Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Modification of perl script to split a large file into chunks of 5000 chracters Post 303017075 by gimley on Tuesday 8th of May 2018 10:54:32 PM
Old 05-08-2018
Thanks a lot. Excuse my ignorance but how many bytes do I allocate ?
My data is in UTF8 format and if I want to ensure that 5000 characters are chunked, what would be the byte size. In ASCII format it would be just 1 but in UTF8 I find that the byte size varies.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split A Large File

Hi, I have a large file(csv format) that I need to split into 2 files. The file looks something like Original_file.txt first name, family name, address a, b, c, d, e, f, and so on for over 100,00 lines I need to create two files from this one file. The condition is i need to ensure... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbvcxzdz
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

Need to split a large data file using a Unix script

Greetings all: I am still new to Unix environment and I need help with the following requirement. I have a large sequential file sorted on a field (say store#) that is being split into several smaller files, one for each store. That means if there are 500 stores, there will be 500 files. This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SAIK
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split Large File

HI, i've to split a large file which inputs seems like : Input file name_file.txt 00001|AAAA|MAIL|DATEOFBIRTHT|....... 00001|AAAA|MAIL|DATEOFBIRTHT|....... 00002|BBBB|MAIL|DATEOFBIRTHT|....... 00002|BBBB|MAIL|DATEOFBIRTHT|....... 00003|CCCC|MAIL|DATEOFBIRTHT|.......... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AMARA
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get split output of a file, using perl script

Hi, I have file: data.log.1 ### s1 main.build.3495 main.build.199 main.build.3408 ###s2 main.build.3495 main.build.3408 main.build.199 I want to read this file and store in two arrays in Perl. I have following command, which is working fine on command prompt. perl -n -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashvini
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file into chunks of low & high byte

Hi guys, i have a question about spliting a binary file into 2 chunks. First chunk with all high bytes and the second one with all low bytes. What unix tools can i use? And how can this be performed? I looked in manpages of split and dd but this does not help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: basta
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a large file

I have a 3 GB text file that I would like to split. How can I do this? It's a giant comma-separated list of numbers. I would like to make it into about 20 files of ~100 MB each, with a custom header and footer. The file can only be split on commas, but they're plentiful. Something like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to split the text file after every 4th field

I had a text file(comma seperated values) which contains as below 196237,ram,25-May-06,ram.kiran@xyz.com,204183,Pavan,4-Jun-07,Pavan.Desai@xyz.com,237107,ram Chandra,15-Mar-10,ram.krishna@xyz.com ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a large array into small chunks

Hi, I need to split a large array "@sharedArray" into 10 small arrays. The arrays should be like @sharedArray1,@sharedArray2,@sharedArray3...so on.. Can anyone help me with the logic to do so :(:confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split large file into smaller files without disturbing the entry chunks

Dears, Need you help with the below file manipulation. I want to split the file into 8 smaller files but without cutting/disturbing the entries (meaning every small file should start with a entry and end with an empty line). It will be helpful if you can provide a one liner command for this... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamesh G
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Trying To Split a Large File

Trying to split a 35gb file into 1000mb parts. My research shows I should you this. split -b 1000m file.txt and my return is "split: cannot open 'crunch1.txt' for reading: No such file or directory" so I tried split -b 1000m Documents/Wordlists/file.txt and I get nothing other than the curser just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sub terra
3 Replies
XD(1)							      General Commands Manual							     XD(1)

NAME
xd - hex, octal, decimal, or ASCII dump SYNOPSIS
xd [ option ... ] [ -format ... ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Xd concatenates and dumps the files (standard input by default) in one or more formats. Groups of 16 bytes are printed in each of the named formats, one format per line. Each line of output is prefixed by its address (byte offset) in the input file. The first line of output for each group is zero-padded; subsequent are blank-padded. Formats other than -c are specified by pairs of characters telling size and style, by default. The sizes are 1 or b 1-byte units. 2 or w 2-byte big-endian units. 4 or l 4-byte big-endian units. 8 or v 8-byte big-endian units. The styles are o Octal. x Hexadecimal. d Decimal. Other options are -c Format as 1x but print ASCII representations or C escape sequences where possible. -astyle Print file addresses in the given style (and size 4). -u (Unbuffered) Flush the output buffer after each 16-byte sequence. -s Reverse (swab) the order of bytes in each group of 4 before printing. -r Print repeating groups of identical 16-byte sequences as the first group followed by an asterisk. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/xd.c SEE ALSO
db(1) BUGS
The various output formats don't line up properly in the output of xd. XD(1)