Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Do replace operation and awk to sum multiple columns if another column has duplicate values Post 303016863 by as7951 on Friday 4th of May 2018 11:59:13 PM
Old 05-05-2018
Hi Rudic,
I am confused and not able to complete the code for above query.
can you please help.

---------- Post updated at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:57 PM ----------

Hi Don,
it's not a home work assignment,
i am little confused here and not able to resolve above query, as it is seems complex to me
, i need your help in this.
I write multiple code but none is working.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help sum columns by break in first column with awk or sed or something.

I have some data that is something like this? item: onhand counted location ITEM0001 1 0 a1 ITEM0001 0 1 a2 ITEM0002 5 0 b5 ITEM0002 0 6 c1 I want to sum up... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: syadnom
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sum multiple columns based on column value

i have a file - it will be in sorted order on column 1 abc 0 1 abc 2 3 abc 3 5 def 1 7 def 0 1 -------- i'd like (awk maybe?) to get the results (any ideas)??? abc 5 9 def 1 8 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjoe
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace duplicate column values in a row

I have file which as 12 columns and values like this 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c,d,e b,c,a,e,f a,b,e,a,h if you see the first column has duplicate values, I need to identify (print it to console) the duplicate value (which is 'a') and also remove duplicate values like below. I could be in two... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuthalapati
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace duplicate columns with values from first occurrence

I've a text file with below values viz. multiple rows with same values in column 3, 4 and 5, which need to be considered as duplicates. For all such cases, the rows from second occurrence onwards should be modified in a way that their values in first two columns are replaced with values as in first... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asyed
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk to sum column field from duplicate row/lines

Hello, I am new to Linux environment , I working on Linux script which should send auto email based on the specific condition from log file. Below is the sample log file Name m/c usage abc xxx 10 abc xxx 20 abc xxx 5 xyz ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to sum a column based on duplicate strings in another column and show split totals

Hi, I have a similar input format- A_1 2 B_0 4 A_1 1 B_2 5 A_4 1 and looking to print in this output format with headers. can you suggest in awk?awk because i am doing some pattern matching from parent file to print column 1 of my input using awk already.Thanks! letter number_of_letters... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashob123
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum values of specific column in multiple files, considering ranges defined in another file

I have a file (let say file B) like this: File B: A1 3 5 A1 7 9 A2 2 5 A3 1 3 The first column defines a filename and the other two define a range in that specific file. In the same directory, I have also three more files (File A1, A2 and A3). Here is 10 sample lines... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bastami
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum duplicate values in text file through awk between dates

I need to sum values in text file in case duplicate row are present with same name and different value below is example of data in file i have and format i need. Data in text file 20170308 PM,U,2 PM,U,113 PM,I,123 DA,U,135 DA,I,113 DA,I,1 20170309 PM,U,2 PM,U,1 PM,I,123 PM,I,1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adfire
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to Sum columns when other column has duplicates and append one column value to another with Care

Hi Experts, Please bear with me, i need help I am learning AWk and stuck up in one issue. First point : I want to sum up column value for column 7, 9, 11,13 and column15 if rows in column 5 are duplicates.No action to be taken for rows where value in column 5 is unique. Second point : For... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: as7951
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Copy columns from one file into another and get sum of column values and row count

I have a file abc.csv, from which I need column 24(PurchaseOrder_TotalCost) to get the sum_of_amounts with date and row count into another file say output.csv abc.csv- UTF-8,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tahir_M
6 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=RFILE base size on RFILE -s, --size=SIZE set or adjust the file size by SIZE --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may be (or may be an integer optionally followed by) one of following: KB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: `+' extend by, `-' reduce by, `<' at most, `>' at least, `/' round down to multiple of, `%' round up to multiple of. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
Report truncate bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) The full documentation for truncate is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and truncate programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'truncate invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 TRUNCATE(1)