Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Recording user input from interactive shell script Post 303016608 by shoutcast on Monday 30th of April 2018 12:38:38 PM
Old 04-30-2018
Recording user input from interactive shell script

Hello, I want to start out by saying that I am fairly new to scripting and am looking for someone that can point me in the right direction.

Basically what I need is a way to run a interactive script that will prompt users with questions weather that be yes/no or a specific answer.. I want to be able to record the users input into a answer file so I can run the script unattended on another server.. I have searched and searched but I can't seem to find anything on the subject.. Is it possible? Can maybe some point me in the right direction.

Any help would be appreciated\

thanks

Steven

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to hide user inputted text for interactive unix shell script?

Hi everybody, Do you know how to hide the text for interactive unix shell script? Just like the case for inputting password during logon. Patrick (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patrickpang
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

put an interactive script in background after taking input

i am trying to find a way to put an interactive script in the background after taking input from the user a few test lines i was trying: date echo "Enter location" LOCATION= read LOCATION sleep 100 sleep 200 date for this small example i want the script to as the user for the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: epsilonaurigae
7 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Interactive / Non Interactive Shell script

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rits
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQL PLUS Command 'ACCEPT' is not waiting for user input with sh shell script

Dear All, The sqlplus 'Accept' command is not waiting for user input when I include the command within a shell script. Note: The 'Accept' command is working fine if I execute it in a SQLPLUS Prompt. Please fins the below sample script which i tried. SCRIPT: -------- #!... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Input Shell Script

Hello I am trying to create a user input shell scipt. The objective is user should enter the circuit number and the input is saved in a log file. If the user does not enter anything then the question should prompt it until the circuit no. is entered. Can any one please correct the code below.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

create an array which can store the strings from the user input in shell script

I want to create an array which can store the strings from the user input in shell script . example :- I want to store the 5 fruits name in a single array which the user provides . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pkast
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

interactive scripts with user input that includes quotes

I'm writing a basic ldapsearch script that prompts the user for their search criteria. The input they're being asked for is the search filter portion of the ldapsearch command. This string must be quoted. When the script executes the command it returns nothing. If I hard code a search filter it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donniemac
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script?

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script? The valid input is in the format like as follows. 1. It can only have r,w,x or a hyphen and nothing else. 2. ensure the r, w, x are in the correct order. for example: rwxr-xr-x is a valid format. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyeewang
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to accept user input on the fly

I want a shell script that accepts user input simultaneously when performing other tasks. Example: A shell script should echo some messages on the console and when the user presses some keys it should respond to that action. say, when user presses the key A - more information should be printed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux Console for Interactive Input Script

Hi there, How do I enter command to the interactive console. I was able to do it via the first line. What if I have more lines to input into the interactive console from line 3 onwards. Is there a more easier way? (echo -e "load openvas" ; echo -e "openvas_help") | msfconsole ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
4 Replies
PURITY(6)                                                          Games Manual                                                          PURITY(6)

NAME
purity - a general purpose purity test SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/purity [ flags ] [ testname ] DESCRIPTION
Purity is an interactive purity test program with a simple, user interface and datafile format. For each test, questions are printed to the your terminal, and you are prompted for an answer to the current question. At a prompt, these are your choices: y Answer "yes" to the question. n Answer "no" to the question. b Backup one question, if you answered it incorrectly, or someone is watching you take the test, and you don't (or do) want to admit a different answer. r Redraw the current question. q Quit the test, and print the current score. ? Print a help screen for the current prompt. k Kill a section of the test. This skips all the questions of the test until the next subject heading. a Toggle answer mode between real answers and obfuscated answers. Real answers print "yes" and "no", while obfuscated answers are "Maybe" and "maybe". Obfuscated answers are preferred if you are shy, and don't want people to be able to read your answers over your shoulder as you take the test. d Toggle dERanGe output. s Print your current score on the test you are taking. l Toggle score logging. At the end of the test, your score is printed out. For most purity tests, lower scores denote more "experience" of the test material. FLAGS
These are the command line flags for the test. -a Show real answers (i.e. "yes" and "no") instead of obfuscated ones (i.e. "Maybe" and "maybe") as you answer the questions. -d PrINt THe tESt in DerANgeD pRInT. -f Take the test in fast mode. Only the questions are printed, and not any other text blocks, like the introdution, subject headers, and the conclusion. -l Take the test without having your score logged. -p Print the test without prompting for answers. This is useful for making hard copies of the tests without having to edit out the prompts by hand. -r Decrypt the test using the Rot 13 algorithm. This is done as a form of "protection", such that if you read a rot13 test and it offends you, it's your own fault. -z zoom through more prompts in large text blocks. The default is to prompt the user for more when a screenful of text has been printed without any user input. DATAFILE FORMAT
The format of the datafiles is a very simple format, intended such that new tests can quickly and easily be converted to run with the test. There are four types of text in a purity test datafile. Each type is contained in a bracket type of punctuation. The definitions are as follows: the styles of text blocks are: { plain text block } [ subject header ] ( test question ) and < conclusion > Plain text blocks are printed out character for character. Subject headers are preceded by their subject numbers, starting at 1, and then printed as text blocks. Questions are preceded by their numbers, and then prompt the user to answer the question, keeping track of the user's current score. Conclusions first calculate and print the user's score for the test, then print out the conclusion as a text block. If you wish to include any of the various bracket punctuation in your text, the backslash ("") character will escape the next character. To print a question with parentheses, you would use the following format: (have you ever written a purity test (like this one)?) the output would be this: 1. have you ever written a purity test (like this one)? and then it would have asked the user for her/his answer. For a generic datafile, use the "sample" datafile for the test. FILES
/var/games/purity.scores the score logfile /usr/share/games/purity/* test data files AUTHOR
Eric Lechner, lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu 18 December 1989 PURITY(6)