Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to list and move files with spaces and wildcard? Post 303015951 by RudiC on Tuesday 17th of April 2018 03:12:08 AM
Old 04-17-2018
The mv command can't tell spaces in file names from spaces used as separators between files, so you have to escape the former by either prefixing each with a \ or by enclosing the entire file name in quotes. An alternative solution would be to mv every single file by itself, like
Code:
{
read
while IFS=, read v_dirpath v_filename v_arch_dir
   do    echo "Processing Dir is: ${v_dirpath}"
         echo "Processing File is: ${v_filename}"
         echo "Archive Directory is: ${v_arch_dir}"
         ls -tp ${v_filename} |
           while read FN
             do    echo mv $FN ${v_arch_dir}
             done
   done 
 } < ${REF_DIR}/${CNTRL_FILE}

As you can see, the unnecessary variable assignments can be avoided by reading the variables from the input file using the correct input field separator (IFS=,). The header line is skipped by the first read outside the loop. The echo in the second while loop is for control / debugging - remove it if happy with the output.

Notabene, the variable v_ProcessingFile is unset and thus empty in above sample code.

Give it a try and report back.

Last edited by RudiC; 04-17-2018 at 04:19 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcard for spaces

I want to do a search and replace in a file but there may or may not be one space, two or none. i.e.: test&nbsp;3,1 test&nbsp;&nbsp; 3,1 test,3,1 test&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3,1 The output I will be looking for is this: test&nbsp;3,2 test&nbsp;&nbsp;3,2 test,3,2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shakey21
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

move files using wildcard

I have the following requirement. PATHA =/opr/itr/ PATHB=/etc/data/ FILENAME=*abc* file name is wild carded as there could be many files with name abc anywhere I tried mv $PATHA/$FILENAME $PATHB and I got a error that /etc/data/ can not be created Could any one please help. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onlyjayaram
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fastest way to list a file in a folder containing 800,000 files using wildcard

Hi, I have a directory with possibly around 800,000 files in it. What is the fastest way to list file(s) in this directory with a wildcard. for example would ls -1 *.abcdefg.Z or find . -name "*.abcdefg.Z" be the fastest way to find all of the files that end with .abcdefg.Z... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to move and rename a list of files

Hi, I need to do something easy but I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Let's say I have 6 files in the directory below: /ebsbeta_f/flash/EBSUATQB/onlinelog o1_mf_6_55klt7nr_.log o1_mf_3_55klskj4_.log o1_mf_4_55klsrl1_.log o1_mf_5_55klt09p_.log o1_mf_2_55klv1ts_.log... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: exm
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with spaces in filename

I have a text file containing files in a directory structure i.e. /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/datav_aug03 /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/comb8121sep02n /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/datav_feb04_ons /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/corpsick_jun06 /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/jcpjoiners200507... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_crosby
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List of files with spaces

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to list the file with spaces? Like I want to "ls" only the 2008 files. 2008 _overview102.jpg 2008 _overview103.jpg 2008 _overview106.jpg 2008 _overview677.jpg 2008 _overview680.jpg 2008 _overview110.jpg 2008 _overview682.jpg 2009 _overview4373.jpg 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fspalero
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files in a list to another directory

I have a number of files in a directory that can be grouped with something like "ls | grep SH2". I would like to move each file in this list to another directory. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kg6iia
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find a list of files in directory, move to new, allow duplicates

Greetings. I know enough Unix to be dangerous (!) and know that there is a clever way to do the following and it will save me about a day of agony (this time) and I will use it forever after! (many days of agony saved in the future)! Basically I need to find any image files (JPGs, PSDs etc)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Clyde Lovett
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expanding a list of wildcard filenames with spaces

I think I must be missing something obvious but I have a file containing a list of files and paths, some with wildcard, others with spaces. e.g. /this/is/a/file /this/is/a/directory/ /this/is/a/collection/* /this/has spaces/in/it /this/had spaces/and/list/of/files*... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mij
6 Replies
line(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   line(1)

NAME
line - Reads one line from standard input SYNOPSIS
line STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: line: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None DESCRIPTION
The line command copies one line, up to and including a newline, from standard input and writes it to standard output. Use this command within a shell command file to read from your terminal. The line command always writes at least a newline character. NOTES
The line utility has no internationalization features and is marked LEGACY in XCU Issue 5. Use the read utility instead. EXIT STATUS
Success. End-of-File. EXAMPLES
To read a line from the keyboard and append it to a file, enter: echo 'Enter comments for the log:' echo ': c' line >>log This shell procedure displays the message: Enter comments for the log: It then reads a line of text from the keyboard and adds it to the end of the file log. The echo ': c' command displays a : (colon) prompt. See the echo command for information about the c escape sequence. SEE ALSO
Commands: echo(1), ksh(1), read(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: read(2) Standards: standards(5) line(1)