Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Linux shell script, search by an input string Post 303016537 by RudiC on Saturday 28th of April 2018 02:31:42 PM
Old 04-28-2018
Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, with your above specification, I'm not sure what to do. Is that really a single line data file? What be the record separator? If you "search it with etext no, author name and title", why is the author missing in the sample result? And, what is that sample code supposed to do (after the syntax errors have been corrected)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search a string from list of input files

Hello, I am trying to match a string between line one and line two with in the file. But I dont want to search based on the given filename. Instead I want to search for all available files in the specific directory. Please help me on the above. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivakumarvenkat
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to parse/split input string and display the tokens

Hi, How do I parse/split lines (strings) read from a file and display the individual tokens in a shell script? Given that the length of individual lines is not constant and number of tokens in each line is also not constant. The input file could be as below: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yajaykumar
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to search a string and delete the content

Hi, I've a shell script e.g. #!/bin/bash echo "Enter the next hop id" read nhid echo "enter the IP address" read IP echo "enter the interface name" read name echo "enter the enable/disable state" read state exit 0 now from this script i want to search strings in another (.cam) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vic_mnnit
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign the Pattern Search string as Input Variable

guys, I need to know how to assing pattern matched string as an input command variable. Here it goes' My script is something like this. ./routing.sh <Server> <enable|disable> ## This Script takes an input <Server> variable from this line of the script ## echo $1 | egrep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Search for a particular String and copy the timestamp to a variable

Hi, We Perfrom Loads to the database through a Perl script which generates a statistics file. I need to read the statistics. the Statistics file looks something like below: Process Beginning - 08-26-2010-23.41.47 DB2 CONNECTION SUCCESSFUL! Ready to process and load file: FILENAME # of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveenkulkarni
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing string as a input parameter for a shell script

Hi i have a shell script which needs a string as an input parameter. How to pass the string param as an input? In command line am running the script. for e.g., a="who is a buddy?" sh sample.sh $a Inside the script i get this input param as $1 but only the value "who" is accepted... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX shell script to search a string in a file

Hi folks, I am new for shell script, I hope somebody to help me to write shell script My requirement is below steps 1. I have apache access.log i.e located in /var/log/httpd/ Ex. 127.0.0.1 - - "GET... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to search all files for every string in another file

Hello All I have a pattern.txt file in source directory ((/project/source/) in linux server and data looks like: 123abc17 234cdf19 235ifg20 I have multiple log files in log directory (/project/log/) in linux server and data for one log file looks like: <?xml version="1.0" processid... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pred55
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Search a string in a file in shell script?

I have a text file which is generated when the batch job is run. This batch may take few mins to run. When completed, the last line of the text file would be process completed. I need a shell script which will wait for this file till the process completed is printed in it, once found, it would move... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lalat
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep command in Linux in a script where the search string has a space

I have a file xyz with the following content PPPL 0123 PPPL 0006 POFT 0923 POFT 1111 WENT 2323 SEND 2345 I also have another file named MasterFile where it contains the above mentioned data million times with different digits at the end for example some times it contains SEND 9999 or WENT... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: knijjar
4 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)