Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell commands and ps and server logs Post 303015843 by cptkirkh on Friday 13th of April 2018 05:00:25 PM
Old 04-13-2018
Shell commands and ps and server logs

Good afternoon all!! I am writing a shell script that will generate a random phrase to be used as a password.

this is the line I use to generate the password
Code:
echo `head -n 10 /dev/urandom | tr -cd "[:alnum:]*+,-/:;<=>?_" | cut -c '1-'$3`

The third input in the command is the length of the password i want to use.

What I do next is login to a Oracle DB and change a user accounts password using what was generated. I would prefer that password nor its generation of it be discover via ps or anything like that. My question is what gets captured by the server in the /proc/PID/ folders or any server logs? Is there a way to work around any of that being captured? Thanks.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 04-13-2018 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Added CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to view logs of a server

Please share a shell script to collect logs of a server (like cpu utilization, memory etc) for a perticular time interval by giving date, time and server name as input. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhishek27
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can BASH execute commands on a remote server when the commands are embedded in shell

I want to log into a remote server transfer over a new config and then backup the existing config, replace with the new config. I am not sure if I can do this with BASH scripting. I have set up password less login by adding my public key to authorized_keys file, it works. I am a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Server Logs - Samba and Netatalk

I have installed a linux file server and it works great. At my location we have a mix of Mac & Windows systems. Netatalk and Samba are setup on the server. The problem is recently someone has deleted file or files haven't been put on the server properly. Two different departments are pointing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: odysseus1977
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Sending all apache logs to Syslog Server

Hi All, I need to send all apache logs to local syslog and then to syslog server (STRM – Security Threat response manager). I follow these steps:- vi /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf Added these lines :- ErrorLog syslog:local1 LogLevel notice Then in syslog.conf:- local1.crit... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidhurana
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Login and logout logs in server

Hi, Can you please let me know how can and where we will find the logs. ie,which user is login and logout from server and by using which ip address they accessed server. please let me know the steps and folder, file names to trace the logs from server . we are using System = SunOS 5.10. Please... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kancherla.sree
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logs of commands performed by users

Hi, when 2 users are logged as root , how can i find witch one had perform witch command? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for viewing multiple logs from multiple server

I am new to Shell scripting and below is my requirement. I need to search some specific word e.g. "exception" or "transaction" from log file. We have multiple env e.g. Level1 , Level2 etc and each env have Multiple boxes e.g. For Level 1 env we have "test11.test.com" , "test12.test.com". Each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peeyush
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Comprehensive Disk & Server Logs.

Hello All, I'm using a RHEL6.4 on IBM X3850 X5 server. I want to get a comprehensive report containing disk-wise health status as well as overall server status. I see there's utility "ibm_utl_dsa_dsytd3h-9.51_portable_rhel6_x86-64.bin" which is also used to do diagnostics tasks. I'm not sure of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavvsk
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to keep server out of logs?

Hi, there you may read some anonymous services like VPN service dont keep logs of their members activity. So i want to ask how i can make my personal linux servers be without any logs of accessing IPs, hostnames. I know there is "/var/log/lastlog", but are there any other files in default... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
2 Replies

10. Open Source

Shell script file movement to a Mail Box server using ftp commands

Hi All, I have a current Process that runs "windows script " for the file movement that needs to changed to a "DataStage Process (Using shell script )" Source :Text file is getting generated as part of Datastage Jobs processes and resides in a shared drive (Unix server) Target :ftp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: developer.dwh9
2 Replies
NWAUTH(1)							      nwauth								 NWAUTH(1)

NAME
nwauth - Verify username/password SYNOPSIS
nwauth [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -D ] DESCRIPTION
nwauth does nothing but logging into a NetWare server. If the login was successful, an error code of 0 is returned. If the login was not successful, an error code of 1 is returned. It was designed for use by other programs who want authenticate users via a NetWare server. If there is no -P or -n option specified on command line, nwauth always expects a password on stdin. If the stdin is a tty, then the user is prompted for a password. Otherwise nwauth simply reads stdin for a password. nwauth looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server and a user name if they are not specified on command line. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of .nwclient MUST be 600, for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user name If the user name your NetWare administrator gave to you differs from your unix user-id, you should use -U to tell the server about your NetWare user name. -D nwauth says that your password is correct if you have existing connection to server with name user name. This is handy for some shell scripts, but it is unacceptable for authorization modules, such as PAM, PHP or Apache. It was pointed to me that this behavior was not well known, and there exist at least one PAM module which does not know that (this module is not part of ncpfs; you should use PAM mod- ule which comes with ncpfs instead anyway). SEE ALSO
nwclient(5) CREDITS
nwauth was written by Volker Lendecke (lendecke@math.uni-goettingen.de) nwauth 10/27/1996 NWAUTH(1)