Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Function to get the duration of all videos in a folder(s) Post 303016240 by RudiC on Monday 23rd of April 2018 05:39:16 AM
Old 04-23-2018
That is a variation of bash's "here documents": "here strings". This contruct evaluates the expression after the <<< and presents the result on stdin of the (here: read) command.
I don't know about exiftool nor do I have access to it, so simulated it with a cat of several files with integer numbers, trying to condense most of your script into the following three lines:
Code:
shopt -s extglob
IFS=: read DAYS HRS MIN SEC <<< $(printf "%(%j:%T)T" $(( $(cat *.@(avi|mp4|mkv) | tr '\n' '+' ) 0 )) )
echo $(( --DAYS)) $((--HRS)) $MIN $SEC
0 00 23 30

Here you have
- a here string to read the time elements from the result of printf
- a printf converting seconds to Day, Hour, Minute, and Second (using the "epoch" seconds; day and hour will start at 1 so have to be decremented for later use)
- an "extended pattern matching" for the video files in the working directory (use exiftool in lieu of cat for your purposes)
- shell "Arithmetic Expansion" $(( ... ))

The use of the extended pattern matching may be limited by sheer file count resp. file names' lengths, should they exceed the ARG_MAX or LINE_MAX system parameters...

Last edited by RudiC; 04-23-2018 at 07:33 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

duration calculation

I have a file which has 3 coloumns emp_name, Joining_date, Designation. abc 12/1/2001 SSE def 2/25/2007 SE ghi 3/18/2009 SA abc 8/1/2008 SSE def 2/13/2007 SE ghi 3/24/2005 SA I need to find out the emp who has been in the company for longest period(Till date). Can I have any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

2. Solaris

ufsdump backup duration

hi, i'm trying to figure out how to tell the amount of time a ufsdump of a directory takes. i use the below command: echo "Starting Backup of u4" >> /backup/backup.log 2>&1 /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /u4 >> /backup/backup.log 2>&1 echo "Finished Backup of u4" >> /backup/backup.log... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinoy43v3r
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get password protected URL folder using PHP fopen function

Hi everybody, Please some help over here, I`m pretty new in PHP. I have a cronrefresh php file within a website, I need this script get infornation from a URL of the site. Part of the script where $URL variable appears is: $fdURL = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM affiliSt_config WHERE name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy duration of cp

Hello forum, i would like to ask if there's a way to view the remaining time of copying files (talking about copying gigabytes) while the cp commnad is running. I'm using OpenBSD 4.9 -stable. Thanx in advance. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sepuku
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert duration of the process to seconds

Hi, I am looking to write a script to kill the process which are running for more than 7 days. So i have a command like "ps -eo pid,etime,args | grep -i xxxx" ( process which has xxx in it and running for more than 7 days needs to be killed ). When i exeucte the above command , i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forums123456
2 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

arecord not interrupted after specified duration

I have used the arecord command like this arecord -d 1 test.wav It is keep on waiting. I need to manually interrupt it by ctrl-c. Why it is not interrupting after one second? The arecord version which I am using is : arecord: version 1.0.23 by Jaroslav Kysela (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thillai_selvan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort by Duration

.......................................................................................................................... 03:40 Geonetric File from CCL Complete 03:40:59 03:41:08 00:00:09 00:00:01 N/A 005 sys_runccl ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Process duration

Hi , How can I check that for a single process, for example pagent for how much duration this process was up or down and also I need multiple entries if this process was down or up multiple times. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashish Garg
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Duration Calculation

I have 2 variables startTime='122717 23:20' endTime='122817 0:40' how can i get the elapsed duration as like "1 hour 20 minutes" ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
8 Replies
for(n)							       Tcl Built-In Commands							    for(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
for - ``For'' loop SYNOPSIS
for start test next body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
For is a looping command, similar in structure to the C for statement. The start, next, and body arguments must be Tcl command strings, and test is an expression string. The for command first invokes the Tcl interpreter to execute start. Then it repeatedly evaluates test as an expression; if the result is non-zero it invokes the Tcl interpreter on body, then invokes the Tcl interpreter on next, then repeats the loop. The command terminates when test evaluates to 0. If a continue command is invoked within body then any remaining commands in the current execution of body are skipped; processing continues by invoking the Tcl interpreter on next, then evaluating test, and so on. If a break command is invoked within body or next, then the for command will return immediately. The operation of break and continue are similar to the corresponding statements in C. For returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the for command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: for {set x 0} {$x<10} {incr x} { puts "x is $x" } SEE ALSO
break, continue, foreach, while KEYWORDS
for, iteration, looping Tcl for(n)