Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Function to get the duration of all videos in a folder(s) Post 303016235 by MadeInGermany on Monday 23rd of April 2018 04:35:18 AM
Old 04-23-2018
The classic approach is slow (run exiftool for each file) but safe:
Code:
total_folder_length=$(
  find . -maxdepth 1 -type f \( -iname '*.mkv' -o -iname '*.mp4' -o -iname '*.avi' \) |
  while IFS= read -r fname 
  do
    exiftool -n -q -p '$Duration#' "$fname"
  done |
  awk '{sum+=$0} END {print sum+0}'
)

Only -maxdepth 1 prints the start directory, so I added -type f

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 04-23-2018 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: added -type f
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

duration calculation

I have a file which has 3 coloumns emp_name, Joining_date, Designation. abc 12/1/2001 SSE def 2/25/2007 SE ghi 3/18/2009 SA abc 8/1/2008 SSE def 2/13/2007 SE ghi 3/24/2005 SA I need to find out the emp who has been in the company for longest period(Till date). Can I have any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

2. Solaris

ufsdump backup duration

hi, i'm trying to figure out how to tell the amount of time a ufsdump of a directory takes. i use the below command: echo "Starting Backup of u4" >> /backup/backup.log 2>&1 /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0n /u4 >> /backup/backup.log 2>&1 echo "Finished Backup of u4" >> /backup/backup.log... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinoy43v3r
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get password protected URL folder using PHP fopen function

Hi everybody, Please some help over here, I`m pretty new in PHP. I have a cronrefresh php file within a website, I need this script get infornation from a URL of the site. Part of the script where $URL variable appears is: $fdURL = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM affiliSt_config WHERE name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy duration of cp

Hello forum, i would like to ask if there's a way to view the remaining time of copying files (talking about copying gigabytes) while the cp commnad is running. I'm using OpenBSD 4.9 -stable. Thanx in advance. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sepuku
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert duration of the process to seconds

Hi, I am looking to write a script to kill the process which are running for more than 7 days. So i have a command like "ps -eo pid,etime,args | grep -i xxxx" ( process which has xxx in it and running for more than 7 days needs to be killed ). When i exeucte the above command , i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forums123456
2 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

arecord not interrupted after specified duration

I have used the arecord command like this arecord -d 1 test.wav It is keep on waiting. I need to manually interrupt it by ctrl-c. Why it is not interrupting after one second? The arecord version which I am using is : arecord: version 1.0.23 by Jaroslav Kysela (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thillai_selvan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort by Duration

.......................................................................................................................... 03:40 Geonetric File from CCL Complete 03:40:59 03:41:08 00:00:09 00:00:01 N/A 005 sys_runccl ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Process duration

Hi , How can I check that for a single process, for example pagent for how much duration this process was up or down and also I need multiple entries if this process was down or up multiple times. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashish Garg
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Duration Calculation

I have 2 variables startTime='122717 23:20' endTime='122817 0:40' how can i get the elapsed duration as like "1 hour 20 minutes" ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
8 Replies
NEW(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    NEW(1)

NAME
new - report on folders with new messages fnext - set current folder to next folder with new messages fprev - set current folder to previous folder with new messages unseen - scan new messages in all folders with new messages SYNOPSIS
new [sequences] [-mode mode] [-folders foldersfile] [-version] [-help] fnext is equivalent to new -mode fnext fprev is equivalent to new -mode fprev unseen is equivalent to new -mode unseen DESCRIPTION
New in its default mode produces a one-line-per-folder listing of all folders containing messages in the listed sequences or in the sequences listed in the profile entry "Unseen-Sequence". Each line contains the folder, the number of messages in the desired sequences, and the message lists from the .mh_sequences file. For example: foo 11.* 40-50 bar 380. 760-772 824-828 total 391. The `*' on foo indicates that it is the current folder. The last line shows the total number of messages in the desired sequences. New crawls the folder hierarchy recursively to find all folders, and prints them in lexicographic order. Override this behavior by provid- ing foldersfile containing the pre-sorted list of folders new should check, one per line. In fnext and fprev modes, new instead changes to the next or previous matching folder, respectively. In unseen mode, new executes scan sequences for each matching folder. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Unseen-Sequence: The name of the unseen message sequence SEE ALSO
scan(1), mh-format(5) HISTORY
Based on Luke Mewburn's new (http://www.mewburn.net/luke/src/new). MH.6.8 11 June 2012 NEW(1)