Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers sed or awk Replacement/Addition Post 303015721 by tech_frk on Tuesday 10th of April 2018 10:35:45 PM
Old 04-10-2018
sed or awk Replacement/Addition

Hi,

I have a big text file with similar data as below and need the text as in output
using awk or sed. any help is greatly appreciated.

Input:
Code:
City=Chicago Elden street 
 >>> reservedBy = business 1
 >>> reservedBy = business 2
 >>> reservedBy = business 3
City=Dallas Elm street 
 >>> reservedBy = business 1
 >>> reservedBy = business 2
 >>> reservedBy = business 3

Output:
Code:
City=Chicago Elden street
Chicago  >>> reservedBy = business 1
Chicago  >>> reservedBy = business 2
Chicago  >>> reservedBy = business 3
City=Dallas Elden street
Dallas  >>> reservedBy = business 1
Dallas  >>> reservedBy = business 2
Dallas  >>> reservedBy = business 3

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE (not HTML) tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 04-11-2018 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: Changed HTML to CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacement using sed

Hi I have the following file that i need to run a sed command on 1<tab>running 2<tab>running 3<tab>running 4<tab>running I want to be able to replace a line i.e the second one with '2<tab>failed'. As the first number is unique that can be used to search for the relevant line (using ^2 i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk/Sed One liner for text replacement

Hi group, I want to replace the occurance of a particular text in a paragraph.I tried with Sed,but Sed only displays the result on the screen.How can i update the changes in the original file??? The solution should be a one liner using awk and sed. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishnu.bhatta
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional tab replacement sed/awk

Hi I am struggling to find a solutions to this problem: I have a directory full of files and I wish to: read each line of each file and if any one line in those files is longer than 72 characters I want to replace any tab characters with a space character. Ive been... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benackland
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed replacement

This seems like it should be an easy problem, but I'm a noob and I can't figure it out. I'm trying to use sed, but would be happy to use anything that does the job. I am trying to trim off a fixed number of unknown characters from 2 different : delimited fields while keeping the intervening... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: helix_w
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED replacement

Hi, i have a file with lines, file.txt ------- test is fun testing is better I need to replace 'test' to 'develop' and i used, a=test b=develop sed "s,$a,$b,g" -------- but i see the word 'testing' is also replaced. Need some solution. Is there any way i could replace only 'test' ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk addition

How would I print out the total amount through awk? I tried using print "Total Amount: " $4+$4; Would I have to do a for loop to get through everything? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boltftw
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK conditional addition

I have a column of numbers $2, I would like to add 360 to all numbers that are negative. This method seems a bit convoluted, and does not work (outputs 0): BEGIN { A=sprintf("%d", $2); if(A<0) A=A+360; BIN++; } END { for(A in BIN) print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text replacement with awk or sed?

Hi guys, I worked for almost a half-day for the replacement of some text automatically with script. But no success. The problem is I have hundred of files, which need to be replaced with some new text. It's a painful work to work manually and it's so easy to do it wrong. For example, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solution for replacement of 4th column with 3rd column in a file using awk/sed preserving delimters

input "A","B","C,D","E","F" "S","T","U,V","W","X" "AA","BB","CC,DD","EEEE","FFF" required output: "A","B","C,D","C,D","F" "S", T","U,V","U,V","X" "AA","BB","CC,DD","CC,DD","FFF" tried using awk but double quotes not preserving for every field. any help to solve this is much... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khblts
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Replacement in a Text File in one operation (sed/awk) ?

Hi all, Saying we have two files: 1. A "Reference File" whose content is "Variable Name": "Variable Value" 2. A "Model File" whose content is a model program in which I want to substitute "VariableName" with their respective value to produce a third file "Program File" which would be a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)