Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Joining especific lines in "2n" lines file Post 303015793 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 12th of April 2018 10:35:36 AM
Old 04-12-2018
Or can it be paste?
Code:
paste - - < file

--
Note: \t in the replacement part of the "s" command is GNU sed only. For regular sed use actual TAB characters (CTRL-V TAB).

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 04-12-2018 at 11:41 AM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading lines from a file, using bash, "at" command

Hi. I have the script shown below. If I execute it form the command line it seems to work properly, but when I fun it using the unix "at" command "at -m now < ./kill-at-job.sh" It appears to hang. Below is the script, the input file, and the execution as reported in the e-mail from the "at"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbsimon000
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to parse file "x" lines at a time ... awk array?

I have files that store multiple data points for the same device "vertically" and include multiple devices. It repeats a consistant pattern of lines where for each line: Column 1 is a common number for the entire file and all devices in that file Column 2 is a unique device number Column 3 is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: STN
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove ":" and join lines in outline file

I have a vim outliner file like this: Title title 2 :Testing now :testing 2 :testing 3 title 3 :testing :ttt :ttg Is there a way to use a script or command to remove... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jostber
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat Command on File not printing "Blank" Lines?

Hello All, I have a bash script and in it at some point I call an Expect Script that does some stuff and saves its output in a ".txt" file. Example "/path/to/my/file/Expect_Output.txt" file: notice the 2nd line is empty in the file... Data for Host-1 (192.168.1.110) Checking the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete till ">" is found in all lines in a file

Hi, I have a file which has lines like these : I want to trim everything from the left till ">" such that the file looks like : If you have any ideas how to do this in 1-2 commands please help. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinpeak
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cant get awk 1liner to remove duplicate lines from Delimited file, get "event not found" error..help

Hi, I am on a Solaris8 machine If someone can help me with adjusting this awk 1 liner (turning it into a real awkscript) to get by this "event not found error" ...or Present Perl solution code that works for Perl5.8 in the csh shell ...that would be great. ****************** ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy b
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter file by length, looking only at lines that don't begin with ">"

I have a file that stores data in pairs of lines, following this format: line 1: header (preceded by ">") line 2: sequence Example.txt: >seq1 name GATTGATGTTTGAGTTTTGGTTTTT >seq2 name TTTTCTTC I want to filter out the sequences and corresponding headers for all sequences that are less... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with "A" then change "E" to "X" same line

I have a bunch of random character lines like ABCEDFG. I want to find all lines with "A" and then change any "E" to "X" in the same line. ALL lines with "A" will have an "X" somewhere in it. I have tried sed awk and vi editor. I get close, not quite there. I know someone has already solved this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightwatchrenba
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep all lines with the string "TNS-" but skip those with "TNS-12514"

Platform: Oracle Linux 6.3 From a log file, I want to grep all lines with the pattern "TNS-" but I want to skip those with the pattern "TNS-12514" . How can I do this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep : Filter/Move All The Lines Containing Not More Than One "X" Character Into A Text File

Hi All It's me again with another huge txt files. :confused: What I have: - I have 33 huge txt files in a folder. - I have thousands of line in this txt file which contain many the letter "x" in them. - Some of them have more than one "x" character in the line. What I want to achieve:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
8 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)