Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Lost original AIX DVD
Operating Systems AIX Lost original AIX DVD Post 303017108 by bakunin on Wednesday 9th of May 2018 06:29:03 AM
Old 05-09-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by spricer
At company I joined it seems I cannot trace install DVD (5765-G99 - AIX Enterprise 7.1) but according invoice I found we are entitled for it.
In this case i suggest to try to talk to a sales representative. They usually have some leeway to keep customers happy so (i am not sure what the exact legal situation is in your case) they might be able help you with a new DVD.

In general i suggest to copy every DVD with OS- or related software to your NIM server as soon as you get hold of it. Media can be lost, broken, unreadable or whatever. As soon as you have it on your software repository you can create normal backups and make sure you survive any disaster.

In general AIX packages come in two forms: installable and update. All the base level sets are installable and you need to install one of these once. Any updates can then be applied whenever it becomes available. Basically you can download update packages to 7.1 TL1, TL2, ... freely but you need the installable packages from 7.1 TL0 to install them.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

lost root password in AIX

Hi how do you reset the root password in AIX. I booted to single user mode and it asked for login and password. I have AIX 4.3. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Welfaric
4 Replies

2. AIX

DVD for AIX

:( hi all, im using AIX 5.1 UNIX for my server..my server comes with no DVD drive..for our installation we need a DVD drive to run the application...can we use notebook(window+dvd) to run DVD for AIX server. Is that possible? or we have to copy all the content in DVD to UNIX filesystem. FYI,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: riohesra
4 Replies

3. AIX

Using UDF DVD on AIX 5.3

I was trying to copy a 2.5GB mksysb onto a 5.3 lpar to add as a NIM resource. The DVD mounted fine but I could not see any files within the mount point. I thought the media was bad so I tried again with a DVD-R disk but the same thing happened. I decided to split the file up into 1024MB chunks... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: backslash
0 Replies

4. AIX

How to burn a bootable DVD on aix 5.3?

I have a mksysb backup image need burn to a DVD, then it can be used to restore OS in other machine. How to do this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
5 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

AIX APPVG - QUORUM LOST, VOLUME GROUP CLOSING

Hi, I am running AIX 5.3 TL8. After a disk failure, one of my mirrored application volumegroups went down. Unfortunately we have quorum switched on on this VG and the defective disk holds the majority. I have set MISSINGPV_VARYON to TRUE and tried a forced varyon but it's still failing. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
3 Replies

6. AIX

AIX 5.3 on p275 - DVD-ROM drive not recognized

I was having problems with the DVD-ROM drive not being recognized. I thought it was a configuration issue, but it appears to be a hardware problem. Now the system hangs at boot. This last time I tried it, it said: At which point, it hangs. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smithfarm
1 Replies

7. AIX

need help - How to mount DVD rom in AIX in Command line

Dear Friends could u pls help me on this . how to mount DVD rom in command line in aix? THanks DD (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ded325
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root password on aix lost, how to recover

Hi guys, we have "forget" the root password for 1 of our AIX machines, how can we reset it? or recover it?? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

9. AIX

aix 7.1 standard DVD

does it come with VIO and/or HACMP/PowerHA ?? :mad: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
1 Replies

10. AIX

AIX physical DVD/CD drive

Hello, I have some doubts about the dvd/cd physical on power machine and AIX. I see on my AIX lpar and see there is 1 DVD drive and its physical location bash-4.4# lsdev | grep cd0 cd0 Available 03-00-00 SATA DVD-RAM Drive bash-4.4# lscfg -vpl cd0 cd0 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phat
12 Replies
MMCFORMAT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      MMCFORMAT(8)

NAME
mmcformat -- format optical media SYNOPSIS
mmcformat [-BDFGHhIMOpRrSsw] [-b blockingnr] [-c cert-num] special DESCRIPTION
The mmcformat utility formats optical media conforming to the MMC standard. This includes CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray (BD) media. The options are as follows: -B Blank media when possible before formatting it. -b blockingnr Explicitly select packet size in sectors (for CD-RW only). It is not recommended to change this from its default of 32. -c cert-num Certify media for DVD-RAM / DV-RE. The argument cert-num specifies: 0 no certification 1 full certification 2 quick certification -D Debug mode. Print all SCSI/ATAPI command errors. -F Format media. -G Grow last CD-RW/DVD-RW session. -H Show help and print formatting choices for the inserted media. -h Show help and print formatting choices for the inserted media. -I Show help and print formatting choices for the inserted media. -M Select MRW (Mount Rainier) error correcting background format. -O Old style CD-RW formatting; recommended for CD-RW. -p Explicitly set packet format. -R Restart previously stopped MCD-MRW or DVD+RW background format. -r Recompile defect list for DVD-RAM. -S Grow spare space DVD-RAM / BD-RE. -s Format DVD+MRW / BD-RE with extra spare space. -w Wait until completion of background format. NOTES
Due to the enormous varieties in optical media, mmcformat is made as generic as possible. This can result in confusion. EXAMPLES
mmcformat -B -O /dev/rcd0d Blanks and then formats a CD-RW disc using the ``old style'' format command. It is recommended to use this ``old style'' command unless your drive reports that it's not supported; in that case, resort to the default -F. Note that a CD-RW disc can be reformatted without being blanked. Blanking switches between sequential and fixed packet writing by erasing the disc. This can also help to revive old discs. mmcformat -F -M /dev/rcd0d Format a CD-RW or a DVD+RW to use MRW (Mount Rainier). This format tries to hide media flaws as much as possible by relocation. SEE ALSO
scsictl(8) HISTORY
The mmcformat command first appeared in NetBSD 5.0. AUTHORS
Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@NetBSD.org> BUGS
mmcformat could be merged with scsictl(8) but that tool is very hard disk oriented. BSD
May 9, 2008 BSD