Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting a Date value based on day Post 303015845 by Yoda on Friday 13th of April 2018 10:15:47 PM
Old 04-13-2018
If you have python installed, here is an approach:-
Code:
import datetime

def previous_weekday(day, weekday):
        days_behind = weekday - day.weekday()
        if days_behind >= 0:
                days_behind -= 7
        return day + datetime.timedelta(days_behind)

files = ['FILE_NAME_20180413','FILE_NAME_20180404','FILE_NAME_20180410']

for file in files:
        day = datetime.date(int(file[10:-4]), int(file[14:-2]), int(file[16:]))

# 0 - Monday, 1 - Tuesday ...
        if day.weekday() == 1:
                print(file, day.strftime("%Y%m%d"))
        else:
                prev_tuesday = previous_weekday(day, 1)
                print(file, prev_tuesday.strftime("%Y%m%d"))

Produces output:-
Code:
('FILE_NAME_20180413', '20180410')
('FILE_NAME_20180404', '20180403')
('FILE_NAME_20180410', '20180410')

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting day from a date...

Hi, I have a date input in MMDDYYYY format.. I have to give the day (whether that DD is sunday/monday...) Is there any command for it... Or do I have to write a script for that... Thanks in Advance Yeheya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yeheyaansari
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add a day to a given date

Hi, I have a date field which is a variable field being passed to the script from outside. I need to know how i can add 1 day to it. I have seen example of date subtraction but while adding each time date reaches 31 or 30 i have to put if else condition. Or for leap year also. Kindly let... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallet
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date - 1 day

Hi, I have been trying just about every unix command to come up with yesterday's date (today's date - 1). I have seen all of the help on this forum, and none of it seems to work for me here. We are using Sun Solaris 9 Unix. I am using this script to create a .txt file with ftp commands that I will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sfedak
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

value of variable based on time of the day

i would need some help in setting the value of a variable (TIME_NOW) depending on the time of the day ...e.g. if today's date is 12th April 2009 and if the current time is between midnight and 16:59:59 hrs then the TIME_NOW should be yesterday's date i.e. TIME_NOW=11 else if the current time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zainravi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to obtain date and day of the week from `date` command

Hi, does anybody know how to format `date` command correctly to return the day of the week? Thanks -A I work in ksh.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting date -1 day not using GNU date

It's easy as pie to get the date minus one day on opensolaris: date -d "-1 day" +"%Y%m%d"run this command on our crappy Solaris 10 machines however (which I'm guessing doesn't have GNU date running on it) and you get: date: illegal option -- d date: illegal option -- 1 date: illegal option --... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the previous day date and creating a file with date

Hi guys, I had a scenario... 1. I had to get the previous days date in yyyymmdd format 2. i had to create a file with Date inthe format yyyymmdd.txt format both are different thanks guys in advance.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apple2685
4 Replies

8. AIX

Need to get the next day's date of the user entered date

I need to get the next day's date of the user entered date for example: Enter date (yyyy/mm/yy): 2013/10/08I need to get the next day's date of the user entered date Desired Output: 2013/10/09Though there are ways to achieve this is Linux or Unix environment (date command) ,I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpm120
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Condition based on Timestamp (Date/Time based) from logfile (Epoch seconds)

Below is the sample logfile: Userids Date Time acb Checkout time: 2013-11-20 17:00 axy Checkout time: 2013-11-22 12:00 der Checkout time: 2013-11-17 17:00 xyz Checkout time: 2013-11-19 16:00 ddd Checkout time: 2013-11-21 16:00 aaa Checkout... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace date in file every day with current date

I Have text like XXX_20190908.csv.gz need to replace Only date in this format with current date every day Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yamasani1991
1 Replies
datetime(3)						     Library Functions Manual						       datetime(3)

NAME
datetime - convert between TAI labels and seconds SYNTAX
#include <datetime.h> void datetime_tai(&dt,t); datetime_sec datetime_untai(&dt); struct datetime dt; datetime_sec t; DESCRIPTION
International Atomic Time, TAI, is the fundamental unit for time measurements. TAI has one label for every second of real time, without complications such as leap seconds. A struct datetime variable, such as dt, stores a TAI label. dt.year is the year number minus 1900; dt.mon is the month number, from 0 (January) through 11 (December); dt.mday is the day of the month, from 1 through 31; dt.hour is the hour, from 0 through 23; dt.min is the minute, from 0 through 59; dt.sec is the second, from 0 through 59; dt.wday is the day of the week, from 0 (Sunday) through 6 (Saturday); dt.yday is the day of the year, from 0 through 365. The datetime library supports more convenient TAI manipulation with the datetime_sec type. A datetime_sec value, such as t, is an integer referring to the tth second after the beginning of 1970 TAI. The first second of 1970 TAI was 0; the next second was 1; the last second of 1969 TAI was -1. The difference between two datetime_sec values is a number of real-time seconds. datetime_tai converts a datetime_sec to a TAI label. datetime_untai reads a TAI label (specifically dt.year, dt.mon, dt.mday, dt.hour, dt.min, and dt.sec) and returns a datetime_sec. SEE ALSO
now(3) datetime(3)