Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to call exeute multiple bash shells from one master shell? Post 303015718 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 10th of April 2018 04:18:46 PM
Old 04-10-2018
In it's simplest form you would put one script after the other, it's best to use full paths to avoid the script failing if you aren't in the correct directory eg:

master_shell.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh

/usr/local/bin/shell1.sh
/usr/local/bin/shell2.sh
/usr/local/bin/shell3.sh

However typically you would want to check the exit status of each script and take appropriate action if this fails perhaps something like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

/usr/local/bin/shell1.sh
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
     echo "Shell1.sh failed exit status was: $?" >&2
     echo "script terminated" >&2
     exit 1
fi

/usr/local/bin/shell2.sh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

BSD, Bash and Shells?

When I use Mac OS X's Terminal the UI is some what easier than that of Linux... I this just a shell or something because using Bash is a pain in RH's Linux 9. It's so sensitive about case etc. ??? In that way what is the shell that OS X uses as it's default Bash is on OS X (OK Duh) and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedVenim
3 Replies

2. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Difference between ksh,bash and different shells.

Hello Everyone, Can someone please tell me the key difference between the different shells availabe i.e. ksh,bash,(i don't know the others ones. :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to call multiple java commands

Hi, I want to call multiple java commands through a .sh file. I have drafted one with my least knowledge. But its not working. Pls help. I am trying to run this from Sun Solaris (OS 5.10) server with 10g oracle database. echo \* starting script AUTORUN echo \* get the Monitor path... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekdn
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interacting with two BASH shells

Hi. I'm working with two BASH shells in order to perform two tasks. For simplicity, suppose that at Shell #1 I'm executing this program: sleep 100 whose PID is 263. Meanwhile Shell #2 is waiting for its termination to follow with a second one. I tried with: wait 263 # Script for second... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hresquivelo
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shells communication

Hello all, I have the following problem. In a Bash shell I run a program (I don't have the source code) which will execute some steps. At every step the program will wait for a user input. So I would like that another script which is running on a different shell will send these input togheter with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alohisius
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call multiple variables in bash !!

Hi all , I have a file with below data , bash#cat file.txt user1 amount1 status1 user2 amount2 status2 user3 amount3 status3 user4 amount4 status4 . . . Now i have a command to be executed with above values like below , ./errorcheck -u user1 -a amount1 -s status1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnanasekar_beem
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - How to call different scripts from master scripts based on a column in an Oracle table

Dear Members, I have a table REQUESTS in Oracle which has an attribute REQUEST_ACTION. The entries in REQUEST_ACTION are like, ME, MD, ND, NE etc. I would like to create a script which will will call other scripts based on the request action. Can we directly read from the REQUEST_ACTION... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
2 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How can I replicate master master and master master MySQL databse replication and HA?

I have an application desigend in PHP and MySQl running on apache web server that I is running on a Amazon EC2 server Centos. I want to implement the master-master and master slave replication and high availability disaster recovery on this application database. For this I have created two... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Palak Sharma
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call Oracle function with multiple arguments from shell script?

Dear All, I want to know how can i call oracle function from shell script code . My oracle function have around 5 input parameters and one return value. for name in *.csv; do echo "connecting to DB and start processing '$name' file at " echo "csv file name=$x" sqlplus -s scoot/tiger <!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balraj
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use scl enable python command call with in bash shell script?

I have a bash shell script, within it i am using the below two commands . its failing right on scl enable command itself. if i run it by itself without a shell, it works fine. by default it is using pythin version 2.6 something. i want to use 3.4 version for that reason with in the shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cplusplus1
3 Replies
FLOCK(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          FLOCK(1)

NAME
flock - manage locks from shell scripts SYNOPSIS
flock [options] file|directory command [arguments] flock [options] file|directory -c command flock [options] number DESCRIPTION
This utility manages flock(2) locks from within shell scripts or from the command line. The first and second of the above forms wrap the lock around the execution of a command, in a manner similar to su(1) or newgrp(1). They lock a specified file or directory, which is created (assuming appropriate permissions) if it does not already exist. By default, if the lock cannot be immediately acquired, flock waits until the lock is available. The third form uses an open file by its file descriptor number. See the examples below for how that can be used. OPTIONS
-c, --command command Pass a single command, without arguments, to the shell with -c. -E, --conflict-exit-code number The exit code used when the -n option is in use, and the conflicting lock exists, or the -w option is in use, and the timeout is reached. The default value is 1. -F, --no-fork Do not fork before executing command. Upon execution the flock process is replaced by command which continues to hold the lock. This option is incompatible with --close as there would otherwise be nothing left to hold the lock. -e, -x, --exclusive Obtain an exclusive lock, sometimes called a write lock. This is the default. -n, --nb, --nonblock Fail rather than wait if the lock cannot be immediately acquired. See the -E option for the exit code used. -o, --close Close the file descriptor on which the lock is held before executing command. This is useful if command spawns a child process which should not be holding the lock. -s, --shared Obtain a shared lock, sometimes called a read lock. -u, --unlock Drop a lock. This is usually not required, since a lock is automatically dropped when the file is closed. However, it may be required in special cases, for example if the enclosed command group may have forked a background process which should not be hold- ing the lock. -w, --wait, --timeout seconds Fail if the lock cannot be acquired within seconds. Decimal fractional values are allowed. See the -E option for the exit code used. The zero number of seconds is interpreted as --nonblock. --verbose Report how long it took to acquire the lock, or why the lock could not be obtained. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
shell1> flock /tmp -c cat shell2> flock -w .007 /tmp -c echo; /bin/echo $? Set exclusive lock to directory /tmp and the second command will fail. shell1> flock -s /tmp -c cat shell2> flock -s -w .007 /tmp -c echo; /bin/echo $? Set shared lock to directory /tmp and the second command will not fail. Notice that attempting to get exclusive lock with second command would fail. shell> flock -x local-lock-file echo 'a b c' Grab the exclusive lock "local-lock-file" before running echo with 'a b c'. ( flock -n 9 || exit 1 # ... commands executed under lock ... ) 9>/var/lock/mylockfile The form is convenient inside shell scripts. The mode used to open the file doesn't matter to flock; using > or >> allows the lock- file to be created if it does not already exist, however, write permission is required. Using < requires that the file already exists but only read permission is required. [ "${FLOCKER}" != "$0" ] && exec env FLOCKER="$0" flock -en "$0" "$0" "$@" || : This is useful boilerplate code for shell scripts. Put it at the top of the shell script you want to lock and it'll automatically lock itself on the first run. If the env var $FLOCKER is not set to the shell script that is being run, then execute flock and grab an exclusive non-blocking lock (using the script itself as the lock file) before re-execing itself with the right arguments. It also sets the FLOCKER env var to the right value so it doesn't run again. EXIT STATUS
The command uses sysexits.h return values for everything, except when using either of the options -n or -w which report a failure to acquire the lock with a return value given by the -E option, or 1 by default. When using the command variant, and executing the child worked, then the exit status is that of the child command. AUTHOR
H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2006 H. Peter Anvin. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
flock(2) AVAILABILITY
The flock command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux July 2014 FLOCK(1)