Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Combining lines in one line
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Combining lines in one line Post 303015506 by MadeInGermany on Friday 6th of April 2018 03:33:35 AM
Old 04-06-2018
A \n an embedded newline character (not two consecutive characters \ and n).
sed loops over the lines in the input file, so the sed code only has one line in its "pattern space".
The \n character is only created after an append command like N or H or G or a.
Normally an RE can handle only one line, and ^ and $ mark the beginning and end of the line.
For example a line
Code:
line1

The RE can see
Code:
^line1$

After an append there is a \n between the two lines, like this
Code:
line1\nline2

An RE can see it like
Code:
^line1\nline2$

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 04-06-2018 at 04:41 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help appending lines/combining lines within a file...

Is there a way to combine two lines onto a single line...append the following line onto the previous line? I have the following file that contains some blank lines and some lines I would like to append to the previous line... current file: checking dsk c19t2d6 checking dsk c19t2d7 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining lines between two specific lines

Hi, I have a requirement like following: I have input file like: Question: 1 ----Multiple choice--- What is your favourite colour? Options: a) red b) blue c) none of these Question: 2 ---Multiple choice----- In which month did you join your first job? Options: a) Jan b) Feb c)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppatra
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining 2 lines in a file into 1 line

Hi all, I have a file with lot of lines with repeating pattern. ( TABLE_NAME line followed by Total line). I would like combine these two lines into one line seperated by cama and create a new file. Is there a simple way to do this. Current Format ( just a sample 4 lines ) TABLE_NAME:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKNENI
10 Replies

4. Programming

PERL:Combining multiple lines to single line

Hi All I need a small help for the below format in making a small script in Perl or Shell. I have a file in which a single line entries are broken into three line entries. Eg: I have a pen and notebook. All i want is to capture in a single line in a separate file. eg: I have a pen and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalaiela
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading two lines in a while loop and combining the lines

Dear all, I have a file like this: imput scaffold_0 1 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 20000 scaffold_0 25000 scaffold_1 1 scaffold_1 10000 scaffold_1 20000 scaffold_1 23283 and I want the output like this: scaffold_0 1 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 10000 scaffold_0 20000... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining lines in to one line

Hi Friends, I have a file1.txt 1001 jkilo yrhfm 200056 jhdf rjhwjkrh 3+u8jk5h3 uru ehjk 1002 jkfhk hfjkd 2748395 fdjksfh hefjkh 3hdfk ejkh kjhjke In the above if you see the firt charcter of each line mentioned in red has a pattern . I need to create another file where , the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple block of lines in one comma separated line

Hi Everyone, On my Linux box I have a text file having block of few lines and this block lines separated by one blank line. I would like to format and print these lines in such a way that this entire block of lines will come as single comma separated line & again next block of lines in next... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining two lines into one, UNIX

Hi All, I have a file which has the following sample lines -- <Member name="Canada" Currency="CAD" -- <Member name="UK" Currency="GBP" -- <Member name="Switzerland" Currency="CHF" -- <Member name="Germany" Currency="EUR" -- (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining lines into a single line

i have a file (where the column values are separated by ' and the text can be enclosed in ~) which contains data in form of 4461,2,~Basic: 2 Years/Unlimited Miles Drivetrain: Gas Engine 2 Years/Unlimited Miles Duramax Engine 3 Years/Unlimited... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulchandak
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log4j combining lines to single line

Hi, Our log4j file contents look like this: 2018-11-20T00:06:58,888 INFO ql.Driver: Executing command(queryId=hive_20181120000656_49af4ad0-1d37-4312-872c-a247ed80c181): CREATE TABLE RESULTS.E7014485_ALL_HMS_CAP1 AS SELECT name,dept from employee Where employee='Jeff'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
4 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)