Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Total Noob BASH scripting question Post 303015429 by Dirk_Pitt on Wednesday 4th of April 2018 05:38:24 PM
Old 04-04-2018
it's a simple txt tile with these lines

Code:

Last edited by vgersh99; 04-04-2018 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: once again - code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting question re: newlines

I'm writing a bash script to search the contents of a postfix log. To keep the script's output readable (since multiple lines from the log file need to be echo'ed) I am setting the IFS variable to an empty string so that the line breaks in my grep results are preserved. I am storing the results... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: retrovertigo
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting, question about a variable

Hey, So I've run into a problem, due to my limited knowledge of Bash scripting. Basically I've got a long script and I want to understand it before I even try and edit it. As long as I don't understand the script, I will not bother editing it. Anyway, the following variable confuses me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abciscool
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total noob script

Hi i am a total noob at shell scripting. i was wondering if somebody could help me with my script. i want the script to search the dev folder for the burner file because they are different between distrubutions? as i under stand it. this i the script. #!/bin/bash echo "Script för att bränna 360... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MatsO
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob scripting question with android ADB commands

Hi I'm pretty new to scripting and I've been googling around looking for an answer but have yet to come up with a proper solution. I work with multiple android devices at a time and I'm looking to simplify my life with a script. Basically I'm looking for a script that takes the device ID's and then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Onyoursix
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Noob to Shell Scripting

Hello. I'm attempting to create a shell script to assist me by saving time with one of my hobbies. I am an Android Enthusiast and currently build a few roms for one of the devices. One of the roms I make is ported from a different device to mine (I get the original for the HTC Desire HD and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JHutson456
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting question

have a script that calls child scripts depending on conditions. All of the child scripts source in a common file that contains shared functions. At the moment each script has to source this file itself, is there a way for the master script to automagically source the file for them? For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redman
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Noob Expect Scripting Question

I'm having some difficulty with convincing Expect to do what I need.. I have a loop that waits for input, a specific phrase of text followed by a single word. I need Expect to capture that word following the specific phrase. It should then store the word in a variable. I'm fairly sure it's... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LongLeafTea
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Bash Scripting Question

Hello, I am new to Linux and studying to become a Unix System Admin. I am taking a course in which I was practicing creating a bash script to ping a particular IP address. The script can be found below: #/bin/bash echo "Enter the IP address" read ip if then ping -c 1 $ip if ;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shah9250
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Noob to scripting needs some assistance

Hello, I am in a Unix class and have been out of town. I have been tasked to generate a couple of scripts and ahve never done it before. I have a virtual machine running Ubuntu. The task is below Prompt the system administrator for all valid input parameters Generate a menu to ask which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jkeeton81
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Noob question: How to check the total number of inputs entered by user?

Say I have this line: read -p "Enter 3 numbers: " num1 num2 num3; I want to write a while loop that repeatedly asks for input if the number of inputs entered is not equal to 3. I don't know the correct command to find the number of inputs entered. Help, please? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jejemonx
4 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)