Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Difference between UNIX and Windows Disk storage Post 303016183 by Neo on Saturday 21st of April 2018 04:18:07 AM
Old 04-21-2018
Either way, "enterprise versus desktop" the core premise that "UNIX storage" is more expensive than "Windows storage" is still nonsense.

UNIX and Windows are operating systems.

On both Windows or UNIX you can use SSD, ATA, SCSI, or whatever you, the person who configures the system, desires.

Network storage versus desktop storage is the same. The OS is independent of the underlying storage choice of the system designer.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Windows on 1 hard disk

I have one hard disk on my computer ( 8 Giga-bytes) and i installed windows 98 on drive C ( I have 4 drives : C , D , E , F which drive has 2 Giga-bytes space on it ) On which drive ( from 4 drives ) I have a lot data for example : on drive D I store most of my programs which i downloaded from... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoffe_adi
7 Replies

2. AIX

how to allow Windows platform to access Unix based disk volumes

How to allow Windows platform to access Unix(AIX) based disk volumes? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Disk Storage Need to Add more Disk

Hi, Anyone can help me, just want to confirm, if possible adding a disk storage that we have a RAWDATA with +ASM in our database. If possible, what would you recommend "workaround used" from us to do and the preparation. And also how long the downtime will take. Our disk continuous to grow,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fpalero
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between windows and Unix

Hi all, can anyone share any URl or link which is about the main 20 advantages and features of unix over windows i mean i need camparison matrix between windows and any flavour of unix. thanks a lot in advance for sharing. Best Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: younusdba
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

storage disk details

Hi, We have a OEL5.7 installed and which has a storage attached on it. While running application it shows poor performance for Disk IO "dm-0" Now the question is how do I find what exactly is "dm-0" # iostat Linux 2.6.32-100.23.1.el5 03/10/2012 avg-cpu: %user %nice %system... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrshah64
9 Replies
HYPER-V(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						HYPER-V(4)

NAME
hv_storvsc -- Hyper-V Storage Virtual Service Consumer SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in the system kernel configuration file: device hyperv DESCRIPTION
The hv_storvsc driver implements the virtual store device for FreeBSD guest partitions running on Hyper-V. FreeBSD guest partitions running on Hyper-V do not have direct access to storage devices attached to the Hyper-V server. Although a FreeBSD guest can access storage devices using Hyper-V's full emulation mode, the performance in this mode tends to be unsatisfactory. To counter the above issues, the hv_storvsc driver implements a storage Virtual Service Consumer (VSC) that relays storage requests from the guest partition to the storage Virtual Service Provider (VSP) hosted in the root partition using the high performance data exchange infra- structure provided by hv_vmbus(4) driver. The VSP in the root partition then forwards the storage related requests to the physical storage device. This driver functions by presenting a SCSI HBA interface to the Comman Access Method (CAM) layer. CAM control blocks (CCBs) are converted into VSCSI protocol messages which are delivered to the root partition VSP over the Hyper-V VMBus. SEE ALSO
hv_ata_pci_disengage(4), hv_netvsc(4), hv_utils(4), hv_vmbus(4) HISTORY
Support for hv_storvsc first appeared in FreeBSD 10.0. The driver was developed through a joint effort between Citrix Incorporated, Micro- soft Corporation, and Network Appliance Incorporated. AUTHORS
FreeBSD support for hv_storvsc was first added by Microsoft BSD Integration Services Team <bsdic@microsoft.com>. BSD
September 10, 2013 BSD