody help? awk 'NR=FNR{split(FILENAME,fn,"_");nr=$2;f = $1} END{for (i=1;i<=f;i++) print i,$fn=nr}' input_5.csv input_6.csvinput_5.csv 4 135 5 185 6 85 11 30input_6.csv 1 90 3 58 4 135 7 60 8 55 10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sdf
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Parse And Create Multiple Files Based on Field Value

Hello: I am working parsing a large input file which will be broken down into multiples based on the second field in the file, in this case: STORE. The idea is to create each file with the corresponding store number, for example: Report_$STORENUM_$DATETIMESTAMP , and obtaining the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ec012
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Include pathname in awk output?

I am running an awk to verify all the memory settings for tomcat, and need to include path or directory in output .... I am running: awk '{ print $3 }' /opt/dir1/dir2/*/tomcat/bin/setenv.sh Output results: -Xms1024m -Xmx1536m -Xmx1536m -Xmx1024m -Xms1024m -Xms1024m -Xms512m -Xms1024m... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kgolli
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse field and include the text of 1 pipe in field 4

I am trying to parse the input in awk to include the |gc= in $4 but am not able to. The below is close: awk so far: awk '{sub(/\|]+]++/, ""); print }' input.txt Input chr1 955543 955763 AGRN-6|pr=2|gc=75 0 + chr1 957571 957852 AGRN-7|pr=3|gc=61.2 0 + chr1 970621 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: output lines with common field to separate files

Hi, A beginner one. my input.tab (tab-separated): h1 h2 h3 h4 h5 item1 grpA 2 3 customer1 item2 grpB 4 6 customer1 item3 grpA 5 9 customer1 item4 grpA 0 0 customer2 item5 grpA 9 1 customer2 objective: output a file for each customer ($5) with the item number ($1) only if $2 matches... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)