Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to enable ping?a litte complex Post 303015703 by stomp on Tuesday 10th of April 2018 12:41:01 PM
Old 04-10-2018
Ok. That'll help you a lot.

If you look at your table...

... what rules would you assume relevant for the failed ping?
... what rule, do you assume, matches for your icmp-packages(inbound and outbound)?

And last but not least, what do you think the following of your rules does accomplish?
Code:
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

You will be suprised, what you have created. Very rare. ;-)

Hint: Look at the counters!

Last edited by stomp; 04-10-2018 at 01:48 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to stomp For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

enable log

dear all i want to enable the below logs can you help me /var/adm/xferlog /var/spool/uucp/.Admin thanx you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: murad.jaber
0 Replies

2. Linux

How to enable Hibernate

Hi, I want to enable hibernate in my machine. when i click hibernate option, it is throwing message that hibernate is not enabled in kernel. earlier, i was hibernating in the same machine with windows os. any idea ? Thx in advance. Siva (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
0 Replies

3. AIX

How to enable XDMCP?

Hello everyone, I installed AIX the other day (several times!) but I can't get XDMCP to work. I remember from when I installed it the last time it worked out of the box. So why doesn't it work now? This is the error message I get: XDMCP fatal error: Session failed Session 2 failed for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kotzkroete
3 Replies

4. AIX

Enable SMT

How to enable SMT in aix 5.2 ml 9? If i run smtctl it gives error ksh: smtctl: not found. please tell me if SMT is supported in 5.2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get reason for ping failure using perls Net::Ping->new("icmp");?

Hi I am using perl to ping a list of nodes - with script below : $p = Net::Ping->new("icmp"); if ($p->ping($host,1)){ print "$host is alive.\n"; } else { print "$host is unreacheable.\n"; } $p->close();... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tavanagh
4 Replies

7. SCO

Auditing: how to enable?

edit: solution found Auditing Quick Start and Compatibility Notes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Enable lpfc changes!

Hi Folks! I am writing a script which changes lpfc.conf if there it has been setup on RHEL BOXes, do I need to put dracut -f for enabling it? I am not sure, Can someone help! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
6 Replies

9. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies

10. Linux

Please: a litte help to crosscompile.

I have installed the "mipsel tuxbox" compile suite for crosscompile Host system is x86_64 slackware destination is mipsel32bit "vuduo+" For example,I want to compile a program, I use this script make clean export TOOLCHAIN=/opt/mipsel-tuxbox-linux-gnu export... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
0 Replies
NETWORKS(5)                                                 Linux System Administration                                                NETWORKS(5)

NAME
networks - network name information DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/networks is a plain ASCII file that describes known DARPA networks and symbolic names for these networks. Each line repre- sents a network and has the following structure: name number aliases ... where the fields are delimited by spaces or tabs. Empty lines are ignored. The hash character (#) indicates the start of a comment: this character, and the remaining characters up to the end of the current line, are ignored by library functions that process the file. The field descriptions are: name The symbolic name for the network. Network names can contain any printable characters except white-space characters or the comment character. number The official number for this network in numbers-and-dots notation (see inet(3)). The trailing ".0" (for the host component of the network address) may be omitted. aliases Optional aliases for the network. This file is read by the route(8) and netstat(8) utilities. Only Class A, B or C networks are supported, partitioned networks (i.e., net- work/26 or network/28) are not supported by this facility. FILES
/etc/networks The networks definition file. SEE ALSO
getnetbyaddr(3), getnetbyname(3), getnetent(3), netstat(8), route(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
/Linux 2008-09-04 NETWORKS(5)